Remington 120 grain OTFB

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cjclemens

Remington 120 grain OTFB

Post by cjclemens »

I found a couple stray boxes of 120 grain OTFB from Remington UMC at my local Wal-Mart. The price was right, so I grabbed a couple boxes. When I opened one up, I saw that the brass was all stamped "Barnes." I'm assuming this means its loaded with a Barnes bullet, as well. If that's the case, can anyone tell me what bullet it is and if it's suitable for coyote hunting or strictly for punching holes in paper?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Remington 120 grain OTFB

Post by smustian »

Many use it as a "test" to see rifle function and initial sight in. Good ammo for plinking and paper punching. I would use it for coyote hunting since I will not be tracking them and do not care if they run off after being hit. Maybe check Youtube and see if there are any videos on whether they expand or not.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

its a barnes bullet, traditional copper jacket over lead. Barnes brass and loaded by Barnes for Remington.

great ammo, but unlikely to expand in anything other than concrete or steel.

with good shot placement it might be a decent coyote round, but dont depend on expansion to do the job for you.

they sure do hit steel respectably hard 8)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
cjclemens

Post by cjclemens »

plant.one wrote:its a barnes bullet, traditional copper jacket over lead. Barnes brass and loaded by Barnes for Remington.

great ammo, but unlikely to expand in anything other than concrete or steel.

with good shot placement it might be a decent coyote round, but dont depend on expansion to do the job for you.

they sure do hit steel respectably hard 8)
Do you know if that particular bullet is available to reloaders?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i wish, but i dont seem to recall anyone being able to come up with a source for them.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
ruger761

Post by ruger761 »

They make a great target round seem to be pretty accurate. Or a cheaper get the Scope on paper round, but I wouldn’t hunt with them. Well as said before hunt anything you don’t want to find easily. I shot a 4x4 post with these among others to cheaply test expansion rates out a little. The 125 SST and 125 NB did good, but the otfb made a .30” entry hole and made a .30” exit whole. Didn’t expand at all, I was a little shocked. The other 2 blew he back out of the posted as to be expected with a slightly larger entry hole.

The good news they are pretty cheap to plink with and their brass reloads well.

For fun shot my 55gr varmagedons in my 22-250 at the post, pretty much made splinters :)
Whtsmoke

Post by Whtsmoke »

Boy now this is funny as can be, I just went to my local Academy to look around and found the same Remington ammo for $15.99 a box and since i am collecting different ammo for the nice weather so I can try my new 330 out I bought one box. I opened the box and was comparing a round to a 223 i had laying here in front of me and just happened to look at the case head and found Barnes on it and I was going to ask the same thing. If the brass is good and its a decent round to get on paper i might go by in the morning and pickup a few more boxes of it. Thanks for answering my question the original poster asked. Happy New Year to all.
Sugartit

Post by Sugartit »

I got a 300 boo carbine kit fur Christmas from cdnn . Put together Saturday morning and bore sighted it. Went down the road to my shooting spot with these very bullets. As I we taking the rifle out of the bag i seen a bunch of pigs take off. Could not resist and the very first round down the barrel went through an 80 lb bore piglet. He ran about 25 yds. I went and bought two more boxes,lol. My first 300 by the way!
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Post by ozleux »

Sugartit wrote:I got a 300 boo carbine kit fur Christmas from cdnn . Put together Saturday morning and bore sighted it. Went down the road to my shooting spot with these very bullets. As I we taking the rifle out of the bag i seen a bunch of pigs take off. Could not resist and the very first round down the barrel went through an 80 lb bore piglet. He ran about 25 yds. I went and bought two more boxes,lol. My first 300 by the way!
Welcome to wonderful world of 300blk :mrgreen:
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
fixit

Post by fixit »

i've take two deer with that very round, first was double lunged, ran a 70 yard death run, had a good exit wound and blood trail. the second didn't exit, came just short of going full length of the deer, diagonally, ran less than 25 yards, laid down and died. 120 yard shot, and i'm happy with this round from remington!