Barnes 110 gr factory ammo poor accuracy

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

mdmorrow

Barnes 110 gr factory ammo poor accuracy

Post by mdmorrow »

So I just finished up my SBR build and went out this weekend to shoot for the first time.

The specs on my build are:

Daniel Defense factory lower with factory parts and an MOE stock
DD upper
DD Lite rail II 7"
Noveske 8.2" lo pro barrel
Silencerco Saker 7.62 Trifecta flash hider
WMD full auto nib-x bcg
BCM Mod 4 charging handle
Aimpoint H-1 4 moa in Larue tall mount

I was using this particular ammo:

Barnes Ammo

I intend to handload but just to get started I had bought a couple boxes of this stuff. I initially got on paper at 25 and then moved to 50 yards. There was just no consistency to it. Some groups were fair but most were poor and all over the paper. Now granted, I'm not shooting a precision optic and the DD trigger isn't the best but I would have expected better accuracy from the Noveske barrel than what I saw. I mean we're talking a 3-4 inch group at 50
yards.

Has anyone else experienced poor performance from this ammo? Before I start messing with the barrel nut torque (which is the only thing I can think of to adjust) I will try some handloads. Thanks in advance!!!
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Barnes 110 gr factory ammo poor accuracy

Post by 300Blk »

That is 6-8 MOA.

No, that has not been mentioned before.

You have to see if the rifle can shoot any ammo well. Check the scope mount also to see if it is moving.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

I wasn't happy with the factory load accuracy either. I was getting about 2 moa groups with them. I pulled two boxes and hand loaded them. I got the group size down to 1.5 moa average. Some groups were close to 1 moa. Some were a little bit above 1.5 moa. i didn't get anything near as bad as what you are getting. I might check the scope mounts and screws and such. Are you running a supressor ?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

To test for accuracy the first thing I would do is remove the H1 sight. 4 moa dot is covering 2" at 50 yards. Most bullseye's are 1 inch or less. You are moving the sight dot around to try and center the dot on a hidden target. Maybe try a target that has heavy vertical and horizontal center lines and use those as a reference to help you center the Aimpoint dot.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

randyrucker wrote:I wasn't happy with the factory load accuracy either. I was getting about 2 moa groups with them.
Your 2 MOA and his 6-8 MOA are wildly different though.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Are you shooting offhand or off a bench with a bipod?
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
velo555
Silent But Deadly

Post by velo555 »

smustian wrote:To test for accuracy the first thing I would do is remove the H1 sight. 4 moa dot is covering 2" at 50 yards. Most bullseye's are 1 inch or less. You are moving the sight dot around to try and center the dot on a hidden target. Maybe try a target that has heavy vertical and horizontal center lines and use those as a reference to help you center the Aimpoint dot.
THIS
Victor Lopez
mdmorrow

Post by mdmorrow »

smustian wrote:To test for accuracy the first thing I would do is remove the H1 sight. 4 moa dot is covering 2" at 50 yards. Most bullseye's are 1 inch or less. You are moving the sight dot around to try and center the dot on a hidden target. Maybe try a target that has heavy vertical and horizontal center lines and use those as a reference to help you center the Aimpoint dot.
That's a great point. There's definitely obscuration of the target as all I had with me was some larue 1" targets. Next time I'm going to do a lined target to see what I can do. Next time will be with handloads anyway.

I was shooting off a bag off the ground. I didn't have my bipod with me when I went out. Next time out I plan to put my bipod (atlas) on plus a rear bag and shoot with better support.

I was shooting unsuppressed, my saker is still hanging out in NFA jail.

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate y'all taking the time to respond.
Rick Finsta
Silent Operator

Post by Rick Finsta »

I can't get better than 2MOA with the Barnes VOR-TX in my 8.2" Noveske, either, even with up to 7X magnification and a stable platform at 50 yards. Handloaded 125gr SSTs will group 1/2 MOA to at least 200 yards, but the Barnes are awful in my gun. I have yet to get around to working up a load with the 110gr TAC-TX bullet, even though I've got some waiting around for me to get time.

For the record, I can print <1" groups at 50 yards with a 4MOA T-1 and a 5MOA aiming black with that SST load. You don't necessarily need a different sight, you just need the right target. Superimposition of concentric circles is very easy for our eyes to accomplish, which is why circular diopter sights work so well for target shooting (with the added benefit that the center hold means lighting conditions don't fool our eyes and change POI like they do with a 6 O'clock or sub-6 hold). Also make sure you turn your dot down to where you can barely see it, as this eliminate the bloom and makes it easier to center.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I shot this at 100 yards with an AIMPOINT and did about the same with an EOTECH. No magnification. 9 inch barrel with can. Pink tip ammo though, which is like an SST.