Handloading with no chrono

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

wscrst

Handloading with no chrono

Post by wscrst »

I am about to begin handloading for my AR. My only goal is to create quiet subs to fire off in my backyard. I was going to buy a chronograph but I cannot find an entry level chrono that does not have reviews listing malfunctions, errors, trouble in certain light or heat, etc. I am now thinking that I will just pick a powder and bullet and load until the cartridge is quiet. Help me. Tell me why I need to know the fps. Tell me what budget friendly chrono (caldwell, shooting chrony alpha, competition electronic pro chrono pal, etc.) is the most reliable. Thanks for the help.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Handloading with no chrono

Post by bangbangping »

I've had a Shooting Chrony for about two decades and it's still going. Shoot straight through in reasonable light and it works just fine. I wouldn't have a problem recommending one to someone on a budget who isn't looking for fancy features.

But you don't need a chrono to load subs as long as you don't care about velocity, consistency, or sticking a bullet.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

For about $100 you can get the pro chrono on Amazon. It has 360+ reviews and is rated 4.5 stars. Looks pretty good to me. The Caldwell is rated 4 stars. Some like the clamp on the barrel magneto something or other. I do not want anything that will distort harmonics so that one is out for me. As far as the usefulness of a chrono when reloading, it is proven that when testing loads that the load with the lowest Extreme Spread is the usually the most accurate. Speed is also needed if you are using a ballistics calculator for drop charts. Your ear will not pick up most changes in sound levels so for you to rely on them when shooting subs is putting you at a disadvantage from the start.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

wscrst wrote:I am about to begin handloading for my AR. My only goal is to create quiet subs to fire off in my backyard. I was going to buy a chronograph but I cannot find an entry level chrono that does not have reviews listing malfunctions, errors, trouble in certain light or heat, etc. I am now thinking that I will just pick a powder and bullet and load until the cartridge is quiet. Help me. Tell me why I need to know the fps. Tell me what budget friendly chrono (caldwell, shooting chrony alpha, competition electronic pro chrono pal, etc.) is the most reliable. Thanks for the help.
Dollars to donuts 99% of the negative reviews are from people not setting them up properly, ie: in direct sunlight without shades or too close to muzzle. Nothing wrong with a $99 Caldwell.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

A chronograph is important enough to my shooting and load development that a future purchase will probably be an investment. Like smus, the magneto is hanging weight on the barrel and in my experience, throws shots off so you are wasting components and barrel life.
Plus side is that they are very accurate. I've looked hard at lab radar and hoping newer versions become a bit more user friendly.
For now I have 2 pro chronys. The industry standard for accurate measurements are one of these -

http://www.oehler-research.com/model35.html

I would never attempt a sub load without a chronograph just as I would never attempt a precision 500 yard load without one.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Can you get by without one? yes

Would I recommend it? no

Example. one year I messed up my chrono, my fault, sent it in for repair, no I did not shoot it. pulled the cord to hard and messed it up. While it was out I tried to develop a hunting load by ear. shooting for 950 to 1000fps, well when I got the Chrono back and checked my load I was at 850 fps. the load worked, took 2 deer with it, but it would have been better to have it closer to my mark then I was.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

I have two chronos....well I have had three in my shooting years. (One failed when struck by a 125 SST :roll: )

Everyone has their preferences, I was not sure where I would be until I got both......a shooting chrony and a Magnetospeed chrony. Maybe its the 16" barrel, maybe its the 300 BO, but hanging a magnetospeed off the barrel has had 0-nada-no affect on my shot groups. Where it shines is the speed in which you can get it set up and shoot for data. It is light years faster then my shooting chrony. Plus, you don't have a ceasefire and go forward on the shooting line! No sky screens, no problems with too much or too little light, no errors on failing to pick up by both sensors.

Anyways, I have shot over a shooting chrony for many years. When I screwed up and put the SST through it, the first thing I did when I got home was to order another!! Then later on a "whim", I decided to try the Magnetospeed and ordered one. The shooting chrony has been collecting dust since!

BTW, I probably would be hesitant to hang a chrony off the barrel of a lighter barreled, higher speed, finer shooting rifle with the thought of messing with barrel harmonics, but that too may pass after I try it!!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

wscrst wrote:I am about to begin handloading for my AR. My only goal is to create quiet subs to fire off in my backyard. I was going to buy a chronograph but I cannot find an entry level chrono that does not have reviews listing malfunctions, errors, trouble in certain light or heat, etc. I am now thinking that I will just pick a powder and bullet and load until the cartridge is quiet. Help me. Tell me why I need to know the fps. Tell me what budget friendly chrono (caldwell, shooting chrony alpha, competition electronic pro chrono pal, etc.) is the most reliable. Thanks for the help.

The entry level Magnetospeed would be my recommendation.
Sporter here - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/89662 ... hronograph $180

I've had the V1 and have the V3.

Before you cringe at the $180 price tag realize that with a traditional chrony you will likely want to buy:

-Infrared sky screen (helps with bad light conditions)
-Tripod (to stand up at various heights)
-Electrical portion of the chrony
-Extensions, cases, etc.

Add all that extra stuff up with the unit itself and guess what? Your total price tag will be close or more than the $180 Magnetospeed.

Another bonus with the Magnetospeed is no need to go down range and set it up. Just attach and go.
Drawbacks: no use on pistols, bows, etc.

I hope this info helps :)
Larry B
Silent But Deadly

Post by Larry B »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNKUAgpKNY
I have the chrony F1 master. No complaints. Can't speak to other ones as have only used the chrony.
The link is to a video of iraqveteran8888 comparing an Ohler35 to a Chrony F1
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Post by IMGrunt »

Totally agree with Sig220 on the magnetospeed. Great for building loads here in Colorado when the winter weather just won't cooperate. Indoor rifle range here won't permit chronos downrange. Bayonet is very light and I've had no issues with zero shifts or grouping for either 5.56 or 300BO. Utility of downloading data to excel spreadsheets is especially useful for tracking and cataloging.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." -- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army