Ws2 bullet coating question.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Nickntexas

Ws2 bullet coating question.

Post by Nickntexas »

I've been coating bullets/rounds with Ws2 for awhile now but just started hand loading. I do not own a chrony yet so I'm not sure of my velocities. Has anyone chronied their 300BO rounds before and after a good barrel coating with Ws2 coated loads? I've shot mostly 110gr Barnes which I love but decided to handload 110gr v-max because Barnes are too high dollar for me to practice with. I worked up from 18.8gr to 19.4 and show no signs of over pressure. Primers are a little flat but no more than at 18.8. Hoping someone has experience bringing the pressure back up and how high they went above recommended max. Ofcourse I plan to work to that max from 1 to .5 grain increments when I start but would like to know others experience in this. My current setup is...

110gr V-max
Barnes 300BO Brass once fired
H110 at req max of 19.4gr
CCI 400 primers (no sign of slame fire yet)
Apprx 1.363 case trim. (Finding it hard to get an exact cut)
Apprx 2.05 OAL

Not sure if it matters but using Lee hand press, lee 3 die set, and lee hand trimmer when necessary.

Appreciate any feedback.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud
Nickntexas

Re: Ws2 bullet coating question.

Post by Nickntexas »

Anybody? I decided to load up some 19.6gr which I'll be testing tomorrow. I assume if I divide the fps into velocity it's not going to accurately tell me my fps gain per added grain. I also assume +.2 grain will adequately get me back to the 19.4 grain velocities. I wasn't as careful with my 19.4's but trickled to my 19.6's. Using ws2 you loose 20-80 fps. With my normal 110gr Barnes according to their load data I'm shooting 2415fps with 18.2gr .They do not list pressure. The v-max at max load of 19.4gr load data on Hodges site shows 2286fps. The only thing I can see majorly diffrent is the C.O.A.L with the v-max being a shorter load. Not sure how the 2 loads vary that much in fps with the same powder and bullet weight. I assume its bullet shape and possible crimp. I assume (once again) primers have some effect as well. The Barnes data calls for Fed 205 and I'm using CCI 400's. I wouldn't have thunk these two loads would be that much different using H110. I would love to hit the 2415fps Barnes numbers but the powder difference between the two loads is -1.2gr with Barnes at their max with Barnes being 129fps faster. Calculating 1 grn at v-max max of 19.4gr would be 11.784fps per .1gr going from 19.4 to 19.6 would bring me up 23.57fps. "Assuming". Thats a chit ton of assumes lol. I've read here where folks are loading 20+ grains with the v-max but haven't seen any data on Ws2 coated bullets. Should I bring my grain down to 19.5 and work up from there or is jumping to 19.6 from 19.4 safe. I mentioned in the first post I had a bit of primer flattening. I believe thats mainly due to me reeming the pockets. Yes, I know, it was not necessary. I read Barnes crimps their primers but that was 5.56 not 300BO. Lesson learned. Excuse my spelling if I have any. Dyslexic.
- Sigmund Freud
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

First, welcome. You may not have any answers because as far as I'm aware nobody here uses WS2. I can't specifically answer it, either. Can I ask what benefits you gain from WS2?
Nickntexas wrote:With my normal 110gr Barnes according to their load data I'm shooting 2415fps with 18.2gr
You are not, for two reasons. First, your velocity will almost never be the same as in published data. You're using a different barrel, different lot of powder, different primers, etc. The velocity can vary considerably.

More importantly, you're loading the minimum load but reading the velocity for the max load. For H110, Barnes lists 20.2 grains max.

If you're going to chase velocity, I suggest you invest in a chrono. Otherwise, you're working based on assumptions, and you will assume incorrectly a lot of the time. BTDT. When I first got one years ago I found out that I'd been deer hunting with a load 400 fps slower than the manual said! Luckily I hadn't tried to take a long shot with it.

