300BLK ammo for personal defense?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Animal

300BLK ammo for personal defense?

Post by Animal »

What are folks using for SD ammo?

The hunting ammo that I have found is pushing 20+ inches in gell, too much over penetration for personal use
Not intersted in Sub, not enough penetration.

Hornady as a 135gn FTX that they say does 17 inches in gel and a 110gn Vmax that also does about 17" there test is a 20" barrel so there will be a drop with my 10-inch barrel. These look like good options.

Opinions?
QuietMike
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300BLK ammo for personal defense?

Post by QuietMike »

Lehigh controlled chaos for me.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

.....I typically interpret "HD" to mean an intruder is already within the walls of your abode..... with that perspective I'd most likely opt of a varmint type bullet, especially if used in a short barrel. The rationale I use is if I did use a short 300BLK inside the abode, at the confrontation distance that particular type of bullet will still have sufficient velocity to expand as designed. Hopefully it's type of construction would also decrease over-penetration in walls, depending on type of wall material.

...suppressed isn't an option in my locale and our local ordinances currently limit your available options of force to INSIDE your domicile, outside is just a legal and civil nightmare waiting to happen... :roll:
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

I use the 100 blacktip.

Some say it will over-penetrate. But I wonder how many actual instances there are where this was any factor. If anyone knows of an please chime in. Especially if you know of any statistical significant number of cases. My belief is that under-penetration is more hazardous than over=penetration because it may not adequately stop te bad guy.

As for the test barrel length beng longer, so your actual velocity being lower. This might actually lead to greater penetration due to less bullet upset. Seems counter-intuitive, but in many instances slower bullets of the same type will penetrate more.

And, in the end, pick a reasobaly bullet and put several where they need to go. Shot placement is more critical than anything else.
Smitters1775

Post by Smitters1775 »

I have no scientific testing other than watching YouTube. But I handloaded 50 subsonic 174 grain Lehigh Defense controlled fracture with 10 grains of Accurate 1680. The 5 I shot were all within the center few inches on a 16” wide by 30” tall steel silhouette at 100 yards with an eotech and they measured roughly 1000 FPS. So they’re slower than need be but for what they are for I’m not overly concerned with extreme accuracy. It’s only about 35 feet from the bedroom door to my entry door. So 1 moa doesn’t matter to me, stopping the aggressor matters more.

I always loaded up fast varmint bullets for my 223 prior to 300 black out and they were very multi purpose, grab the gun and shoot at coyotes in the yard if needed. But they caused a lot more disturbance when shooting them. Meaning if I shot them in the house I’d fear anyone being near the muzzle, there would be a large fireball(ruining all night vision mine and theirs), and there was always fear it’d blow through or not penetrate a door or anything that got in the way(I know not likely but a fear nonetheless).

So insert a heavy ish subsonic designed to explode on imapact bullet. After a few youtube videos of them in ballistics gel I decided they were a very good alternative. The petals do break off but there is still a “slug” that travels deep. And from all the videos I watched even when the slug exited the gel it tended to bounce off stuff. One other real benefit I have is shooting them subsonic against my steel targets, the heavy subs will literally rock the steels world where my 556 will keep it still enough for immediate follow ups. I know not scientific at all but I am starting to lean towards that heavy slow bullet for home defense versus the fast small explosive one.

All this is legit just my .02 cents as I ramble on trying to fall asleep. Oh and they’re all loaded into a 10.5” with suppressor SBR pistol length gas and it never has an issue functioning with subs.
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

Lehigh 110gr controlled chaos would be my pick for supers.
Lehigh 168gr controlled fracturing and 194gr max expansion for subsonics after dropping 150+ Red deer with them some weighting over 300 lbs, a double tap in the chest will stop any man with plenty of penetration.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

194 Lehigh max expansion handloads
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BlogSarge wrote:I use the 100 blacktip.

Some say it will over-penetrate. But I wonder how many actual instances there are where this was any factor. If anyone knows of an please chime in. Especially if you know of any statistical significant number of cases. My belief is that under-penetration is more hazardous than over=penetration because it may not adequately stop te bad guy.

As for the test barrel length beng longer, so your actual velocity being lower. This might actually lead to greater penetration due to less bullet upset. Seems counter-intuitive, but in many instances slower bullets of the same type will penetrate more.

And, in the end, pick a reasobaly bullet and put several where they need to go. Shot placement is more critical than anything else.
The one potential problem with the Black Tips is that they are basically a Barrier Blind bullet. The risk is not so much with a hit as it is with a miss.

This was an early video that went really well in that it shows some real world possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adaEF5N ... s&index=43
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Good link. Thanks dellet.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

John A. wrote:Good link. Thanks dellet.
He posted here a lot as "quiet riot". Worth visiting his channel "Twangnbang" or looking up his posts here. Always real world results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-2_HD6Z7Mw
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.