Barnes TSX 180 gr sub loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Barnes TSX 180 gr sub loads

Post by John A. »

Good morning all.

I'm wondering what the opinions are about the 180 gr Barnes TTSX bullets where close in deer hunting subsonics will work from either a blind or a stand.

I currently have some 194 Lehigh max expansion pills loaded up and I think they will do well, but I'm wondering what kind of performance I should expect from the Barnes pill.

I could probably use the same powder charge that I'm using for the 194's and still stay at, or just under 1075 fps while maintaining function in the AR.

I just have no idea what to expect from the bullet itself concerning what velocity they expand, or stop expanding, or other important details about them. Especially if you've already used them to hunt deer or hogs or bear with.

I figured there would already be some real world results here, so that's why I'm asking before I get any.

Thanks in advance guys.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Akgun&Ammo
Silent Operator

Re: Barnes TSX 180 gr sub loads

Post by Akgun&Ammo »

same question I have...

LeHigh's are a little expensive...

was starting to think about faster loads (read LOUDER) to use from a stand

don't want to iffen don't have to.

but, this November I will have 8 or more tags for whitetails...

jus got Smus's spreadsheet, and as long as me bosses don't catch me at it... am purviewing to see what I can discover!

Chris
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Yeah, the Lehigh's cost is the main reason why I'm looking at alternatives.

I know the bullets are well made, and perform well. I have no problem with any of that.

But at more than a buck a pop, don't leave any room for tweaking loads or barely even checking scope zero

And so, I'm looking at what else is out there.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
QuietMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by QuietMike »

I've never used the barnes 180 in a blackout, only the 110.

Using it other calibers, it has been my experience that barnes bullets like to be pushed fast. For example I've loaded 165/168 grain in my 30-06 and 130 grain in a 308 with outstanding results.

I'd be shocked if a 180 expanded at all at BLK velicities.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

I would be willing to bet that your subsonic MV would be just over half of that bullet's minimum required expansion velocity, but I've lost plenty of bets in my day.

If you call Barnes, they will tell you most likely.