Bullet Stabilization testing?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Bullet Stabilization testing?

Post by alamo5000 »

I have done a ton of reloading but I have never done it using cast bullets, particularly out of a rifle.

The Leatherhead company that many people here mentioned just merged with a company called Gallant Bullets (Leatherhead is no more as far as I know).

Since this is the very first time I have ever used a non mainstream jacketed bullet in a rifle I am wondering what kind of, or rather HOW I should conduct tests to verify stability BEFORE I shoot them through my suppressor.

These are the bullets I bought:

https://gallantbullets.com/collections/ ... 8289763425

I am being extremely cautious here because I don't want to risk a baffle strike at all. My brand new .30cal can.... no way. That said they shipped my bullets out today so eventually once I get them I will do some reloads and see how they run.

One of my friends suggested shooting through a target at 2" from the muzzle as well as at 6" from the muzzle. If it's pitching or yawing inside the can this is not a good thing at all.

Since this aspect is very new to me how do you guys do any stability tests on the bullets you use or even cast yourself?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bullet Stabilization testing?

Post by dellet »

First do all testing without the suppressor on.

A good target, that will show a good bullet hole out at 5-10 feet is good enough to check for suppressor use. Then check again at 50 and 100.

If you try at inches, muzzle blast will ruin any hope of seeing a bullet hole.

Don't trust any of the longer jacketed or monolithic bullets for that matter. I've tested enough specialty bullets over the years and seen enough come apart at the muzzle, that I don't trust anything that I have not personally tested.

JBM has a stability calculator that is pretty good, but none of them I am aware of have any cast bullet formulas.

These were a cast at 5 yards

Top holes were a 1/3 twist, bottom 1/10

Out to 50 yards

Circled 1/10
hashmarked 1/5
not marked 1/7

This was the pre-production testing for Dolomite's 265 grain bullet. It might be worth a read. Tere were some things that I did to make it fail. High pressure powders, loading into a tight neck that scraped the coating off, deformed the tip seating. Common loading errors that could take out a can. Might give you some things to watch out for.

viewtopic.php?t=100346
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Cast bullets sized to .3085? No thanks.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

golfindia wrote:Cast bullets sized to .3085? No thanks.
Why? Talk to me.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

dellet wrote:First do all testing without the suppressor on.

A good target, that will show a good bullet hole out at 5-10 feet is good enough to check for suppressor use. Then check again at 50 and 100.

If you try at inches, muzzle blast will ruin any hope of seeing a bullet hole.

Don't trust any of the longer jacketed or monolithic bullets for that matter. I've tested enough specialty bullets over the years and seen enough come apart at the muzzle, that I don't trust anything that I have not personally tested.

JBM has a stability calculator that is pretty good, but none of them I am aware of have any cast bullet formulas.

These were a cast at 5 yards

Top holes were a 1/3 twist, bottom 1/10

Out to 50 yards

Circled 1/10
hashmarked 1/5
not marked 1/7

This was the pre-production testing for Dolomite's 265 grain bullet. It might be worth a read. Tere were some things that I did to make it fail. High pressure powders, loading into a tight neck that scraped the coating off, deformed the tip seating. Common loading errors that could take out a can. Might give you some things to watch out for.

viewtopic.php?t=100346
Thank you!

I will test extensively.
Last edited by alamo5000 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

alamo5000 wrote:
Why? Talk to me.
Too small. But maybe your gun is different than any of mine.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

golfindia wrote:
alamo5000 wrote:
Why? Talk to me.
Too small. But maybe your gun is different than any of mine.
I am trying to learn here but why would those be too small? With FMJ the bullets are .308. These are slightly larger plus the coating.

V Seven makes 10/22 barrels that start out .22 cal and taper to be .20 at the muzzle. I've talked to those guys at length about what that does. They did that though with a special purpose in mind. That said, using coated cast bullets is there really a need to essentially squish the bullet down your barrel that much?

I understand that it needs to be done some, but wouldn't over doing it cause higher pressures and be dependent on the hardness of the bullet?

Here is a link to the tapered bore 10/22 barrel (they have more than one version)

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/10-22-barrel-16-in/

Basically by squishing the bullet it gives a higher BC and greater accuracy at longer ranges. At normal .22LR distances it doesn't make a large difference.

Translating that to 300 BLK what does oversizing the bullet actually accomplish? If the lead and coating are hard enough wouldn't a slight oversize be sufficient?

Sorry for the multiple questions. I am a voracious learner when it comes to these things. I have exactly zero experience with cast bullets.

My plated 9mm bullets are .356 vs a FMJ that is .355. Slightly oversized but not by much, then add plating...
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

If you want a real education on cast bullets go over to castboolits. Some of the guys there are very good at making them shoot very well in almost anything. But generally cast starts out at .001 over bore diamter. The best way to find that is to drive a soft slug though and measure since barrels can be different from lot to lot. Going .003 over is even in the realm if testing shows it likes it, never know till you try.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Never heard of Vseven, but I have heard of Volquartsen and Kidd. I wouldnt try to translate whatever shennanigans they did with a 10-22 barrel into 300blk.

Look up obturation, and you'll find some info.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

golfindia wrote:Never heard of Vseven, but I have heard of Volquartsen and Kidd. I wouldnt try to translate whatever shennanigans they did with a 10-22 barrel into 300blk.

Look up obturation, and you'll find some info.
I will look it up. Thanks!

V Seven is an offshoot of the original Noveske of AR fame. Some of the original Noveske crew put together a new company that makes top tier firearms products. At least that is my understanding. They were right there from the get go and make really good stuff. EXTREMELY professional to say the least.