Hornady 190 sub shooting super

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Hornady 190 sub shooting super

Post by bearcatrp »

Been awhile since I've been on the forum. This was asked awhile back but believe it wasn't answered. Has anyone loaded the 190 sub for regular shooting? Wasn't sure if the bullet would come apart going that fast. Anyone try it?
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 190 sub shooting super

Post by TRshootem »

No, but if ya send me some I'll do a complete, multi-platform test with confidence. :P
Pathfinder2005

Post by Pathfinder2005 »

When Hornady first released the Sub-X bullets they discouraged running them supersonic.
Makes sense when you consider the jacketing design required to reliably expand at around 900 fps. It's fragile compared to conventional designs.
I don't know if they've changed their tune, but it would be worth reaching out to them before pushing them too fast.

When I first worked up a load for these, my initial recipes were running just supersonic at 1300 - 1200 fps.
It was clear the bullet liked the speed as the groups were fantastic.
As I worked the velocity down I was never able to reproduce the same groups, but at around 1050 fps the groups were still darn good.
They seemed to like CFE BLK.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I learned about all I needed here
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=107908
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

I picked up a pound of CFE BLK not to long ago along with 2 boxes of 190 sub bullets to try loading sub sonic for the 1st time. Haven’t been on the reloading bench in over a year. Time to blow the dust off the press.