sub sonic?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

kerrek

sub sonic?

Post by kerrek »

If not running suppressed, is there any reason to run subs? Just built a 300 and looking to start getting ammo to try out in it.

ken
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: sub sonic?

Post by John A. »

In my humble opinion, not really.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Try some to see if it works for you. May be quieter than a full load but may not do what you want it to. Need a bullet that expands at slower speeds. What size barrel do you have?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

it would depend on your reason to want to run subs & you handload

if you're looking to handload and keep powder cost on the cheap - yes

however that in mind your only real option to offset cost would be using something like the dolomite special or one of the other cast/coated bullets from somewhere like missouri bullet company or leatherhead. you may be able to find a decent deal on jacketed blems or seconds, but those are relatively rare and require patience. there are several good cast/coated options listed under the reloading section if thats your preference.

if you're looking for a hunting bullet - since youre not suppressed - just use a quality supersonic bullet/load. hunting grade subsonic expanding bullets are expensive - most of them are around $1 per bullet as a reloading component.

if you dont handload - really, the only other reason i can think of that hasnt been mentioned is reduced recoil - not that the blackout has a bunch to begin with.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
kerrek

Post by kerrek »

Thanks Guys! I do handload and am getting components together to start. More interested in saving to be able to shoot more. I have a 16" carbine barrel. Just curious, how much quieter in real life are Subs vs Super unsuppressed? Any appreciable difference? I live in a rural area but do have neighbors and if even a bit quieter than Super, would run subs to help keep the peace so to speak.

Ken
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

This is as subjective as it gets, but I think the subs are very fun to plink with.

The recoil impulse out of a SBR or pistol is just pleasant. It isn't non existant, but the gun rolls lightly and ends up lined up on target such that it is not hard to find the rythm for doubles.

Also less noise is nice.

And some disadvantages are fun. The subs have more drop to them, so shooting at range takes more effort, and is therefore a little more satisfying.