Max Speed To Expand

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Newbie2This

Re: Max Speed To Expand

Post by Newbie2This »

Thank you Rebel... so originally I thought heavier would be better to not over penetrate.. if it could go slow and expand well and be heavy enough to spread and get caught for sure guaranteeing that it would not go through the other side is my ideal situation... basically a handgun load but with a bit more punch but not enough punch that I have to worry about shooting into other rooms... I would just use a shotgun but this actually for my spouse and she can’t use a handgun worth squat and a shotgun is out of the question.. an AR pistol where she can have both hands on it may be better for her... but again just going through the thought process and that brought me to think about expansion and high speeds and why I started seeking a heavier bullet etc... thank you much for the info all of you provide... :-)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Newbie2This wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:41 am Thank you Rebel... so originally I thought heavier would be better to not over penetrate.. if it could go slow and expand well and be heavy enough to spread and get caught for sure guaranteeing that it would not go through the other side is my ideal situation... basically a handgun load but with a bit more punch but not enough punch that I have to worry about shooting into other rooms... I would just use a shotgun but this actually for my spouse and she can’t use a handgun worth squat and a shotgun is out of the question.. an AR pistol where she can have both hands on it may be better for her... but again just going through the thought process and that brought me to think about expansion and high speeds and why I started seeking a heavier bullet etc... thank you much for the info all of you provide... :-)
Welcome
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
ironhead7544

Post by ironhead7544 »

I have seen a number of tests of different 30 cal bullets. The standard soft points meant for roughly 308 Winchester speeds and above, will expand from 1800 fps to 2000 fps. It does depend on the individual bullet. Some may not expand at 2000 fps. The Speer Gold Dot 150 gr bullet is designed for 300 Blackout supersonic speeds. Dont know if any factory loads are available.

It is my guess that the majority of factory 300 Blackout ammo will completely penetrate at home defense ranges. There may be some frangable loads that would work.

You might want to consider a 9mm carbine. Light recoil, less noise, easier to hit with. Frangable loads are available. JMHO.
Newbie2This

Post by Newbie2This »

Thank you ironhead7544 ,,,, I was thinking about the Lehigh bullets and have ordered a couple and I will also consider a 9mm conversion since we both have 9mm handguns I could reload for the AR as well.
:-)
Newbie2This