FTW AMMO 110 Barnes black tip ammo

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Rob Ray

FTW AMMO 110 Barnes black tip ammo

Post by Rob Ray »

Hi All,

New to the forum. I bought some of the above ammo at the gun show at Tulsa a couple of weeks ago.
I'm firing it through a 9 inch AR pistol. I have had no functioning problems with this pistol prior to this ammo.
Out of the first 6 rounds, 2 of the empty cases stuck in the chamber and the primers were backed out maybe a 16th of an inch.
I examined all the fired cases and all of the primers had backed out a bit...even the ones that didn't stick in the chamber...SO now I have 44 rounds of ammo I'm concerned about!

I called FTW ammo...they told me the pistol length gas system is the problem and the ammo should fire fine in a carbine.
Obviously the ammo is a bit hot....will the carbine length gas system solve the problem...or should I try to get my money back for the ammo?

Thanks,
ROB Ray
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: FTW AMMO 110 Barnes black tip ammo

Post by 300Blk »

Um, no. They were incorrect.

It may still be your gun, but not because it has a pistol gas system.
Rob Ray

Post by Rob Ray »

I don't think the gun is the problem....I've fired 3 other brands of ammo in it with no problems....no signs of high pressure from them.

I wondered if FTW AMMO was giving me the straight scoop OR just wanting me to keep 65 dollars worth of ammo that was loaded too hot. They say it is within specs.

Thanks for the reply,

ROB Ray
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

It depends who you were speaking to. If it was the main person, then they don't seem to know much, which is bad. If it was just like a phone person, then I never expect much knowledge when I call places.

I called Honeywell today and the customer service couldn't say anything useful either, but I still buy their products.
avant4me
Silent Operator

Post by avant4me »

So I've put 100 rounds of FTWammo Barnes 110gr blacktips.
I can say that there is something up with these.

Gun:
Radical Firearms Melonite 10.5"
sig brace
Nikon P-300 scope

I was shooting Barnes Factory load 110gr and the accuracy is FAAAAAR better with it.
FTWammo rounds just aren't very accurate. Out at 100 yards I seriously reconsider taking a shot at a deer because its just not reliable. I've switched to Hornady 110 vmax for the moment until I can get more factory barnes blacktip.
Rob Ray

Post by Rob Ray »

I have some 110 vmax as well...will they be OK on deer or are they more of a varmint load?

Did you have any pressure signs with the FTW ammo....other than the poor accuracy?

Thanks,
ROB Ray
avant4me
Silent Operator

Post by avant4me »

I have a standard buffer from palmetto state armory so I always have marks on the bottom of my brass. But I did notice marking on the side of the casings too. I need to upgrade to an h1 or h2 buffer to slow things down.

I haven't shot a deer with the Hornady yet but its loaded in my gun right now. So I'll shoot a deer or a turkey with it. Ive seen others on here use it for deer so it'll do the job. The Barnes 110gr blacktip is just the gold standard for deer really.
FTWINC

Post by FTWINC »

Hey guys this is Ryan with FTW. I am sorry the Barnes loads didnt work out well for you, as our load is identical to the factory Barnes load. We have torn them down and reverse engineered their loads. They are hot, I will tell you that, and every gun shoots them differently. As to why the primers are backing out, I dont know. We havent had this issues on our 16" test rifles. I dont know how they would act out of every barrel out there because we dont have 1 of each barrel on the market to test our loads out of. We typically shoot for MOA out of a 16" gun and if we can get there at a reasonable pressure level thats what we run with. Now its possible that brass could be the factor, as we use reformed LC brass with crimps removed, and Barnes uses their own brass with primer crimps. If you guys want to exchange for some 110gr Varmageddon or 125gr ballistic tip, i would be more than glad to do so, equal value, I will cover the shipping. Just let me know.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

FTWINC wrote:Hey guys this is Ryan with FTW. I am sorry the Barnes loads didnt work out well for you, as our load is identical to the factory Barnes load. We have torn them down and reverse engineered their loads. They are hot, I will tell you that, and every gun shoots them differently. As to why the primers are backing out, I dont know. We havent had this issues on our 16" test rifles. I dont know how they would act out of every barrel out there because we dont have 1 of each barrel on the market to test our loads out of. We typically shoot for MOA out of a 16" gun and if we can get there at a reasonable pressure level thats what we run with. Now its possible that brass could be the factor, as we use reformed LC brass with crimps removed, and Barnes uses their own brass with primer crimps. If you guys want to exchange for some 110gr Varmageddon or 125gr ballistic tip, i would be more than glad to do so, equal value, I will cover the shipping. Just let me know.
Now that is a stand up offer and makes for a good place to buy from.
avant4me
Silent Operator

Post by avant4me »

[quote="FTWINC"]Hey guys this is Ryan with FTW. I am sorry the Barnes loads didnt work out well for you, as our load is identical to the factory Barnes load. We have torn them down and reverse engineered their loads. They are hot, I will tell you that, and every gun shoots them differently. As to why the primers are backing out, I dont know. We havent had this issues on our 16" test rifles. I dont know how they would act out of every barrel out there because we dont have 1 of each barrel on the market to test our loads out of. We typically shoot for MOA out of a 16" gun and if we can get there at a reasonable pressure level thats what we run with. Now its possible that brass could be the factor, as we use reformed LC brass with crimps removed, and Barnes uses their own brass with primer crimps. If you guys want to exchange for some 110gr Varmageddon or 125gr ballistic tip, i would be more than glad to do so, equal value, I will cover the shipping. Just let me know.[/quotes]

Way to be stand up :thumbsup:
I dont know what it is about it but for some reason it just didn't work out for my gun :( I really wished they did cause your business and prices are great! You even pick up the phone super quick! I might try some 125s or after I replace my buffer and make some changes the 110s again. Thanks for the good service