Winchester Deer Season XP

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bullhed78

Winchester Deer Season XP

Post by Bullhed78 »

Is anyone using this ammo? It seems like it is fairly new on the market and I'm not finding any real world info out there on the web. What I have consistently found is the local brick and mortar shops carry few choices for 300 BLK most of which seem to be plinking ammo. I finally found Winchester Deer Season XP at a shop so I bought 2 boxes. It functions well in the gun and is plenty accurate. Now I just need to know if it works well for its intended purpose, hunting white tails. Here is the info on the round from Winchester's website:

Product Symbol: X300BLKDS

Description:
Massive Knockdown Power
Precision Accuracy
Streamlined for High B.C.
Built Specifically for Deer Hunting
Suggested Use:
Big Game Thin Skin (Whitetail, Mule Deer, Antelope, Black Bear)

Features:
Large Diameter Polymer Tip - Accelerates bullet expansion for rapid trauma upon impact
Ballistic Profile - Streamlined profile and polymer tip combine for improved downrange performance
Contoured Jacket - Tapered profile for rapid expansion and terminal penetration on deer.
Alloyed Lead Core - Optimized for energy transfer and impact power
Deer Specific Performance - Terminally optimized for massive knockdown power on whitetail, mule and blacktail deer
Cartridge: 300 BlackoutBullet Weight: 150Muzzle Velocity: 1900Ballistic Co-efficient: 0.392
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Winchester Deer Season XP

Post by BlogSarge »

I hadn't heard of it either until I was in Motor City Gun Works picking up a suppressor a few weeks ago. One of their guys said he has had good luck with it on deer.

It does look intriguing, but I see they list 150 gr bullets for everything from 300blk to 300 win mag. If they are using the exact same bullet, I wonder if the 300blk load will expand reliably gfiven its lower velocity.

It has the benefit of being the same weight as much of the plinking loads so practice and hunting should have simiar POIs. Still, I like the 110 blacktips since I am a velocity fan and i'll take the extra
400fps they offer.
Bullhed78

Post by Bullhed78 »

I called Winchester and it is the same bullet they use for the 308 round which caused me concerns with expansion. I don't remember the exact FPS he gave me for the lower limit expansion rate but I remember figuring it would hit that number around 200 yards. If I am going to be hunting somewhere that will allow 200+ yard shots chances are I will have my .30-06 anyhow. Are you getting the Barnes blacktip rounds locally in MI?
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

I've found them at Cabela's in the past. I saw some at Jay's in Clare a month or so ago I believe. Ann Arbor Arms has a good stock.

If local shops are too $$ I can get them online. I'll pay a few $ more to support my local shops but if they are too out of line....
Bullhed78

Post by Bullhed78 »

Well, the Winchester ammo did the trick. I took a spike horn with it this morning. Whitetail was quartered slightly toward me. Entrance was right side just behind the front leg which was stretched forward to step. Exit was right at the diaphragm on the left side. No bullet recovered to examine. Deer ran about 125 yards with a light blood train. Double lung shot that clipped the liver also. When the heart was removed and rinsed well it showed signs of bruising. Not sure if that was blood starting to pool or if it was from the temporary wound channel.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Nice job, and congratulations.

I have a big doe hanging but, since I didn't head up north, I had to use my shotgun. Double lung shot with a 12ga AccuTip left a blood trail I could have followed half-blind. Not that tracking was needed for her 20 yard run!
detour

Post by detour »

My son shot a doe with the deer season xp yesterday. No blood. not a drop. Thought he may have missed. But went into the woods about 60 yards and found her. Deer was quartering toward us. Shot placement was great. No exit wound though which explains why there was no blood. Found the bullet. It did not expand. Disappointed with this round. I guess it does not have the speed to work properly.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

detour wrote:My son shot a doe with the deer season xp yesterday. No blood. not a drop. Thought he may have missed. But went into the woods about 60 yards and found her. Deer was quartering toward us. Shot placement was great. No exit wound though which explains why there was no blood. Found the bullet. It did not expand. Disappointed with this round. I guess it does not have the speed to work properly.
Can you post a pic of the bullet?

I shot a small doe with the Speer 150 GD this weekend.....was only 53 yards. Hit a little high crushed the spine and exited opposite out the ribs taking the lungs with it. No slug recovery, left a hole in the ribs about 1.5 inches. Handload, btw.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Bullhed78 wrote:Is anyone using this ammo? It seems like it is fairly new on the market and I'm not finding any real world info out there on the web. What I have consistently found is the local brick and mortar shops carry few choices for 300 BLK most of which seem to be plinking ammo. I finally found Winchester Deer Season XP at a shop so I bought 2 boxes. It functions well in the gun and is plenty accurate. Now I just need to know if it works well for its intended purpose, hunting white tails. Here is the info on the round from Winchester's website:

Product Symbol: X300BLKDS

Description:
Massive Knockdown Power
Precision Accuracy
Streamlined for High B.C.
Built Specifically for Deer Hunting
Suggested Use:
Big Game Thin Skin (Whitetail, Mule Deer, Antelope, Black Bear)

Features:
Large Diameter Polymer Tip - Accelerates bullet expansion for rapid trauma upon impact
Ballistic Profile - Streamlined profile and polymer tip combine for improved downrange performance
Contoured Jacket - Tapered profile for rapid expansion and terminal penetration on deer.
Alloyed Lead Core - Optimized for energy transfer and impact power
Deer Specific Performance - Terminally optimized for massive knockdown power on whitetail, mule and blacktail deer
Cartridge: 300 BlackoutBullet Weight: 150Muzzle Velocity: 1900Ballistic Co-efficient: 0.392
Just remember that the velocities described are just under that of a .30-30, so any claims of "massive knock down power" are booshwa. It will do the job with correct bullet placement, IF the bullet expands at the impact velocity, which is dependent upon the original design of the bullet; e.g. designed for the .30-06/.308 or for the .30-30, .30 Remington, or other low velocity .308 caliber bullets.