Double tap with subs.
First center mass.
Next between the eyes.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Re: Home Defense Sub-Sonic Ammo

Post by GunFunZS »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
rebel wrote:Go your own way brother. Sub 300 may stop a threat or maybe he has to to bleed out. Depends on your aim, middle of the night, sleepy eyed and buck naked. Robert tends to hate me saying this but # 4 buck in a properly choked shotgun will put them down every time. Get the mop out , it's gonna be messy.
For a VERY long time I used this exact setup, high brass #4 shot. It would be far more effective than anything mentioned in this thread.
#4 buck is a whole different thing from #4 shot. Also brass height is as useful for approximating power of a shotshell as hair length is for working out whether you are talking to a man or a woman.

Also, re noise you claimed that in an emergency no one is aware of the shot noise. That's part true. Most people get tunnel vision and go largely blind and deaf during extreme stress. But it isn't everyone, and it isn't every time. Also it is nice to be able to hear afterwards. The lack of awareness of the shot during the event is your brain ignoring your ears. They are still getting damaged though.

Having used a lot of bullets to shoot or at least shoot at pests, I can really appreciate the gun which I can grab in a hurry without regretting afterwards.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

GunFunZS wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
rebel wrote:Go your own way brother. Sub 300 may stop a threat or maybe he has to to bleed out. Depends on your aim, middle of the night, sleepy eyed and buck naked. Robert tends to hate me saying this but # 4 buck in a properly choked shotgun will put them down every time. Get the mop out , it's gonna be messy.
For a VERY long time I used this exact setup, high brass #4 shot. It would be far more effective than anything mentioned in this thread.
#4 buck is a whole different thing from #4 shot. Also brass height is as useful for approximating power of a shotshell as hair length is for working out whether you are talking to a man or a woman.

Also, re noise you claimed that in an emergency no one is aware of the shot noise. That's part true. Most people get tunnel vision and go largely blind and deaf during extreme stress. But it isn't everyone, and it isn't every time. Also it is nice to be able to hear afterwards. The lack of awareness of the shot during the event is your brain ignoring your ears. They are still getting damaged though.

Having used a lot of bullets to shoot or at least shoot at pests, I can really appreciate the gun which I can grab in a hurry without regretting afterwards.
Yep, I am aware of every bit of that. I was speaking in generalities for the benefit of those who are unaware. I prefer not to get in a long diatribe talking about extraneous stuff that most people would find useless or boring. My entire life has been dealing with gun related stuff. At 8 years old I was using nails to make firing pins for old falling block 22's. Had to keep remaking them because I could not get them hard enough to last more than a few hundred rounds.

I've loaded low brass stuff well beyond safe levels on more occasions that I care to mention but the vast majority of shotgun shooters differentiate between different types of shotgun shells by the brass height.

Not sure you remember who I am but we have spoke on the phone quite a few times over the years. Last time was about 10 years ago I guess if you are who I am thinking of. You are, or were a commercial fisherman in the Northwest, Oregon or Washington. Last time we spoke you were trying to get a chicken rotisserie to work for cooking powder coated bullets. I am the one in Tennessee who was in a helicopter accident that forced me into retirement.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Oh. I remember and appreciate you.

Just clarifying the facts for other readers. A lot of people are confused on shotgun stuff. A lot of misinformation and old wives tales confuse the facts, and because of the saiga and vepr work I've done, a lot of getting people to happy conclusions starts with taking away the confusion.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Try some 150gr with cfe pistol, 8-9gr. Cycles pistol gas ~1400 fps. Best of all worlds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

popper wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:38 pm Try some 150gr with cfe pistol, 8-9gr. Cycles pistol gas ~1400 fps. Best of all worlds.
Please defend why this is “the best of both worlds”

I disagree for many reasons, but am open to having my mind changed
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I echo Dellet's above response. I shoot a lot of CFE Pistol powder, very much like AutoComp. Not sure with all my other choices that CFE-P would be a good choice. In for more info, open to reasonable proof of concept :P
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Shooting 145,170 & 185gr cast at fps greater than pistol, low recoil, accurate close. cfe pistol (flash suppressed) cycles the AR. Other choice would be keltek 40sw carbine. 30 rnds beats my 40sw XD.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It’s a plan, not one I would use, but at least you thought it out and have one.

You have left a lot of performance on the table for no apparent reason. All the noise of super sonic rounds, and bullets producing 65% the performance possible.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

OP said ar pistol. You ever shoot 45 inside without ears? At nite? Those are subs. Shotgun in a house? Ha. Try moving around. Real heavy penetrate a lot, light are hard to cycle ar.