Target fps for subsonic hunting loads?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Klem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Target fps for subsonic hunting loads?

Post by Klem »

thresk wrote:^^Thank you both for the great info, I should have mentioned this is for a bolt rifle, using W231 powder as it's the fastest I have on hand.
dellet wrote:Bullet flight noise will be determined more by bullet shape than anything else. The 168 Lehigh will probably be in the running as one of the loudest.

What other factors besides ballistic coeff. do you need to look at? I just figured the higher the bc, the quieter but idk.
Klem wrote:The muzzle pressure (sound) between a 168gn and 220gn is almost the same so you won't save any sound at the firing point.
Hmm didn't know the pressure was so similar, might have to look at some heavier bullets (don't want to go lower as it will need to take down hogs up to 200lb).
If it's a bolt gun then you don't need enough pressure to cycle an action. That's one less variable you have to worry about and you should be able to make it quieter. Just make sure that whatever powder you choose fills the available case space to at least 80%, so as to prevent Flash-Over and SEE. Bullet shape and seating depth affect available case space so I use the software Quickload for this.

I'm thinking BC is a clumsy indicator of bullet flight sound. BC is a function of two variables; drag coefficient and sectional density (mass and diameter). Drag coefficient or how the bullet travels through the air would be a good indicator of sound but mass and diameter are not. Some bullets are designed to minimise drag coefficient, for example 'VLD' (Very Low Drag) so they would be a good choice for being quieter in flight. My experience with hunting subsonic is not to expect the bullets to do very much when they hit, regardless of design. Essentially the Blackout is an accurate .45ACP handgun. Shooting 220gn at subsonic speeds...it's the same as a Colt .45. You have to stalk up to 100yards when using subsonics so it's even more like a handgun round. They kill by crush trail only. There's no temporary wound cavity and kinetic shock. The bullet rarely comes apart and if it does don't expect it to have much effect on the animal. Videos of impressive ballistic gel tests and how many water jugs get penetrated are a far cry from my experience...It's like bow hunting. It's all down to getting close and accurate shot placement so you may as well use a target bullet with low drag. I prefer 220SMK's because they have the added benefit of tumbling on impact. At least that's something more than laser-beaming through the target.

Most likely the loudest sounds are going to be the 'slap' of the animal being hit and the 'zing' of the ricochet as it exits the other side. If you miss and the bullet hits the ground or enough foliage it often tumbles so there's a 'zing' sound that will spook animals. Heavy, slow bullets tend to do this. Also, the animal reacting suddenly when hit tends to panic the rest of the sounder or herd. Not much you can do about the slap, or zing or what the animal does when hit except accurate shot placement. In lighter animals the bullet always exits so you get an audible slap followed by a zing off into the distance. I've tried almost all of the heavy subsonic bullets including Blackout Bullets and Outlaw State and they all act like monoliths. Recovered bullets are dented but that's about it. All this activity at the traget never fails to spook the nearby herd so you only get one shot. Plus don't forget you will be no more than 100yds from your target so they might already know you are there and are primed to run at the slightest excuse.

Unsure whether you have any influence over this but the longer the barrel the lower the muzzle pressure when the bullet exits the muzzle. The more barrel volume the more space there is to contain the pressure and cool the expanding gas. Like Dellet says, choose your powder carefully to give you the lowest muzzle pressure for 1,010fps.

What is the length of your barrel?
Last edited by Klem on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Klem wrote: They kill by crush trail only. There's no temporary wound cavity and kinetic shock. The bullet rarely comes apart and if it does don't expect it to have much effect on the animal.
Maybe you should take look at these. http://www.makerbullets.com/proddetail. ... 308200SBLK
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Post by Klem »

smustian wrote:
Klem wrote: They kill by crush trail only. There's no temporary wound cavity and kinetic shock. The bullet rarely comes apart and if it does don't expect it to have much effect on the animal.
Maybe you should take look at these. http://www.makerbullets.com/proddetail. ... 308200SBLK
Maybe, but I doubt this would be any different to Blackout Bullets with their version of hollow point, striated jackets. Or a hollow point .45ACP or wad cutter for that matter. They are all still low velocity kills. You are dealing with something between bow hunting and supersonic centrefire hunting. Even with heavy 220gn projectiles the Blackout is still only being loaded to 2/3 it's SAAMI peak pressure. In other words we handicap the calibre to ensure subsonic velocity, and this becomes obvious when you hunt flesh. You are hunting with an accurate handgun.

SAAMI Peak Pressure limit = 55,000lbs
220SMK = 25,000lbs.
110TSXT with Trail Boss = 20,000lbs.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Klem wrote:
smustian wrote:
Maybe, but I doubt this would be any different to Blackout Bullets with their version of hollow point, striated jackets. Or a hollow point .45ACP or wad cutter for that matter. They are all still low velocity kills. You are dealing with something between bow hunting and supersonic centrefire hunting. Even with heavy 220gn projectiles the Blackout is still only being loaded to 2/3 it's SAAMI peak pressure. In other words we handicap the calibre to ensure subsonic velocity, and this becomes obvious when you hunt flesh. You are hunting with an accurate handgun.

