Handi-rifle vertical stringing

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ratbat

Handi-rifle vertical stringing

Post by Ratbat »

I've heard and read stories about vertical stringing w/ the Handi-rifle. I cleaned and lock-tited the picatinny rail screws; is that a fix or is there more needing to be done?
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Re: Handi-rifle vertical stringing

Post by talonxracer »

Verticle stringing with a break open rifle is usually a sign of excessive headspace. I am not sure if the handi can be adjusted for headspace though, one option is to form the brass long.

What do the primers look like? Brass length after firing?
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Ratbat

Post by Ratbat »

The scope and rings are due here on Friday. I haven't shot it yet but was trying to fix any known problems before I had it all together. I may not have a vertical stringing problem once I have it together but was concerned that others had mentioned it and wanted to avoid known issues. (Picatinny rail screws being loose or coming lose once the scope is mounted)
If I should develop any problems you can bet I'll be back here looking for help. Thanks for your response.
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

pascalp

Post by pascalp »

Vertical stringing is a problem with some handi, you may find valuable informations in a dedicated forum http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/
I still own a 22h and a 45/70, sold a 30-30, none had stringing concern. 30-30 and 45-70 accuracy is great.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

To rule in/out the forearm as the cause of verticle stringing you can shoot groups WITH OUT the forearm in place. Rest the underside of the receiver on the bag and be sure to support the bbl when opening the action.

I also "float" all my Handi's bbls fwd of the forearm attachment point. This helped even my Handi chambered in 500S&W with a chopped 18" bbl. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
Ratbat

Post by Ratbat »

Little boy who cried wolf. Mounted my Nikon scope, tightened down all the screws, and it runs like a top. No vertical stringing, just a nice cluster at POA. Thanks to all for the advice.
Now if I could just find affordable ammo.
Shaman

Post by Shaman »

Shot my 300blk Handi for the fist time today. Seems I have a bad one. In any case I got 4 very similar groups each with different ammo. All vertical strings. Don't know what I'm going to do with this one. Looks like an expensive paper weight at this point. I should mention this was at 50 yards using a Leopold scope at 7 power.

tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
pvanwagner
Silent But Deadly

Post by pvanwagner »

The barrel touches the fore-end. If you are experiencing vertical stringing try a spacer. One that works great and is available in most tool boxes is that crush washer that everyone has to remove from the flash hider when putting on a muzzle brake or silencer ready muzzle device. They are very cheap to order also, but alternately you can just use a washer. I have a washer on mine and it works great. I had to grind down the sides of it to make it fit though which is why I recommend the crush washer instead. The one from a 1/2" threaded barrel works great. A 5/8" one is too wide.