How much space is needed for reloading?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

How much space is needed for reloading?

Post by TexasEric »

My wife and I got a house a few months ago. I have a good amount of space in a room for myself.
I have started calling it the gun cave.
Also the garage has a pre-existing work bench

How much space does one need to set-up for reloading? Calibers will be 308 and 300 blk
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: How much space is needed for reloading?

Post by plant.one »

my reloading space grew along with my hobby.

i started with a 2x2 counter top.
then went to a 2x4 bench with a full shelf below it
then built a 2x8 bench
then put the two togther in a L shape
and then built an upper shelf to go with it

what im getting at is... your reloading space can be whatever you need it to be. However if you plan to stay in it long term, building a nice big bench will always benefit you.

i use the 48" section as the ammo assembly space - its where my presses call home. the long arm lf the L is used for all kinds of stuff, including brass prep and sorting, working on guns, cleaning station, component storage, my cleaning gear/solvents, some common tool storage, etc.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Hard to say. How many presses do you plan on having? You will need storage area for powder, primers, empty cases, projectiles and loaded rounds. Space for reload manuals, tumbler, dies, lube, scales, measurement devices and tools. Work space between presses is really nice.

If possible, allocate a 3x8 ft bench top or larger. Use shelving under the bench with more shelves and bins on top. Shelves to the side on the wall are always nice. You will fill the space, trust me, just like when you bought your first safe and had extra room then 3 years later you need a bigger safe. You get the idea.

Tell the wife that you have confiscated the ENTIRE room for your hobby and she can have the garage.
InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

You can get by with a small bench but you will need more storage as time goes on. BUT start with the largest bench you can deal with as if your house is like mine the wife will requisition any space that is not occupied. :lol: :lol:
10Driver
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 10Driver »

TexasEric, You didn’t give us much to go on, but FWIW...

Back about 30-years ago I started out reloading on the bar height kitchen counter of a condo in Houston. I had an RCBS RockChucker kit reloading straight walled pistol rounds using carbide dies. I think that bar was just big enough for two or maybe three stools. That was plenty of space for loading thousands of rounds and my setup was temporary with C-clamps so I could pack everything up and into a closet.

Now, for your bottle-neck rifle cases, you’ll need a bit more space for case prep. Next question is what type of press? If you’re loading for bolt action, then single stage or turret may be okay. If you’re feeding ARs or an M1A, then you may want a progressive. Either way, turret or progressives need more space to work and space for heads etc.

So what’s the real numbers? Single stage I could do fine with 4’ or 5’ of benchtop with a shelf above and below for supplies and gear. Turret press I’d want 6’ or 7’ length. Progressive, no less than +8’ and that’s with a small single stage to augment. More gear or presses equals lots of space.

Lastly, I’m not sure if you’re considering reloading in your Houston garage. I lived there for several years and under no circumstances would I even remotely recommend reloading in a garage there. Not even temporarily. Reloading stuff rusts in 0% humidity. Houston’s 110% humidity would rust everything in minutes. Stay indoors with full climate control of heat and A/C.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

TexasEric wrote:My wife and I got a house a few months ago. I have a good amount of space in a room for myself.

How much space does one need to set-up for reloading? Calibers will be 308 and 300 blk
Decide whether you want to work standing up or sitting down. I sit with a roll around secretary chair.

I would call this controlled ciaos as I know where everything is stored.

This is where handloading started for me. It is a Black & Decker folding workbench with a board clamped between the "jaws" to form a trough so bullets don't roll around. There is a Dillon 550B mounted in front.

I have a Rock Chucker mounter on the corner of an old desk (not pictured).

Seems there is no such thing as to much equipment or supplies. This is just one corner of this room. Brass cleaning is in the garage and powder storage is in the basement under a fire alarm.

The powder shortage a few years ago kill a lot of my powder storage space. At the time I had to get unwanted powder in 8 lb or larger jugs. Last I hear was if you have over 40 lbs of powder you need some type of magazine. Like most of my stuff, mine is home made.

In case you are wondering, the Everclear in the corner is for cleaning earplugs, not for drinking.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

My first apartment had no room... I used a pantry counter! Was about 36" wide and 14-16" deep... Worked was cramped, but worked.

I grew too.. that apartment was thirty + years ago. Today I have two rooms, Three benches multiple presses, many shelves and five cabinets & powder magazine... I also took a corner of our canned goods storage restocking supplies. (Doubles and back ups.)

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

Thanks for all the input! This is great, it is much appreciated.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Mine is a 36"X24" bench with a shelf under it, a Rock Chucker an a Dillon 650 mounted on top, shelves above and on an adjacent wall, bullet, powder, brass storage in the closet, and more junk on the floor than you can imagine including 4 Homer buckets of pistol brass, my desk and printer(my business office).
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

TexasEric wrote:My wife and I got a house a few months ago. I have a good amount of space in a room for myself.

This thread is all about a compact setup for reloading.
I used a 2X8 to build my setup like the one in the post here viewtopic.php?f=141&t=79003&start=20