230gr lead loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Gjs

230gr lead loads

Post by Gjs »

Hi
I just ordered a rarr in 300blk just wondered if anyone has tried the Lee 230gr cast bullet and what loads & powder you have used, I will be casting my own bullets have a good choice of powder to use but was wondering if anyone has used any faster burning powder like red dot or similar as most of the data I can find uses a slower magnum pistol powders. I want to load them around 900 to 1000fps
Had good results in my 30/30 with this type of load.

As there are not many blackout shooters yet over here in England.

Any good information or load data would be appreciated

Cheers

GJS
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: 230gr lead loads

Post by rebel »

I have played with Red Dot, Unique, Green Dot some. Hard to get really low ES # with that combo. Trail Boss or Tin Star come to mind if you are looking for ultimate quiet. For performance - do have access to Vihtavuori powders?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

You might find more in this area
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=81567

Here’s one that you should be able to trust.
gds wrote:AAC Model 7
16"
NOE 247gr cast from Wheel weights
5.5gr Red Dot powder
Cut down Blank LC
Fiochi Small rifle
COAL 2.195
1000fps
Very quiet suppressed. The Bolt action allows for a longer OAL than for an AR15
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

Hi

Cheers for the reply yes got access to vit powders used it lots when we still were allowed to own handguns also used in my 30/06 and other rifles I’ve had over the years.

Will give that load a try that you posted I’ve got trail boss as well. I will look at the link u sent me to.

Cheers
GJS
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I'm curious about Trailboss. I use it some but cannot get it to meter worth shucks. I've considered just using the scoup that I use for my black powder gun or making one out of a 300 BO case. The BP one has an adjustment and I would probably be somewhat accurate. What I do now is weigh each load and is a pain.
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

Hi Dellet

Found that link useful it has given me a few ideas to try for I’ve been stocking up a bullet heads as all prices of them seems to be rocketing in price from just over a year ago £45 for 100 Hornady 168gr A max that’s about 60 dollars.as to the post about trail boss I’ve not used it very much except large cases like 45/70

Will let you know how I get on with the 300 when it arrives

Good shooting

Gjs
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Gjs wrote:Hi Dellet

Found that link useful it has given me a few ideas to try for I’ve been stocking up a bullet heads as all prices of them seems to be rocketing in price from just over a year ago £45 for 100 Hornady 168gr A max that’s about 60 dollars.as to the post about trail boss I’ve not used it very much except large cases like 45/70

Will let you know how I get on with the 300 when it arrives

Good shooting

Gjs
This is the cast bullet section, there will be some more loads there.
viewforum.php?f=185

A better search tool for the site
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx ... tl9hapdoi0

Since you can get Vihtavouri powders, two good ones are N105 and Tin Star.

What powders do you have now?
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

Hi

I’m out of vit at the moment got bullseye herco 2400, vectan AS which is American select, also got trail boss cfe223 , I’ve bought some H110 for the 300 as the magnum pistol powders look good and economical to load subsonic & supersonic.

I’ve cast some lead bullets this week they look pretty good also make my Owen lube for them they are just over 308 as my 309 die does not do much to them when I size them

Thanks again for the reply

Gjs
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

Hi

Looked on the vit site like you say 105 looks good but what loads you use with tin star I know it’s like trail boss I suppose you can loaded it pretty much the same asTB

Cheers
Gjs
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Gjs wrote:Hi

Looked on the vit site like you say 105 looks good but what loads you use with tin star I know it’s like trail boss I suppose you can loaded it pretty much the same asTB

Cheers
Gjs
For heavy, long cast bullets it works better than Trail Boss, but you do need to pay more attention to pressure signs.

The big difference is density. An empty case holds about 6 grains of Trail Boss, a bit over 9 of Tin Star. Some longer bullets just won’t leave enough room for Trail Boss.

Vectan AS might also be hard due to capacity. I used it for 175 grain subsonic loads and it worked quite well. Never tried anything heavier.

2400 can work well for both sub and super.

There are a lot of good powders for subsonic loads in a bolt action. The reason there are not as many loads posted is that they will not cycle an AR. People are really just now experiencing the fun and quiet of a hand fed rifle.

Use the search function posted earlier and you will find more examples.

If you do a google search for “300 Whisper Vectan” or “Nobel sport” there will be data from LHS that is very good.