Terrible Underwood 194gn Max Expansion

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

loveha

Terrible Underwood 194gn Max Expansion

Post by loveha »

I wish I saved all the targets from this ammo. It is highly inaccurate and unstable in my experience. I have tried it off an on again for several months burning five rounds short of two boxes.

Out of a custom built SBR with a 12.5" 1:8 Proof Research carbon barrel and a Dead Air Sandman Ti I was getting about 3 to 5 MOA.

With my 16" 1:8 Daniel Defense M4V11 and a Dead Air Sandman S or Ti, it is so bad, it doesn't even think about grouping. If I tried to measure it, it would probably be in the 8+ MOA range. Many bullets impacting unstable making me think at first I was getting an amazing group. I shoot two and adjust then shoot three to confirm. So when I first walked up to the target I only saw the one impact that was unstable making a slightly bigger hole. Then I adjusted to that one bullet and thought on my third shot I adjusted my scope wrong. No, no, not me, it was the bullet. I said fuck it and loaded 5 and shot those and watched in amazement at what one could confuse as a target shot with 00 Buck.

But I can then take Hornady Sub X and do sub MOA to 1.5 MOA five shot groups with either rifle.

Is it the bullet, Underwood, the 1:8 twist? It's obviously not me if I can do MOA with other ammo. Should I give a go with ordering direct from Lehigh or does Underwood load for them? Reloading is in my near future once I get done rebuilding another rifle and get that scoped. So maybe I will try hand loading it then.
I would like to use this bullet, but if not possible, oh well. The Sub X took down a big UP Michigan 8 point this year that went 40 yards.

Edit: I will say, I remember recoil being more noticeable from the Underwood. No idea if that has anything to do with anything. Should grab brass and compare, I left it in the snow. I was shooting the DD today sighting in for late antlerless season.
F1 Firearms Receiver Set ~ 300BLK 12.5" Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrel ~ Dead Air Sandman Ti
Daniel Defense M4V11 ~ Dead Air Sandman S
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Terrible Underwood 194gn Max Expansion

Post by BlogSarge »

I’ve never tried the Underwood ammo, but have shot the same 194ME bullet loaded by Beck Defense (https://beckdefense.net/) and gotten good results. My blackouts are all 1:7 but I don’t know if that matters. I think 1:8 should do fine with the 194s.

I also shoot the Hornady and get good results like you.
loveha

Post by loveha »

Guess I will give another brand loading a try. Looked for Beck, could not find it in stock anywhere.
Also the Proof is 1:7, not 1:8, and possibly why it is not as bad as the DD rifle which is a 1:8. I generally only use the custom built SBR for subs, and the 16" DD for supers that I shoot the 120gn Barnes out of.

Edit - Chatted directly with Paul I'm guessing of Maker Bullets on Facebook. At midnight I might add, and placed an order. Said if I am not satisfied, to contact and he will work with me. I know who I am doing business with from now on for my subs, maybe even my supers.
F1 Firearms Receiver Set ~ 300BLK 12.5" Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrel ~ Dead Air Sandman Ti
Daniel Defense M4V11 ~ Dead Air Sandman S
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Maker ammo is good stuff. I ordered some 350 Legend ammunition from there a few days ago. He called personally to update me on it as they had just gotten in the copper and were starting to turn the bullets. Definitely a class act.

If you still want to shoot the 194ME, I think Lehigh itself has some in stock. I’ve had good accuracy from Beck but it often is out of stock.