Hornady 125gr FMJ, will they work for Plinking

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

REL1203

Hornady 125gr FMJ, will they work for Plinking

Post by REL1203 »

I just got my new 300Blackout Upper, and a friend gave me 500 of these Hornady 125gj FMJ's that he said he couldn't use. I see everyone talk about the 125gr SSTs, but never the FMJ. The FMJs have a Cannelure, but I assume they probably wont be in the right post for 300Blackout. Should the FMJs work ok for an 8.5" Pistol going Supersonic?

Advice on powders to start with (I have 2lbs of Lil'gun, 1lb CFEBlk, and 1lb 296). I got all these powders to make Subsonics once my 2 suppressors are out of NFA Jail (I have 220SMKs and 220 Berrys waiting to be loaded for them). If I can use teh 125gr FMJ's just for cheap plinking, yet still acceptably accurate, rounds till my quiet time is up, great. Any advice would be great since I cant seem to find any for the FMJ.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 125gr FMJ, will they work for Plinking

Post by plant.one »

no. send them to me for proper ballistic disposal. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and yea.. they'll be fine for punching holes in paper. load and go. lil gun or 296 for the win.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

I shoot lots of pulled 123-124gr 7.62x39 fmj bullets for plinking with fine plinking results. They are around 3-4" at 100yd. I see no reason you won't have fine plinking results with your bullets. I use H110 (but then I've been using H110 from the git go in the Blackout). Start low and work up until you get the accuracy that you want. Have fun!
scogdog3

Post by scogdog3 »

The Hornady 125 fmj is my go to bullet, loaded to the cannelure and using H110. Good plinking and anything else round.