300 BLK MGM Contender barrel? Or CVA Scout V2 pistol?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DutchV
Silent But Deadly

300 BLK MGM Contender barrel? Or CVA Scout V2 pistol?

Post by DutchV »

I already own a Contender frame and a few barrels. It's got a really nice trigger, probably the nicest of any gun I own. And I see that a new barrel can be had from Match Grade Machine (MGM) in stainless and threaded by them. Price looks okay and I've heard good things about MGM.

I also see the CVA Scout V2 pistol in stainless and in 300 Blackout. Bergara makes the barrels, so that should be good. I see that the rifle barrel is threaded, but the pistol isn't. It'd be about $100 for threading at my local gunsmith. Never mind finding one in stock, which might answer the question right there. But it would give me an entire separate gun, not just a spare barrel, although it might cost a little more for the CVA.

Do you guys see any reason to go one way or the other? Ideas? Anything I'm missing?
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
cplater

Re: 300 BLK MGM Contender barrel? Or CVA Scout V2 pistol?

Post by cplater »

My choice would be to go for a MGM Contender pistol barrel. The trigger on the pre-G2 frames can be outstanding and it would cost less than the other options you listed and you can get the barrel threaded if you want to play with suppressors. It will take some time to have one custom made but probably less than trying to find the CVAs in stock somewhere. Besides MGM does good work and every one I've got from them has been great. I do have a Bergara carbine barrel for my Encore and it's no slouch so I don't think there is a bad choice. I just really like the Contender platform.
Roadrunner
Silent Operator

Post by Roadrunner »

I have a MGM barrel for my contender and am very happy with it. It is accurate, and I have no complaints. Mine is not stainless however I did get it threaded and also get the thread cap which matches up nicely. I like the contender as far as a separate gun it depends I how much I would shoot it. For the occasional round from a handgun I like the contender where I can change barrel for a little cheaper than several firearms.
teegee52
Silent Operator

Post by teegee52 »

I also have a Bergara 16.5" barrel for my Encore pistol. It has been phenomenally accurate. Use for deer here in Illinois.
Wanabgunsmith

Post by Wanabgunsmith »

Id really look into PSA. got this upper 8.5"brl nitride 8 twist 7"keymod FFHG@ christmas 250$ and i never thought i could feel this way about a tiny gun

a63.tinypic.com/1z50itg.jpg
Easily shoots 1/2moa(ikr!) with my tuned handloads
superdown

Post by superdown »

I own the CVA scout pistol in 300blk and they do come threaded some pictures don't show it but they do not offer the 300 blk without a threaded barrel.Image
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

Superdown - any chance you'd know a distributor that has one? I looked but can't find a 300 in stock.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
superdown

Post by superdown »

DutchV wrote:Superdown - any chance you'd know a distributor that has one? I looked but can't find a 300 in stock.
I got mine from Bud's gun shop.When i ordered mine no one else had any.Here is one on gun broker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =548372771
superdown

Post by superdown »

lawfullarry

Post by lawfullarry »

I'm a TC Contender enthusiast and have many barrels for my G2 and original frame contender. However, I got bit by the AR pistol bug:

But I must say I'm toying with the idea of making it into a SBR!!!