Subsonic bullet recommendation

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

wscrst

Subsonic bullet recommendation

Post by wscrst »

Greetings. In my first post, I was trying to figure out why my 300 blackout was only shooting intermittently subsonic. Bad ammo is the answer. I got great info from some great folks and the thread ended with me realizing that I am going to have to handload if I want this suppressed endeavor to work well.

I am very new to 300 blackout and I assumed that I had to have 220grain bullets to go subsonic. Scattered reading suggests that this may not be the case and that I may have some choices. I would like to ask for a recommendation of a bullet that that can get me started with handloading. My goals are subsonic and target shooting and less cash if possible. I have a REV ARMS AR with a 16 inch barrel. I realize that experimentation will be very needed for excellent results. However, can someone recommend a reasonable bullet as a starting point. Thanks. I am listening and learning with each post.
Recoil737
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Subsonic bullet recommendation

Post by Recoil737 »

wscrst wrote:Greetings. In my first post, I was trying to figure out why my 300 blackout was only shooting intermittently subsonic. Bad ammo is the answer. I got great info from some great folks and the thread ended with me realizing that I am going to have to handload if I want this suppressed endeavor to work well.

I am very new to 300 blackout and I assumed that I had to have 220grain bullets to go subsonic. Scattered reading suggests that this may not be the case and that I may have some choices. I would like to ask for a recommendation of a bullet that that can get me started with handloading. My goals are subsonic and target shooting and less cash if possible. I have a REV ARMS AR with a 16 inch barrel. I realize that experimentation will be very needed for excellent results. However, can someone recommend a reasonable bullet as a starting point. Thanks. I am listening and learning with each post.

The heavier the better when it comes to subsonic as it gives a stronger cycle and puts more energy down range. 220gr work great but there are lighter ones out there that people have gotten to cycle. I would try and stay above 190gr as anything much below that will be hit or miss in getting your gun to cycle properly. Otherwise you can choose whatever round you can get as long as it will feed and fit in your mag.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Is it pistol length gas system?
Do you shoot at a range?
What state are you in?
These may sound like crazy questions for the information you're seeking but they're not.
Naporter
Silent Operator

Post by Naporter »

Heavier the better. Hornady's 208 ELD has worked well for me, and if you want good terminal performance you should check out MAKER Bullets' 200grn expanding subsonic. As far as cheap goes, you can also look at casting them then powder coating (or using HiTek, which I prefer).

With a 16" barrel you'll have a wider range of powders that'll yield quiet subs, but don't forget to verify your rifles twist rate can stabilize your chosen bullet at subsonic velocity. Otherwise you'd risk a baffle strike.
wscrst

Post by wscrst »

Guest762 wrote:Is it pistol length gas system?
Do you shoot at a range?
What state are you in?
These may sound like crazy questions for the information you're seeking but they're not.
I have a carbine length gas system, and I shoot in my backyard in Virginia. Thanks for any possible help.
wscrst

Post by wscrst »

Naporter wrote:Heavier the better. Hornady's 208 ELD has worked well for me, and if you want good terminal performance you should check out MAKER Bullets' 200grn expanding subsonic. As far as cheap goes, you can also look at casting them then powder coating (or using HiTek, which I prefer).

With a 16" barrel you'll have a wider range of powders that'll yield quiet subs, but don't forget to verify your rifles twist rate can stabilize your chosen bullet at subsonic velocity. Otherwise you'd risk a baffle strike.
My twist rate is 1/8. I was reading some posts about folks calculating whether or not the bullet will stabilize. Do you mind reviewing how to do this for me.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

wscrst wrote:
Guest762 wrote:Is it pistol length gas system?
Do you shoot at a range?
What state are you in?
I have a carbine length gas system, and I shoot in my backyard in Virginia. Thanks for any possible help.
Sell the gun and buy a pistol. A lot less headache and more options when it comes to bullets and powder. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear but that's my .02.
Or keep that one for a dedicated super sonic gun.
Naporter
Silent Operator

Post by Naporter »

wscrst wrote:
My twist rate is 1/8. I was reading some posts about folks calculating whether or not the bullet will stabilize. Do you mind reviewing how to do this for me.
1:8 should be more than sufficient. I'm running the same on mine and don't have any issues. Berger has a handy tool online for calculating bullet stability, and many others do too. Just be aware that all the data it asks for is essential to a correct calculation.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

wscrst wrote: My twist rate is 1/8. I was reading some posts about folks calculating whether or not the bullet will stabilize. Do you mind reviewing how to do this for me.
For stability just plug in your numbers
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

I shoot 208 Amax and 220 Sierra's with no problem in a 1/10, with a 1/8 you will be fine.

Here's a good deal on bullets that would be a good start.

https://www.americanreloading.com/en/30 ... count.html

For powder I would go with Vihtavouri N120, works very well in a carbine system. Clean, quiet consistent. 1680 or Shooters World are cheaper, but I won't use either for subs too dirty. There are others that work well in a carbine gas system.

No reason to not use a carbine length system.

They run cleaner, shoot quieter with subs and shoot softer with supers. You will be limited to 5-6 powders for subs and bullets 175 grains and up without having to get crazy.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

My Oly carbine was my first Blackout, the cartridge wasn't even that well known when I got it. No one was saying pistol gas only, we were all just figuring out what the hell we had got ourselves into. I loaded subs to cycle in it with several powders before owning a pistol gassed SBR. dellets powder choice is spot on.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.