First Shots: H&R Handi-Rifle 300 AAC Blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dbuffington

First Shots: H&R Handi-Rifle 300 AAC Blackout

Post by Dbuffington »

Here’s a quick report on my new H&R Handi-Rifle chambered in 300 AAC Blackout …

Everyone says the 300 Blackout Handi-Rifle is small … and they’re right. When I picked mine up -- from the good folks at Lanco Tactical in Elizabethtown, Pa. -- I was stunned by how tiny it is. Even after the Lanco guys screwed on the flash-hider/quick-disconnect muzzle piece, it looked like a toy.

Attaching my YHM Phantom suppressor gave it a bit more visual heft … and a lot more actual weight. With the stock stock and the suppressor, it’s a bit front heavy, but not terribly so.

At the range? Well, there’s no confusing the Handi-Rifle for a toy. After just a few shots to get the red dot sighted in, here’s the grouping I got at 50 yards:

And I’m sure it will do better with a more appropriate optic for target shooting. (I’m thinking of some kind of extended-eye-relief -- i.e., pistol -- scope in the classic “Scout” configuration. That would also eliminate the clearance problems you’d have with the hammer and a conventional scope.)

Out of the box, the trigger pull was a bit heavy -- 6 pounds, 4 ounces on the Lyman scale -- but it breaks very cleaning. I suspect use will lighten the pull, and so, I’m not inclined to muck with the trigger.

Of course, the whole point of this exercise is to produce a quieter gun, one without the action noises built into the AR platform. You judge whether it does that …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dsm9H2J ... e=youtu.be

Complaints? The buttstock is too light and too short. However, there are lots of aftermarket choices for Handi-Rifles. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!
Dave
frogO2

Re: First Shots: H&R Handi-Rifle 300 AAC Blackout

Post by frogO2 »

This guy does some amazing stuff to the handi rifle.
Click on his forum link to see all the work he does.
He can lighten the trigger for you as well.

http://dandtcustomgunworks.com/
300 Blackout the Silent Army
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

Dbuffington wrote: And I’m sure it will do better with a more appropriate optic for target shooting. (I’m thinking of some kind of extended-eye-relief -- i.e., pistol -- scope in the classic “Scout” configuration. That would also eliminate the clearance problems you’d have with the hammer and a conventional scope.)
Just FYI, pistol scopes do not work well in a scout configuration, the eye relief is too long. You need an "intermediate eye relief" scope for a scout setup.
Dbuffington

Post by Dbuffington »

frogO2 wrote:This guy does some amazing stuff to the handi rifle.
Click on his forum link to see all the work he does.
He can lighten the trigger for you as well.

http://dandtcustomgunworks.com/
Thanks!
Dave
Dbuffington

Post by Dbuffington »

yondering wrote:Just FYI, pistol scopes do not work well in a scout configuration, the eye relief is too long. You need an "intermediate eye relief" scope for a scout setup.
You are quite correct. My apologies!
Dave
Dbuffington

Post by Dbuffington »

A bit of follow-up ...

I ordered the adjustable ATI stock set (forearm and buttstock) for the gun, and there are some installation issues:

1. The front of the new forearm puts some definite upward pressure on the barrel. However, a few minutes with a file took care of that problem.

2. The slotted-head bolt used to attach the new buttstock to the frame is too long, poorly machined and an absolute b*#ch to reach with any kind of tool.

I'll be headed to the hardware store this evening to find a substitute.

Thanks!
Dave
smilner01

Post by smilner01 »

Dbuffington wrote:A bit of follow-up ...

I ordered the adjustable ATI stock set (forearm and buttstock) for the gun, and there are some installation issues:

1. The front of the new forearm puts some definite upward pressure on the barrel. However, a few minutes with a file took care of that problem.

2. The slotted-head bolt used to attach the new buttstock to the frame is too long, poorly machined and an absolute b*#ch to reach with any kind of tool.

I'll be headed to the hardware store this evening to find a substitute.

Thanks!
Dave
Any pics of your setup?