30 Mauser Dies For .300BLK Pistol Bullets? SOLVED!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

30 Mauser Dies For .300BLK Pistol Bullets? SOLVED!

Post by Steve Urquell »

I load mostly sub pistol bullets for my 300BLK CVA single shot. It is a pain to get pistol bullets to seat properly. I have used the Lee Universal expander with some success but still cock the shorter 30 mauser and 90gr XTPs with some frequency. I think I need a pistol type expander ball.

I have a Lee Pro 1000 3 die progressive press in .223 and was kicking around using it for 300BLK by using the 300BLK resizing die, 30mauser powder thru expander die and .30 mauser bullet seater--which I'm hoping will crimp like other pistol dies. An alternative would be to use the 30 carbine expander ball in a .38 SPL powder thru expander die but I'd have to do a separate stage to use the factory crimp die off the progressive.

Looking at case dimensions, it looks like it will work due to the mauser having a fatter case below the neck and close (333 vs 334)outside neck diameter as the 300BLK. Has anyone done this? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by Steve Urquell on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Re: 30 Mauser Dies For .300BLK Pistol Bullets?

Post by 80hp »

Let me suggest a cheaper and simpler solution. Since you already have a Lee universal expander, try an accessory expander plug from Noe ($6.50)
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php? ... mvkjqda7g1
The Lee universal expanders and powder through expanders are tapered and only flair the mouth of the cartridge to prevent bullet shaving. The Noe, like the Lyman 'm' die, will expand the neck of the cartridge to a uniform diameter and put a slightly larger diameter section on the case mouth to guide the bullet and prevent shaving the bullet. I adjust mine to allow a bullet to be started into the case, like a cork in a bottle.
The first dimension of the Noe is the diameter of the mouth, it should be at least .001" larger than the bullet the second number refers to expanded diameter. For example, for .311" cast bullets, I use a .312 x .308 plug.
A .311 x .307 should work well in a single shot, using .308 or .309 bullets. You don't have to crimp for a single shot, unless the cartridges will be roughly handled. Some loaders use a Lee FCD to just remove the flair at the mouth of the case.
Also, check the seating stem to see if it properly fits the nose of the bullet.
An old reloader's trick is to seat the bullet, then turn it 180deg and seat it again to minimize runout.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

80hp wrote:Let me suggest a cheaper and simpler solution. Since you already have a Lee universal expander, try an accessory expander plug from Noe ($6.50)
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php? ... mvkjqda7g1
The Lee universal expanders and powder through expanders are tapered and only flair the mouth of the cartridge to prevent bullet shaving. The Noe, like the Lyman 'm' die, will expand the neck of the cartridge to a uniform diameter and put a slightly larger diameter section on the case mouth to guide the bullet and prevent shaving the bullet. I adjust mine to allow a bullet to be started into the case, like a cork in a bottle.
The first dimension of the Noe is the diameter of the mouth, it should be at least .001" larger than the bullet the second number refers to expanded diameter. For example, for .311" cast bullets, I use a .312 x .308 plug.
A .311 x .307 should work well in a single shot, using .308 or .309 bullets. You don't have to crimp for a single shot, unless the cartridges will be roughly handled. Some loaders use a Lee FCD to just remove the flair at the mouth of the case.
Also, check the seating stem to see if it properly fits the nose of the bullet.
An old reloader's trick is to seat the bullet, then turn it 180deg and seat it again to minimize runout.
M.
Thanks for that. I read a bit about people having issues loading 7.62 tok with Lee dies having the same issues I am having with cocked bullets. Those expanders look like the way to go. Looks like I may resize off the progressive then flare prime charge and seat on it.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

I load those bullets in the tokarev cartridge and had a lot of trouble with cocked bullets like you. I swapped out the seating die for a Hornady 30 Luger die. 30 mauser die would work the same. Hornady uses telescopic internals to hold the bullet square till it gets to the seating pin. This die and reducing neck tension to no more than .003" was a fix. Those dies are getting scarce but maybe you could buy direct from hornady... The 30 luger is item number 044141

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/216757 ... e-30-luger
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

