SIG SAUER - 300 Blackout Elite Performance Ammunition

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

RDA
Silent But Deadly

SIG SAUER - 300 Blackout Elite Performance Ammunition

Post by RDA »

I thought this was a good a place as any to note an issue I recently experienced with Sig's new 300 Blackout subsonic ammo.

On Friday, I had a squib from the Sig Sauer 220g subsonic 300 Blackout ammo. I had a magazine of 30 rounds, fired one round without issue and the second round was a squib (and the following two rounds would not chamber). It just so happened that the owner of the gun shop that the rounds had been purchased from was shooting beside me and when he noticed the third and fourth rounds wouldn't chamber, he thought there may have been a squib. We quickly saw that the bullet was lodged in the lands. I speculated that the squib was a primer only round (no powder) as the bullet was just stuck at the beginning of the rifling, the boat tail portion of the bullet was covered with "soot" and there was no unburnt powder present.

I took the remaining 56 rounds in my possession and checked all of them with my 300BLK Sheridan completed round gauge, all of them were within SAAMI specifications. I then weighed all of them and 53 of rounds were within 317-319 grains which is reasonable. The other three rounds were approximately 10 grains lower. I pulled the bullets on two of these rounds, they had no powder at all, virgin clean brass (I left the remaining one without pulling the bullet but it was clear it had no powder).

FYI - This particular AR15 had a new Ballistic Advantage 10.3" barrel (I had 100 rounds through it) with a brand new Wilson Combat Bolt Carrier Group. I had cleaned the gun thoroughly prior to Friday (as I was installing a new bolt carrier group). I found no evidence of unburnt powder. A sample of the remaining Sig Sauer rounds chambered fine as did a few other factory rounds and my own loads and the gun passed my GO headspace gauge.

So, 4 of 60 Sig subsonic rounds with no powder...I guess this ammo is neither "match grade" or "elite".
svh
Silent But Deadly

Re: SIG SAUER - 300 Blackout Elite Performance Ammunition

Post by svh »

Thanks for the info. I have a box that was slated for a sub fest next week. I'll be extra careful.
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...How do you like your BA barrel so far? ...out of curiosity, which model is it, the standard, Performance or SS model?
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

r.tenorio671 wrote:...How do you like your BA barrel so far? ...out of curiosity, which model is it, the standard, Performance or SS model?
I haven't had too many rounds through it so I'll reserve comment until I do. I have a 10.3" 300 Blackout BA Hanson Pistol Length Barrel Performance Series and I just recently bought a 16" barrel from them as well but won't build that one for a little while.
agent clark

Post by agent clark »

That's a bummer, cause the first read or two I had on that ammo was that it was pretty accurate, and priced pretty nice where I've seen it. I almost picked some up, but held off just cause I still have ammo around.
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Thanks so much for posting this info. Posting about bad ammo is very important! Can you give us the lot number on the ammo?? Also make sure to let sig know! Oh and tell us what they say!
I WAS going to buy some of this stuff to try out. A chronograph, new 300blk brass and a supply of 208a-max is going to be a lot cheaper than a blown up AR or suppressor though. Factory ammo just seems to be very poor quality scene the 2012 gun/ammo shortages.

R
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

Well, I shot the box I had, and was very happy with the performance. I had one 10 shot group at 1 3/8", and one 10 shot group at just over 1 1/2" at 70ish yards.

AV. 1039
ES. 20
SD. 6
High 1051
Low 1031

I'd buy them again.
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
lupy123
Silent But Deadly

Post by lupy123 »

Hey, contact Ben @ [email protected] or http://www.blacksmitharmory.net/ or on FB & he will help you out. His dad worked with Sig on that ammo...if I recall.
RDA wrote:I thought this was a good a place as any to note an issue I recently experienced with Sig's new 300 Blackout subsonic ammo.

On Friday, I had a squib from the Sig Sauer 220g subsonic 300 Blackout ammo. I had a magazine of 30 rounds, fired one round without issue and the second round was a squib (and the following two rounds would not chamber). It just so happened that the owner of the gun shop that the rounds had been purchased from was shooting beside me and when he noticed the third and fourth rounds wouldn't chamber, he thought there may have been a squib. We quickly saw that the bullet was lodged in the lands. I speculated that the squib was a primer only round (no powder) as the bullet was just stuck at the beginning of the rifling, the boat tail portion of the bullet was covered with "soot" and there was no unburnt powder present.

I took the remaining 56 rounds in my possession and checked all of them with my 300BLK Sheridan completed round gauge, all of them were within SAAMI specifications. I then weighed all of them and 53 of rounds were within 317-319 grains which is reasonable. The other three rounds were approximately 10 grains lower. I pulled the bullets on two of these rounds, they had no powder at all, virgin clean brass (I left the remaining one without pulling the bullet but it was clear it had no powder).

FYI - This particular AR15 had a new Ballistic Advantage 10.3" barrel (I had 100 rounds through it) with a brand new Wilson Combat Bolt Carrier Group. I had cleaned the gun thoroughly prior to Friday (as I was installing a new bolt carrier group). I found no evidence of unburnt powder. A sample of the remaining Sig Sauer rounds chambered fine as did a few other factory rounds and my own loads and the gun passed my GO headspace gauge.

So, 4 of 60 Sig subsonic rounds with no powder...I guess this ammo is neither "match grade" or "elite".
RDA
Silent But Deadly

Post by RDA »

My dealer that provided the ammo sent it all back to SIG and they replaced it. I'd like to know if he has information about how wide spread the problem was.
lupy123 wrote:Hey, contact Ben @ [email protected] or http://www.blacksmitharmory.net/ or on FB & he will help you out. His dad worked with Sig on that ammo...if I recall.
RDA wrote:I thought this was a good a place as any to note an issue I recently experienced with Sig's new 300 Blackout subsonic ammo.