SAAMI Peak Pressure limit = 55,000lbs
220SMK = 25,000lbs.
110TSXT with Trail Boss = 20,000lbs.
Barrel pressure has no relationship to available impact energy. 220 grains at 1000 fps will have the same pounds of energy no matter how much pressure pushed it out the barrel.

Heres a permanent wound channel you can expect in 10% gel at 850 fps, top track.

17" of penetration the bullet just exiting the gel. Nice spiral cut, bullet expanded just over an inch.

Here's where it was written up originally

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=97863&hilit=maker ... &start=150

For what it's worth the 100 grain version will penetrate about 9-10" and expand to .75" at 800 FPS

Yes, it is closer to handgun or bow hunting, but I actually prefer meat that has been bled out than pulverized.

Not right or wrong just different, but to say you can't have expansion and penetration is not correct.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Post by Klem »

No offence Dellet, but I find these online arguments with high-post count members tedious. This is not a knowledge competition and nor do I care about perceived forum status. I am responding to the OP who is wanting to know something I am familiar with and am not interested in arguing my experience.

My experience, and I have used the Blackout since it was first released onto the market, is that heavy bullets tend to over-penetrate and expanding bullets do not have the impact on the target that their marketing and gel tests imply. Impressive stats of how many jugs of water it penetrates is another way of saying it takes valuable killing energy out the other side of the target and off into the distance.

In subsonic hunting animals die slowly and often require a second shot up close. Compared to supersonic shooting there is a noticeable difference and unless you want to show me bullets with HE filling then there's little more these fancy striated jackets can do than one that tumbles through flesh. On that, I once destroyed an expensive suppressor thanks to one of the petals of LeHigh's 78gn CQB bullets flying apart within the can. I notice they now have an RPM caveat on their website to avoid what the public discovered for them. I might try your tri-petal bullets at some stage but have got to the stage where I have a reasonable sense of how bullets work relative to each other.

To the OP, my advice is to try your 168gn SMK idea. If nothing else it will be interesting. They are cheap, available and if anything like the 220SMK's they will yaw through flesh.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Klem wrote:No offence Dellet, but I find these online arguments with high-post count members tedious. This is not a knowledge competition and nor do I care about perceived forum status. I am responding to the OP who is wanting to know something I am familiar with and am not interested in arguing my experience.

My experience, and I have used the Blackout since it was first released onto the market, is that heavy <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=bullets" rel="nofollow"><span>bullets</span></a> tend to over-penetrate and expanding bullets do not have the impact on the target that their marketing and gel tests imply. Impressive stats of how many jugs of water it penetrates is another way of saying it takes valuable killing energy out the other side of the target and off into the distance.

In subsonic hunting animals die slowly and often require a second shot up close. Compared to supersonic shooting there is a noticeable difference and unless you want to show me bullets with HE filling then there's little more these fancy striated jackets can do than one that tumbles through flesh. On that, I once destroyed an expensive suppressor thanks to one of the petals of LeHigh's 78gn CQB bullets flying apart within the can. I notice they now have an RPM caveat on their website to avoid what the public discovered for them. I might try your tri-petal bullets at some stage but have got to the stage where I have a reasonable sense of how bullets work relative to each other.

To the OP, my advice is to try your 168gn SMK idea. If nothing else it will be interesting. They are cheap, available and if anything like the 220SMK's they will yaw through flesh.
No offense taken, no argument intended.

There's not enough exchange of differing opinions and good information around here.

The CQB Lehighs were a disappointment. They knew within days of releasing those that there was a huge problem and chose not to do anything about it. I was lucky enough to only lose a tripod for a chronograph when they came apart for me.

Last fall was really the first hunting season for the Makers, feed back was good. The nice thing about Paul is that he really is trying to fill the needs of the Blackout community.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

thresk wrote:
What other factors besides ballistic coeff. do you need to look at? I just figured the higher the bc, the quieter but idk.
While BC is important to bullet flight, remember, the BC of any projectile changes as speed changes. Looking at the advertised BC of any given bullet will be looking at it at it's top speed it was designed to fly at.

You will be starting at the speed most ballisticians have trouble computing numbers or predicting how a bullet will fly. The good thing is you start in the transonic and drop to subsonic within feet of the muzzle instead of suffering through the super, trans and sub transition.

The quietest bullets ( flight noise ) do tend to be the sleeker variety, but to reiterate dellets experiences, if it looks like a Mack truck up front, it's going to sound like one.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote: if it looks like a Mack truck up front, it's going to sound like one.
Well, crap. That explains it.
(The air horn doesn't help, either)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bangbangping wrote:
rebel wrote: if it looks like a Mack truck up front, it's going to sound like one.
Well, crap. That explains it.
(The air horn doesn't help, either)
Nor the jake brakes................
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
pd_3307
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pd_3307 »

Does the trailer on that truck have the new modular "boat tail" trailer? Lol :P