Am I going overkill

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Am I going overkill

Post by GTO Kroh »

Hey guys. I put a video together for my channel on converting 5.56 to 300blk. I would like your opinions. Am I going overkill on my coversion process? Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance guys!!
https://youtu.be/piQZnOxn6WU
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Am I going overkill

Post by GTO Kroh »

34 views and noone wants to talk?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

A bit long winded but great for the 3% of reloaders that might have a Dillon 1050. Once seeing the set up, I began to skip ahead in about 3 minute increments. Fancy tumbler and then a fancy neck annealer and I lost interest other than thinking "I wish I could afford that stuff". You just showed the easy way to convert the brass for those who can afford it. I do not shoot enough to justify the Dillon expenditure. For the cost of what you have, I could buy 5 life times worth of already processed brass from vendors on the forum and save all the time and trouble.

Please do not take offense to my critique. You asked for a honest opinion.
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTO Kroh »

smustian wrote:A bit long winded but great for the 3% of reloaders that might have a Dillon 1050. Once seeing the set up, I began to skip ahead in about 3 minute increments. Fancy tumbler and then a fancy neck annealer and I lost interest other than thinking "I wish I could afford that stuff". You just showed the easy way to convert the brass for those who can afford it. I do not shoot enough to justify the Dillon expenditure. For the cost of what you have, I could buy 5 life times worth of already processed brass from vendors on the forum and save all the time and trouble.

Please do not take offense to my critique. You asked for a honest opinion.
None taken. I knew you wouldnt let me down smus. Yes I have alot invested. But I make 9mm bye the thousands for pistol competition in the summer. Plus having an ffl03. I got a healthy discount on the 1050. I know its a spendy setup. Not for everyone. Im aware. Im working on the long windedness but it seems like every time I try to do a video and not have it be 20-30 min. At the end of editing. Its 20-30 min. Damn thats a long time to listen to a dumb redneck ramble.
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

You have some serious gear there and definitely saves times for sure. If you get good accuracy out of it it's not overkill.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

GTO Kroh wrote:None taken. I knew you wouldnt let me down smus. Yes I have alot invested. But I make 9mm bye the thousands for pistol competition in the summer. Plus having an ffl03. I got a healthy discount on the 1050. I know its a spendy setup. Not for everyone. Im aware. Im working on the long windedness but it seems like every time I try to do a video and not have it be 20-30 min. At the end of editing. Its 20-30 min. Damn thats a long time to listen to a dumb redneck ramble.
If you are reloading thousands of rounds for just the summer usage, you can justify the cost. Your discount makes it even more appealing. Time saved with the case/bullet feeders would be huge. Definitely a top of the line set up. You know I actually jealous, right?
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

Hey GTO, Ill give a little well meaning feedback.
First on the process, just some ideas. Why not anneal the 223 case first then use a small base 223 die to full length size. This will get all the brass where it needs to be so you dont change lengths after trimming with future resizing. If you want to run it through a blackout die do it while reloading...just use that die in your first position and press on.

On the video itself:
I make some videos and I'm always trying to improve so its with humbleness that I comment.

The average attention span on youtube is about 6 min. There are basically 2 types of videos...entertainment and informational and some cross over covering both. There are videos for every audience and you cant please them all. I have watched one guy, an old curmudgeon who just turns on the camera and rambles about axe handles or whatever. He has near 8000 subs...kinda cool.

If you're making an entertaining video, keep it moving and know your up against the 6 min mark. If your making an informational/instructional video you will loose most of the casual watchers but for those who want to learn you should cover the process thoroughly just try to keep it as short as you can.

So for your video. Edit edit....Take the tumbler part. Loading the cases in, show the cases going in for continuity then cut fade (dont make us watch spilling and picking up brass unless it has entertainment value). Show the water going in then cut and fade to soap and lemishine.

So when I watched, I would have liked to see the tool head better so I could see what you were doing. I wondered why you chose to do it in the order you did. I thought the anneal part was good because you talked about timing and color but maybe add why your doing it for the newbies.

Anyway, I know its a process and I struggle with it myself. Something is always out of focus, out of frame and they are all too long bla bla bla lol, but its nice when someone PMs you and said you really helped them...good luck to you sir.
TTF
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTO Kroh »

TreeTopFlier wrote:Hey GTO, Ill give a little well meaning feedback.
First on the process, just some ideas. Why not anneal the 223 case first then use a small base 223 die to full length size. This will get all the brass where it needs to be so you dont change lengths after trimming with future resizing. If you want to run it through a blackout die do it while reloading...just use that die in your first position and press on.

On the video itself:
I make some videos and I'm always trying to improve so its with humbleness that I comment.

The average attention span on youtube is about 6 min. There are basically 2 types of videos...entertainment and informational and some cross over covering both. There are videos for every audience and you cant please them all. I have watched one guy, an old curmudgeon who just turns on the camera and rambles about axe handles or whatever. He has near 8000 subs...kinda cool.

If you're making an entertaining video, keep it moving and know your up against the 6 min mark. If your making an informational/instructional video you will loose most of the casual watchers but for those who want to learn you should cover the process thoroughly just try to keep it as short as you can.

So for your video. Edit edit....Take the tumbler part. Loading the cases in, show the cases going in for continuity then cut fade (dont make us watch spilling and picking up brass unless it has entertainment value). Show the water going in then cut and fade to soap and lemishine.

So when I watched, I would have liked to see the tool head better so I could see what you were doing. I wondered why you chose to do it in the order you did. I thought the anneal part was good because you talked about timing and color but maybe add why your doing it for the newbies.

Anyway, I know its a process and I struggle with it myself. Something is always out of focus, out of frame and they are all too long bla bla bla lol, but its nice when someone PMs you and said you really helped them...good luck to you sir.
TTF
Thank you very much sir!!! and yes it is indeed a process.... I like to think I am getting a little better only being a couple months in... thank you very much for the pointers I will keep them in mind.

and the process I do the .223 then go to the trimmer (most people cut them off at the shoulder where im running straight uncut 5.56/.223) cause I tried just using the 300blk and having a lot to trim off and had issues with stuck cases.... I go to the rotary tumbler to clean very well deburr and it cleans the case mouths up very nice... anneal... and the reason I go back and size with the small base 300blk is to have the ball expander run through the case necks after annealed (the word I went blank on in the video) just as an extra im probably anal step and trim again in case any extra case neck thickness lengthened the cases.
smustian wrote:
GTO Kroh wrote:None taken. I knew you wouldnt let me down smus. Yes I have alot invested. But I make <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/13/0/19/Dea ... SKU=520313" rel="nofollow"><span>9mm</span></a> bye the thousands for <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/13/0/19/Dea ... SKU=212674" rel="nofollow"><span>pistol</span></a> competition in the summer. Plus having an ffl03. I got a healthy discount on the 1050. I know its a spendy setup. Not for everyone. Im aware. Im working on the long windedness but it seems like every time I try to do a video and not have it be 20-30 min. At the end of editing. Its 20-30 min. Damn thats a long time to listen to a dumb redneck ramble.
If you are <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/13/0/19/Dea ... SKU=847765" rel="nofollow"><span>reloading</span></a> thousands of <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/13/0/19/Dea ... SKU=113796" rel="nofollow"><span>rounds</span></a> for just the summer usage, you can justify the cost. Your discount makes it even more appealing. Time saved with the case/bullet feeders would be huge. Definitely a top of the line set up. You know I actually jealous, right?
Not trying to make you jealous but I am humbled bye it thank you... If you lived closer I would be more than happy to invite you over to bring your materials and have a reloading party...lol