Final trimming

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

jrf

Final trimming

Post by jrf »

I searched as best I could and found info on different trimmers but would like to know what the total options are out there for FINAL trimming of brass cut down from 5.56.

I of course see all the mini saw jigs to get rough cut down.

Then the brass needs sized and then final trimmed. From what I can tell I have a few options.

1. Hand crank trimmer - cheapeast and slowest. I see there are some options to upgrade these to attach to a drill. I think total investment at that point is close to $100

2. Frankford Platinum case series. Automated machine that will final trim and chamfur/debur primer pocket...etc. About $165 plus possibly new cutter dies as the reviews tend to say the cutters are junk which puts the final price about $200. You get extra features like primer pocket reamer and chamfer debur

3. Worlds Finest Trimmer. Drill mounted $70

4. Dillon's RT1500 $544 after I get all the parts I would need. Also seems to eliminate the need of the original rough cut.

5. Lee power quick trim $38 for die and power quick trim,

Other than #2, #4 and #5 I'd have to still chamfer/ream with another tool of which there are lots of options.

Am I missing any? I'm looking to do about 3-4k cases(right now). Any options that cost more than $200 just don't seem to make sense versus just buying the brass pre cut/sized. I have all the proper dies and sizing die.

What are you guys using and what are your thoughts?
Last edited by jrf on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Re: Final trimming

Post by Boolit_Head »

I use a forester case trimmer because I've had one since the 80's. Process a few hundred at a time and eventually you will get through them. I have more than one caliber to trim so purchasing dedicated systems dosent make sense when I already have a trimmer. Is it fun, no. Does it get the job done eventually, yes.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Boolit_Head wrote:I use a forester case trimmer because I've had one since the 80's. Process a few hundred at a time and eventually you will get through them. I have more than one caliber to trim so purchasing dedicated systems dosent make sense when I already have a trimmer. Is it fun, no. Does it get the job done eventually, yes.
Just about the same here. Thirty+ year old RCBS trimmer. I removed the crank and chuck the shaft in my cordless drill. I can trim 100 cases in about six minutes.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

For that many cases maybe check with one of the several board members that sell processed brass and see if you can work out a trade or reduced price deal. The time you will save is huge and then you will not have a bunch of tools laying around.
jrf

Post by jrf »

bangbangping wrote:
Boolit_Head wrote:I use a forester case trimmer because I've had one since the 80's. Process a few hundred at a time and eventually you will get through them. I have more than one caliber to trim so purchasing dedicated systems dosent make sense when I already have a trimmer. Is it fun, no. Does it get the job done eventually, yes.
Just about the same here. Thirty+ year old RCBS trimmer. I removed the crank and chuck the shaft in my cordless drill. I can trim 100 cases in about six minutes.
So option 1 basically. 100 cases in six minutes is fast as far as I'm concerned. That would definitely be a viable option.

I do want an option so I'm going to end up with something. Just making sure I've found all the viable options out there.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

jrf wrote:100 cases in six minutes is fast as far as I'm concerned.
Just to be clear, that does not equate to 1000 in an hour. Fatigue/boredom sets in pretty quickly.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

jrf wrote:
5. Lee power quick trim $38 for die and power quick trim,

Other than #2/4 I'd have to still chamfer/ream with another tool of which there are lots of options.

the lee power quick trim deburrs and chamfers for you the same time its trimming length.

for a budget option its probably the nicest i've tried for a power trimming tool.

fair warning - keep the RPM relatively low. much above 1300 rpm and the die adjustment ring will move on you. a high speed tool (like a bosch ps-41 impactor that runs ~ 2600 rpm) will give you fits readjusting your die all the time. found that out the hard way.

i trim about 8-9 cases a minute using this method - i find about a 4-5 second per in the press with the tool spinning usually get the job done on resized (already fired) cases, more for thicker necked brass or that needing a lot more trim. this will give you about 500 cases an hour in an ideal situation. 400 is probably more realistic. still a lot more efficient than hand trimming and a LOT easier on the hands since the press is doing all the holding for you.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
jrf

Post by jrf »

bangbangping wrote:Just to be clear, that does not equate to 1000 in an hour. Fatigue/boredom sets in pretty quickly.
Oh I should mention...this is a task that will be done by the "whole family" aka my boys will be doing the trimming. 8) Plus I have two of them so they can take turns....and maybe I can take a turn or two.
jrf

Post by jrf »

plant.one wrote: the lee power quick trim deburrs and chamfers for you the same time its trimming length.
for a budget option its probably the nicest i've tried for a power trimming tool.
forgot to add that, I'll modify the first post.

What do you use for power? Do you leave it on constantly or do you have to pull a trigger every time?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i'm using a bosch ps31 12v handheld currently.

i do a trigger pull for each piece.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.