Suppressed 8 inch velocities

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Texbow

Suppressed 8 inch velocities

Post by Texbow »

I have an 8 inch barrel suppressed (Crux net 4 inches) giving me a total bbl length of 12 inches. I will zero at 50 yards with Hornady 190 Gr Sub X ammo. Ballistic data provided by Hornady indicates the round provides 1025 velocity out of a 16 inch bbl.

I've searched but not had any luck in finding a table giving adjustments in velocity based upon (Barrel + Suppressed) lengths. I'm no ballistics expert but just the opposite. I would assume that an 8 inch bbl plus 4 inch suppressor length is not the equivalent of an 12 inch bbl non suppressed. Therefore looking at bbl length only is not an accurate assessment of velocity variances when you have a suppressor hanging on the barrel.

Ideally I could just shoot the set up thru a chronograph and get an accurate reading but I do not have access to a chronograph. An accurate velocity given my set up will help me nail down overall ballistics and make for a more accurate data dump to design an additional Ballistic Turret for my SIG Tango6 scope.

Do any of you ballistic guru's have a calculation or a table or even real world test to help me determine the velocity out of my set up?

Thanks in advance.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressed 8 inch velocities

Post by bangbangping »

Texbow wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:04 pm Ideally I could just shoot the set up thru a chronograph and get an accurate reading
Not just ideally. It's the only way.

Even if you had a 16" barrel without a suppressor, you're using a different barrel, different brass, different lots of powder and primers. Possibly different crimp. Different... well, you get the idea. Your actual velocity can easily be off 100 fps or more from load data. Shorten the barrel and add a suppressor and you really have no idea.