Ultimate 300BLK bug out ammo

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Chicahominy

Ultimate 300BLK bug out ammo

Post by Chicahominy »

I'm always trying to decide what the ultimate all round grain weight for 300 BLK would be in a bug out situation. This would not be anywhere near as hard to answer if we were talking 30-30Win, or .308 each with much larger powder capacity. Even the 30-30 can get close to 2400FPS from 150 grain. To get anywhere near that velocity in 300blk we're talking about 100-110 grain. So do you go light like 100 and 110 and fast or do you go heavy 150 and slower? Or do I split the difference and go with a 125 grainer? I guess the question would depend on what you're shooting at, and how far. The answer is not too far and anything I'd encounter in an east coast BO situation up to Black Bear.

I guess I'll start by asking if you were going up against say a Black Bear (not by choice) would you go 110 and hope to hit him fast or would you go 150 and hit him heavy?
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ultimate 300BLK bug out ammo

Post by tfbit »

I think I'd be putting 110 gr TAC-TX into it till it stopped moving.
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
Alphawolf082
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alphawolf082 »

tfbit wrote:I think I'd be putting 110 gr TAC-TX into it till it stopped moving.
ditto

loading for the 300 blk is fun and all. But when shit gets real, I have tactx stocked up. For such situations you only need a few hundred rounds. Everyone thinks they're gonna be able to get off thousands of rounds in some sort of calamity, but the truth is, if you're fighting that much your ass is grass. So a few hundred rds of the black tip and you should be set.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Add another vote for the blacktip, either loaded by Barnes or any other good quality company..
Chicahominy

Post by Chicahominy »

Alphawolf082 wrote: For such situations you only need a few hundred rounds. Everyone thinks they're gonna be able to get off thousands of rounds in some sort of calamity, but the truth is, if you're fighting that much your ass is grass. So a few hundred rds of the black tip and you should be set.
I agree. In any situation like that I would want to steer clear of any confrontation. BO weapon is for when I can't. How would Hornaday's Full Boar 110 grain GMX lead free compare ?
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Chicahominy wrote:I'm always trying to decide what the ultimate all round grain weight for 300 BLK would be in a bug out situation. This would not be anywhere near as hard to answer if we were talking 30-30Win, or .308 each with much larger powder capacity. Even the 30-30 can get close to 2400FPS from 150 grain. To get anywhere near that velocity in 300blk we're talking about 100-110 grain. So do you go light like 100 and 110 and fast or do you go heavy 150 and slower? Or do I split the difference and go with a 125 grainer? I guess the question would depend on what you're shooting at, and how far. The answer is not too far and anything I'd encounter in an east coast BO situation up to Black Bear.

I guess I'll start by asking if you were going up against say a Black Bear (not by choice) would you go 110 and hope to hit him fast or would you go 150 and hit him heavy?

So, you would consider a 24" barrel 30-30 because it can get a 150 gr bullet to 2400 FPS?
That sounds absurd.

A Barnes Blacktip loaded to 55,000 GPS averages 2415 fps. Put that in a 24" barrel and figure on adding 200 fps in a bolt gun.

There is plenty of room to load it over pressure safely and get more fps but your advantage is more energy and a flatter shooting projectile.

I would love to see a flabby middle aged guy with a 24" rifle and a few hundred rounds of ammo and other survival provisions hump it 20+ miles without having a heart attack after the first 2 miles.

The ammo you want is what you shoot the fastest and most accurate out of the gun you can carry all day.

Read this article written by a friend of mine. Former special forces and army ranger, spent some time in counter intelligence, with a masters degree in Strategic Studies.
http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/n ... ev-cl.html

It just might change your thought processes
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
Larry B
Silent But Deadly

Post by Larry B »

A-Game wrote:
Chicahominy wrote:

I would love to see a flabby middle aged guy with a 24" rifle and a few hundred rounds of ammo and other survival provisions hump it 20+ miles without having a heart attack after the first 2 miles.
That would be me :roll:
USCS

Post by USCS »

Really guys? We're talking the apocalypse here! SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, wreck and ruin......
And no one has suggested that great green tipped zombie killer, the Hornady Z-Max? What's wrong with you people?
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Chicahominy wrote:
Alphawolf082 wrote: For such situations you only need a few hundred rounds. Everyone thinks they're gonna be able to get off thousands of rounds in some sort of calamity, but the truth is, if you're fighting that much your ass is grass. So a few hundred rds of the black tip and you should be set.
I agree. In any situation like that I would want to steer clear of any confrontation. BO weapon is for when I can't. How would Hornaday's Full Boar 110 grain GMX lead free compare ?
The gel tests I've seen with the Hornady GMX look good. I've been following the GMX introductions as Hornady comes out with them. Both the 223/5.56 and 300blk seem comparable to the Barnes offerings. I wouldn't feel unprepared with the GMX.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

USCS wrote:Really guys? We're talking the apocalypse here! SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, wreck and ruin......
And no one has suggested that great green tipped zombie killer, the Hornady Z-Max? What's wrong with you people?
This, well the V-Max version which is the same bullet, was my first choice for SHTF before I got hold of a bunch of the Barnes 110 TAC-TX pulls that were being sold lately. I've got a crapload loaded like so:

Hornady 110 gr V-Max Blem w/Cannelure (haven't seen these for sale lately)
19.8 gr H110
CCI 450
2.068" OAL
Crimped

They go about 2340 FPS out of my 16" barrel and should do this:

http://www.hornady.com/store/300-Whisper-110gr-vmax
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.