As to going over max published loads, many of us do it. But I don't think anyone on the internet can tell you that it's safe to do so in your rifle.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Outside of a few pistol calibers I have never had published load data come close to actual velocities.

Also, I have loaded a lot of rounds at or beyond max and they are never the most accurate. I always start out in the middle by averaging the minimum and maximum loads. And generally before I get to the max I find an accurate load.

I know people who start out with the max load and work down. That is a recipe for disaster because, as Rebel said, no two loads are the same. No two guns are identical either, chamber and bores can be a little tighter increasing pressures to dangerous levels when stating out at max.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

[quote="bangbangping"]First, welcome. You may not have any answers because as far as I'm aware nobody here uses WS2. I can't specifically answer it, either. Can I ask what benefits you gain from Ws2?

Ws2 keeps your barrel clean and prevents wear. I also use it for lube. I run my 300BO with only Ws2. No wet lube at all. My Sigs also love it. Slicker than butter. Takes creep and noise out of triggers and anything else were medal touchs medal. I even put it in my engines after initial wear and oil change except wet clutch applications. Basically any friction application. It's a pain to treat a barrel so coating the bullets is an easier option. I'm getting great results at 19.4 @100 yrds with a 3x magnifier behind an aimpoint. If my groups spread while bringing the load up I'll bring it back down. I don't plan on hunting deer with these loads so getting the max velocity is not really necessary if accuracy suffers. I'll stick with Barnes for deer. I know they work. Drop 4 deer DRT with 110gr Barnes averaging 150yrds but one which was about 25 feet away. I only have about 5-6 boxes left of the Barnes and decided to load something cheaper. Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm on my own experimenting with the Ws2. Yep, I definitely need a chrony. Maybe for my bday.
- Sigmund Freud
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Drop 4 deer DRT with 110gr Barnes averaging 150yrds but one which was about 25 feet away.
I just want to make sure my use of the word average is the same as yours. When you say 4 averaging 150 yards with one at 25', does that mean 3 were at 200yds? Or that the three averaged 150yds?

Just want clarify, no jest meant.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

SwampDog_13 wrote:
Drop 4 deer DRT with 110gr Barnes averaging 150yrds but one which was about 25 feet away.
I just want to make sure my use of the word average is the same as yours. When you say 4 averaging 150 yards with one at 25', does that mean 3 were at 200yds? Or that the three averaged 150yds?

Just want clarify, no jest meant.
25,27,32, and 516
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

3 in the same place approx 150 yards. The other which is on my wall was in the exact same place but I was walking to my stand while using a buck grunt and it stepped right out in front of me at 25' feet away. Would post a pic if I knew how.
- Sigmund Freud
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

Bumped it up to 19.6gr. Yesterday. Shot a 1.57" group. Zeiss is in the mail. Should be here Wed. I assume I can dial it in to the right load once I get better optics to work with. Still no signs of over pressure. My gun seems to like the hotter loads so far. With the Ws2 I'm probably shooting more in the 19gr range though.
- Sigmund Freud
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

You’re probably about a grain away from getting a “hot” load, right now you’re barely warm at 19.6. Of course this is always chamber dependent.

The problem with the powder bullet combination you have is shooting it in an AR, the magazine will determine your max velocity. Basically once you hit 100% load density, there is no room to move the bullet out and game the system.

Using tungsten with the 300 Blackout is a bit counter productive. You lose much needed velocity for supers, and backpressure for cycling subs. Then there is the trade off of being easier to clean, but needing to do it more often.

Because of the drop in friction, powder tends to not burn as well, again this is more an issue with subs than supers, but because of the sulfur left behind from the WS2 you also need to be aware of it. There is less fouling, but a greater chance for corrosion.

My interest in trying it was for a gain in accuracy and tighter ES spreads. The gain was not worth the extra work for me, but that was a personal choice. I know a couple of others who swear by it for other applications.

It will be interesting to see what advantages you can document in using it. Might be worth revisiting in a bolt action.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.