TreeTopFlier wrote:I load those bullets in the tokarev cartridge and had a lot of trouble with cocked bullets like you. I swapped out the seating die for a Hornady 30 Luger die. 30 mauser die would work the same. Hornady uses telescopic internals to hold the bullet square till it gets to the seating pin. This die and reducing neck tension to no more than .003" was a fix. Those dies are getting scarce but maybe you could buy direct from hornady... The 30 luger is item number 044141

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/216757 ... e-30-luger
Looks like they make a seater with the same setup for .300BLK. Looks like that may be the way to go. 2 great ideas. Thanks fellas!
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

SO, you guys got me thinking. I almost bought Hornady dies and the expander but I went on Lee Precision's site and started looking at die parts. Ordered a .30 Carbine powder thru expander plug, .30 Mauser bullet seater plug, and a .32 ACP powder thru expander plug in case the .30carb wasn't big enough. The .30 carb was perfect put in my .38 powder thru expander die and I just assembled 70rds of the 86gr Mauser RN bullets with no cocking. I bet the .32 expander would be great for lead boolits.

Cost was $0 for parts, $7 shipping. Lee doesn't charge for parts.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

Steve Urquell wrote:SO, you guys got me thinking. I almost bought Hornady dies and the expander but I went on Lee Precision's site and started looking at die parts. Ordered a .30 Carbine powder thru expander plug, .30 Mauser bullet seater plug, and a .32 ACP powder thru expander plug in case the .30carb wasn't big enough. The .30 carb was perfect put in my .38 powder thru expander die and I just assembled 70rds of the 86gr Mauser RN bullets with no cocking. I bet the .32 expander would be great for lead boolits.

Nice!
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Steve Urquell wrote:SO, you guys got me thinking. I almost bought Hornady dies and the expander but I went on Lee Precision's site and started looking at die parts. Ordered a .30 Carbine powder thru expander plug, .30 Mauser bullet seater plug, and a .32 ACP powder thru expander plug in case the .30carb wasn't big enough. The .30 carb was perfect put in my .38 powder thru expander die and I just assembled 70rds of the 86gr Mauser RN bullets with no cocking. I bet the .32 expander would be great for lead boolits.

How did this work out? I was about to have a friend order the rifle adapter for his auto drum and a universal flaring die. This sounds like a better fix.
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

GunFunZS wrote:

How did this work out? I was about to have a friend order the rifle adapter for his auto drum and a universal flaring die. This sounds like a better fix.
It's perfect. Works just like using a pistol neck expanding die. I didn't have any problems loading a bunch of the 86gr .30 Mauser bullets.

I haven't set up my pro 1000 press yet but will be able to when I'm ready. The one thing I need to work on is the depth of the flare to keep from belling the case mouth. I ended up running all of the cases thru the FCD after loading to iron them out.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Steve Urquell wrote:
GunFunZS wrote:

It's perfect. Works just like using a pistol neck expanding die. I didn't have any problems loading a bunch of the 86gr .30 Mauser bullets.

I haven't set up my pro 1000 press yet but will be able to when I'm ready. The one thing I need to work on is the depth of the flare to keep from belling the case mouth. I ended up running all of the cases thru the FCD after loading to iron them out.
The flare is the primary draw, since I do cast lead. I don't want to shave bullets, so flare is necessary. I just used Lee's Universal Rifle Charging Die set, with the long brass insert. I found it had a few objectionable traits: 1) I had to steal it from my 308 turret. 2) It had some dings on the soft brass either from clunking around during a couple moves or manufacturing that put notches into my brass. 3) If the brass shifted even slightly off center due to a loose shell keeper, the insert would strike off center on the case mouth and ruin the brass.

So I did a couple things: 1) While using my press as single stage to adjust the powder measure, I made sure to keep the brass firmly in the shell plate, since the rifle charging die is not sized to hold a 300 BO case centered, 2) I took the brass insert out and chucked it into a drill to shave off the dinged up portion. I also increased the taper to allow it to work as a flaring die a little. then I used a cartridge reamer to debur the ID of the insert. It worked well enough.

I still think I want this 30 mauser charging die simply to free up my rifle charging die and because it centers and flares intentionally.