223 info but still, never met any better handloaders than on this forum

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Max713
Senior Silent Operator

223 info but still, never met any better handloaders than on this forum

Post by Max713 »

I know I know, blackout forum (love it), but I'm currently working on something in the 223 world.
I've asked elsewhere, but with the level of mastery in handloading I've seen and been helped by here, I'd be dumb not to ask!

I know there is no be-all-end-all for anything when it comes to handloading... But I'm looking for some new ideas.
I'm searching for a faster, while equally accurate varmint load for my varmint rig. Although unimportant, my rifle is a RRA based AR chambered in 223/556.

I have only ever used H335 in my 223 loads. Not that I have anything against anything else, but the 335 has worked great for me thus far. BUT! I'm searching for something.

As of now, I have a 50gr load at 3150 fps that will print 0.50" +/- 0.1" groups every single time, and 0.30" groups VERY regularly.

I also have a 40gr load at 3575 fps that prints 0.55" groups, mostly consistently.

My goal? I want as fast and accurate as possible. I don't care the bullet weight (within reason), the powder, etc. This rig is for rats only. Plain and simple. I need speed and precision.

I picked up some Varget the other day to play with some heavier loads, although those will more be for bragging rights on paper more than anything else. But I plan to experiment with it in the lighter loads as well.
I love the accuracy of my 50gr load, but its a bit slow for my liking. I'd really like to get up into the 3400 fps range with the same kind of accuracy.

Any insight?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: 223 info but still, never met any better handloaders than on this forum

Post by smustian »

I run 25.5g of Varget under a 55g fmj. Not sure of the velocity but is near max by the book. Do not see why it would not work with your 50g bullet.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Fast don't equate to accuracy and your twist rate may limit bullet selection
Max713
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Max713 »

TMD wrote:Fast don't equate to accuracy and your twist rate may limit bullet selection
I agree. Hence why my rather slow 3150fps load is so accurate. Still, fast and accurate is entirely possible.
My barrel is 1:8.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Well dang, if your getting that consistent kind of accuracy for smacking ground grizzlies, why change? Varget is a great powder, but for light varmint pills it will fill the case right up to the point of spilling out. If loading on a progressive it is a poor choice. Varget and .223 is a waste(I save this for .308 and 22-250) on rats, stick with the ball powders like you are now using.

I shoot ground squirrels and prairie dogs every year, for years, thousands of rounds and H335 is one of the best. You may also consider these: 2230/Exterminator; CFE 223; 748; BLc2; Tac. These all work pretty well with 50 gr Vmax or similar. You will have a bit better longer range consistent hits with 50's over 40 gr Vmax. The 40's are hoot if explosive action is what you seek. I have used many pounds of H335, but have been using considerable amounts of CFE to help abate copper fouling. CFE would be my choice for speed/accuracy/copper fouling.
anotherkelley
Silent But Deadly

Post by anotherkelley »

For Accuracty & Velocity - Compressed loads of Varget with any of Hornady & Nosler's tipped 50-60gr bullets has been hard for me to beat in my ARs.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Benchmark, 4108, 8208 xbr, and BLC 2 all give good velocities. 3400 may be asking for a lot out of 20" barrel. I load for a 6x45 ( 6mm/223) and my bolt with it's 24" barrel and with 87 grain bullets I am just right at 2850 fps for good accuracy. Out of the 20" AR that same load is just under 2700. I'd stick with the 40 grainers and try the powders mentioned and see what you get.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Max713
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Max713 »

TRshootem wrote:Well dang, if your getting that consistent kind of accuracy for smacking ground grizzlies, why change? Varget is a great powder, but for light varmint pills it will fill the case right up to the point of spilling out. If loading on a progressive it is a poor choice. Varget and .223 is a waste(I save this for .308 and 22-250) on rats, stick with the ball powders like you are now using.

I shoot ground squirrels and prairie dogs every year, for years, thousands of rounds and H335 is one of the best. You may also consider these: 2230/Exterminator; CFE 223; 748; BLc2; Tac. These all work pretty well with 50 gr Vmax or similar. You will have a bit better longer range consistent hits with 50's over 40 gr Vmax. The 40's are hoot if explosive action is what you seek. I have used many pounds of H335, but have been using considerable amounts of CFE to help abate copper fouling. CFE would be my choice for speed/accuracy/copper fouling.
Maybe I'm too picky, but I'd really like to eek out a bit just a bit more velocity out of the 50gr, or a bit more accuracy out of the 40s. Or both :mrgreen:
Nothing like watching a rat implode!

I've been getting a lot of suggestions for the CFE 223, thinking I'll have to give it a try.
anotherkelley wrote:For Accuracty & Velocity - Compressed loads of Varget with any of Hornady & Nosler's tipped 50-60gr bullets has been hard for me to beat in my ARs.
Any idea what kind of velocity you are seeing?
rebel wrote:Benchmark, 4108, 8208 xbr, and BLC 2 all give good velocities. 3400 may be asking for a lot out of 20" barrel. I load for a 6x45 ( 6mm/223) and my bolt with it's 24" barrel and with 87 grain bullets I am just right at 2850 fps for good accuracy. Out of the 20" AR that same load is just under 2700. I'd stick with the 40 grainers and try the powders mentioned and see what you get.
Thanks for the input rebel.
I really just tossed out that number of 3400, without really knowing if it was obtainable or not. In reality, fast as possible.
I have confidence in the 40's, I think with a little more tweaking they could be great!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

That should have been 4198 NOT 4098. I fat fingered the keyboard :oops:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Max713
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Max713 »

rebel wrote:That should have been 4198 NOT 4098. I fat fingered the keyboard :oops:
Fat fingered again, you originally typed 4108 :lol:

But thank you. Also, I'm assuming you're talking about the Hodgdon 4198?