Is a Type06 FFL needed..

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bwsnyder2005

Is a Type06 FFL needed..

Post by bwsnyder2005 »

Hello everyone
I am new and trying to gather some info about a certain topic. Do I need a Type 06 FFL just to convert .223/5.56 brass to 300BLK if I wanna sell it in certain quantities without being primed? I am asking because someone has told me I need that just to do brass, and I saw various answers in other forums. Thanks for your help.
Photoguy67

Re: Is a Type06 FFL needed..

Post by Photoguy67 »

I am not positive, but I think that an 06 ffl is only needed to sell complete ammo, not componets.
bwsnyder2005

Post by bwsnyder2005 »

Thanks. That's what I have read but just wanna make sure because I have access to a trimmer and mass amounts of brass to trim.
takiniteasy88
Silent But Deadly

Post by takiniteasy88 »

You will never hear the one that gets you!
bwsnyder2005

Post by bwsnyder2005 »

Does that mean I need a Type 06 for that brass cutting??
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

From the ATF site:

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

bwsnyder2005

Post by bwsnyder2005 »

I know I need it for making and selling reloads, but what about just the brass..
Table Rock Arms
Silent Operator

Post by Table Rock Arms »

Photoguy67 wrote:I am not positive, but I think that an 06 ffl is only needed to sell complete ammo, not componets.
FFL 06 is for Ammunition and components as well. You would need one to manufacture for sale, bullets, brass, or primers. I think the question is weather you are manufacturing the brass as you are simply trimming and sizing it. I believe I heard somewhere that there has been some discussion about this at ATF more than likely because of the 300 blackout cartridge specifically as simply processing brass would not be an issue but it could be considered manufacturing since you do not start with a piece of 300 blk brass but you do end up with one. There might be people out there who can tell you for sure but I would not accept anything less than having it in writing from ATF.
Table Rock Arms
07 FFL 02 SOT
541-604-8655
BubbaJon
Silent But Deadly

Post by BubbaJon »

Table Rock Arms wrote:
Photoguy67 wrote:I am not positive, but I think that an 06 ffl is only needed to sell complete ammo, not componets.
FFL 06 is for Ammunition and components as well. You would need one to manufacture for sale, bullets, brass, or primers. I think the question is weather you are manufacturing the brass as you are simply trimming and sizing it. I believe I heard somewhere that there has been some discussion about this at ATF more than likely because of the 300 blackout cartridge specifically as simply processing brass would not be an issue but it could be considered manufacturing since you do not start with a piece of 300 blk brass but you do end up with one. There might be people out there who can tell you for sure but I would not accept anything less than having it in writing from ATF.
I dunno about the brass either but the general consensus is that even casting bullets and selling just the bullets requires FFL 06. My personal opinion is that's just dumb as hell - but I'm not putting my rights on the block to test it.
monzahunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by monzahunter »

Take this for what its worth, Starline brass carries an 06, Lapua carries an 06, They manufacture. If you are taking one case(223) and making it into another case(300blk) for profit, some might call that Manufacturing. It seems like for now the ATF does not care. but they change their position on things all the time. Before i get hate mail, yes i am an 06 and no i dont care either way.
a skateboard, piece of toast, and two minutes of angle
www.jbsfirearms.com