Handloading with no chrono

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

BillJ
Silent Operator

Re: Handloading with no chrono

Post by BillJ »

The failure of the mag speed is the inability to use all guns with it.
With the sub $100 caldwell you can do anything from a 2" snubnose to a 50 BMG.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

BillJ wrote:The failure of the mag speed is the inability to use all guns with it.
It is not a failure, when you know how it mounts. Its simplicity at its best for me. No fuss, no bothering others, no sky screens, no shutting the range down to set up tripods, then adjust tripods (careful there, that is part of what led me to put a SST through one lol ). Of course, I have the best of both worlds......a magnetospeed and a shooting chrony.

So my advice is to find one that the OP is happy with.......and go from there. Since he already said he was working on a 300BO, both will work and it will depend on how much he wants to work with it.
BillJ
Silent Operator

Post by BillJ »

Sig220 wrote:
BillJ wrote:The failure of the mag speed is the inability to use all guns with it.
It is not a failure, when you know how it mounts. Its simplicity at its best for me. No fuss, no bothering others, no sky screens, no shutting the range down to set up tripods, then adjust tripods (careful there, that is part of what led me to put a SST through one lol ). Of course, I have the best of both worlds......a magnetospeed and a shooting chrony.

So my advice is to find one that the OP is happy with.......and go from there. Since he already said he was working on a 300BO, both will work and it will depend on how much he wants to work with it.
No muss no fuss is lab radar.
I think the mag speed was a good idea with a major shortcoming. The one I played with for a few months was great, till it came time to test a 9mm round in a pistol without a rail, or a 38 round in a 3" revolver. Also in my experience they don't work well with big belted magnum calibers.
wscrst

Post by wscrst »

Great information. Thank you for all of the responses. Am I correct that the magnetospeed would not attach to my suppressor? If not, do users of this device work up your loads without the suppressor? I am new to suppression, and I do not know how the speed and accuracy would be affected by having suppressor vs. no suppressor. I definitely have to give more thought to where I would have my setup and how it would all come together. Great discussion.
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

Check out the video linked in this thread. Makes a F1 basic Chrony much more convenient.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=100073
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Post by IMGrunt »

Magnetospeed will attach to suppressor. V3 is designed for barrel devices up to 2 inches. Can't speak to the Sport model.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." -- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Trying to load without a chrony is like having sex with your clothes still on.

It's just better if you do it the right way.

Get a chrony.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

I've been reloading for 35 years without one.
9mm, 45, 357, 400, 380, 32 h&r
and H110 supers in the 300 with no worries
But if they de-list cans and I start working on subs
I will be getting one first thing
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I can't disagree or agree totally with what everyone has said about different makes and models. As you can see, there are advantages and disadvantages to all. What I said about my experiences with the MS sporter was true, I was shooting a heavy weight Shilen barrel at 300 yards and POI shift was 2/3rds MOA. You would never see that at 25 yards and barely at 50 yards.
So perhaps it was my application :lol:
The straps were troublesome to keep tight as well - at least for me. But the darn thing seemed to read everything and gave me readings to compare to my Pro Chrony.
The Lab Radar has caught a couple of guys at my ranges attention and they have pulled the trigger. There seems to be a bit of a learning curve and aiming the thing is critical.
Consensus is - if you load subs, you need a chronograph. I don't load anything without chronographs anymore. It's feedback on load performance.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

You are "stepping up" in the reloading world when you start playing in the sub-sonic game. Get the tools needed to do the job right. You really do need a chrono.