230gr lead loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Gjs

Re: 230gr lead loads

Post by Gjs »

Hi

Thanks for the info I know the lhs site they have a lot of data on there but as you probably know some of the manufactures in Europe don’t list as much data as the USA for certain calibres, I use lovex sometimes in my 30-30 but they only list one bullet weight, think they are the same as accurate powders.

I suppose most shooters on your side of pond run AR’s you can get them over here but they are straight pull only and more expensive to buy and the backup is not so good if you have issues with rifle so no real advantage for me.

But will let you know how I get on with the rifle when it arrives.
Cheers
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

Hi finally got my RARR here in the uk but have had good results with Lyman 210gr gas checked cast bullet usining H110 it shot a tiny 5 shot group albeit it was only 20 yards but should have great potential it measured .15” will try to post picture when I have worked out how to do it
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Gjs wrote: Hi finally got my RARR here in the uk
Wow, ten months! What part of the process takes so long?

At what distance do you ultimately plan to shoot subs?
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

It takes a while to get anything that’s new from US as I wanted the rarr with the 10 shot mag, then the importers wait until they have got a large enough order to come over from US, if you did not know the guns have to proofed in the UK so it’s off to the proof house if they are busy that’s another delay. Then it get sent back to the importer then it gets sent to my local dealer.

It can be a ball ache to get somethings but if the gun shops have got in stock it’s no hassle.
But I wished we had the freedom you guys over the pond have got with your firearms as it’s tightly controlled in the UK. I was big pistol shooter before they got banned here in about 1996. But into my cowboy rifles & a bit of long range shooting to. Got three marlins 2 x 45-70 & a 30-30

Gjs
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

Hi bang bang ping

Plan on trying them at 100 & 50 yards it depends on what range I go to.
But going to shoot High velocity at 300 & 600 as we can shoot on military ranges here.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Gjs wrote:It takes a while to get anything that’s new from US as I wanted the rarr with the 10 shot mag, then the importers wait until they have got a large enough order to come over from US, if you did not know the guns have to proofed in the UK so it’s off to the proof house if they are busy that’s another delay. Then it get sent back to the importer then it gets sent to my local dealer.

It can be a ball ache to get somethings but if the gun shops have got in stock it’s no hassle.
But I wished we had the freedom you guys over the pond have got with your firearms as it’s tightly controlled in the UK. I was big pistol shooter before they got banned here in about 1996. But into my cowboy rifles & a bit of long range shooting to. Got three marlins 2 x 45-70 & a 30-30

Gjs
On the plus side, at least we know that if you are shooting, you are taking it seriously.

Freedom is under constant attack everywhere, and my state is currently on the chopping block.

The great irony is that the US and the western european nations all claim to be democracies,or some form of representative based system, but now the bulk of our law is not generated, altered, or enforced by any representative agents, but by administrative bureaucrats over whom the public have absolutely no control or even influence. In most cases even the people we elect don't have the ability to hire or fire the people who make the rules. I do not exempt the US from this at either the federal or the state level. We are no longer a representative government, but we have some inertia, and some systems that slow how fast our unelected officials can take away our choices, and tell us what is best.

I do believe that the more common a thing is, the more it is normal in the public mind and the harder it is to pass a substantial restriction on it. Keep on shooting, and bring as many people as you can. Don't let it be a private club for gentlemen. That reduces it to an obscure hobby for "them", not a thing that normal people do.

p.s. Most of us who have used the Lee 230 mold have not been particularly happy with it. If you search, you will find far more threads about frustration than you will find positive content. I probably cast mine too hard, but they do make an impressive hole in cardboard when they land broadside at 10m or so.

You might look into a mold like this one:
https://thereloadersnetwork.com/2019/01 ... to-finish/
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

Hi
Lee mold has given me a lot of trouble it casts them 309 at the top of the driving bands & 307 at the bottom got a lot of tumbling bullets powder coated them which helped. But gave the Lee mold up, I dropped on a lyman 210gr silloette mold at a good price about $30 new 20 pounds UK money which is a bargain and it casts great and they shoot great.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Gjs wrote:Hi
Lee mold has given me a lot of trouble it casts them 309 at the top of the driving bands & 307 at the bottom got a lot of tumbling bullets powder coated them which helped. But gave the Lee mold up, I dropped on a lyman 210gr silloette mold at a good price about $30 new 20 pounds UK money which is a bargain and it casts great and they shoot great.

That is a bargain.
If you can get a multi cavity version of any mold you use, it will be very worth the additional expense.

FWIW, I think Lee does manufacture good stuff, that particular bullet is a bad design.

I have a 6 cav Lee mold of an old lyman design, and it shoots great. So don't be afraid to pick up lee stuff. Normally the low cost and and stellar warranty makes them more worthwhile, but perhaps getting them in the UK might increase the expense, and make the risk of a dud not worth it. That said, I've also been hearing people complain about diminishing quality with Lyman too.
Gjs

Post by Gjs »

Hi yes you are right Lee moulds are very good normally I must have about 12 and good value for money about $30 ish for a double cavity over here, we can get most makes of reloading gear as the bigger importers bring in Lee RCBS Hornady Lyman & redding don’t see so much Dillon theses days was very popular in the 90’s. Only thing slows getting reloading stuff is if its not popular over here but it turns up eventually it took three months for my RCBS dies in 300blk
Probably like most shooters I’ve got a mixture of makers depending on the caliber.
I do want to try a NOE mould they look very good.
Vicvic

230gr lead loads

Post by Vicvic »

Likely they are having to pay hazmat, over seas shipping, and the wieght will all be factors as well as only ordering in small quantities.

Try ordering from the sportsmans guide or macks, a flat of shells it will add the cost of about one box of steel shot or can of powder gets a lot more pricey.

I found some older lead loads, some of those nice XX 5s and they were marked 17.00.