300BLK ammo for personal defense?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300BLK ammo for personal defense?

Post by BlogSarge »

I do like his stuff. Well put together and great video quality.

Of course, for me, I deliberately choose a barrier-blind projectile, both for the rounds i spec for our department and for my personal use. Everyone needs to assess their situation and make the best choice they can.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BlogSarge wrote:I do like his stuff. Well put together and great video quality.

Of course, for me, I deliberately choose a barrier-blind projectile, both for the rounds i spec for our department and for my personal use. Everyone needs to assess their situation and make the best choice they can.
I think that's one of the best examples of what can go wrong or right in a shot. And of course the right bullet for the job at hand is the best one.

Another favorite, Sub-sonic Match King vs Bullet proof glass for the next time a celebrity tries to rip me off :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ely6T4ZfSls
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I’d take a 30 cal most anything over all but a few .223. I think the popularity of the 22 in the military influences many. They have to carry theirs.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Velocity is king for several reasons.

First, the higher the velocity the more likely the bullet will come apart hitting objects, preventing over penetration.
Second, it will limit over penetration in soft targets as well.
Third, to get to the high velocities you must use lightweight bullets which help minimize over penetration, both on soft and hard targets.

Weight increases energy by a factor of two and velocity increases by a factor of four. So you get a lot more energy from a faster bullet versus a heavier bullet.

Slow bullets will over penetrate more than fast bullets. Because of this I would NEVER consider a subsonic round for self defense.

I would find the lightest bullet that is reliable in your gun then load that to max, or beyond as long as you work up safely.

My self defense 5.56 loads are HOT and by hot I mean the brass is unusable after it has been fired. I load 53 grain SMKs at 3,380 fps and they, literally, blow up when they hit anything. Over penetration, either hard or soft targets, is non existent.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Interesting anyone would consider BO for SD, defined as IN your abode. If you've circled the wagons, yup, you're under attack but it's not what I'd call SD. And they are hard to CHL.
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

I'm using VMax bullets in mine in a rural area.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

115 Controlled Chaos for supers though I prefer the 194 maximum expansion sub handloads because they are hearing safe indoors with my supressor. On a budget 125 SST's.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Saw a vid of 22 NAA snub nose with stinger, lr, long & short. All travelled same distance in water jugs except the short. 4 jugs. 1 jug for the short and it tumbled. 223 & 308. 223 goes through more wood, but tumbles. Any 12 ga goes through 2 wall rock and plywood, 20 dove is least over penetration. 40sw goes end to end through a big hog.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Dont use the 110 gr tac-tx for home defense unless you plan to shoot through an object or like over penetration, it will go through a deer shoulder, double lung and exit the other side at 117 yds :shock: (pumping 2,245 fps from an 8" AR)

Ill try to get some pics up at some point :P

As for me and my house..........i think id go 110 v-max or varmegeddon as hot as you can find them.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !