Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

sardo67

Re: PWS MK116 300 BLACKOUT Piston Driven Upper 16"

Post by sardo67 »

USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

copenhagen wrote:You wouldn't like the 9.5 if you realized that the oem rails are too long to mount a 51T without taking them off and then to top it off, still too long to allow the suppressor to screw down properly. A real superb piece of engineering....let's make an upper which we have reason to believe people will use silencers on, but lets make the rails so that they prevent silencer use.....
The OEM rails are fairly simple to remove so it shouldn't be a big deal for most people wanting to install a 51T mount. Also, I've found that my 762-SDN-6 fits nicely under the lip on the top rail.

With that said, the ratchet lever on the can indexes right under the top rail so it is a little bit of a chore getting the lever depressed to unscrew the suppressor. But I do believe PWS makes a shorter top rail for those wishing to run the 51T and AAC suppressor.
sardo67

Post by sardo67 »

my brother works in a machine shop so i can get what ever i need milled down to fit, i just want a piston operated 300BLK upper.
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

sardo67 wrote:my brother works in a machine shop so i can get what ever i need milled down to fit, i just want a piston operated 300BLK upper.
Sounds like you're all set. It would be an easy deal to saw the "tongue" off the top rail. But if you're not planning on using the AAC can, it shouldn't matter.

Plan B might be to call Stacey at PWS and ask him if the upper can be special ordered with the shorter top rail right from the factory.
sardo67

Post by sardo67 »

USBP379 wrote:
sardo67 wrote:my brother works in a machine shop so i can get what ever i need milled down to fit, i just want a piston operated 300BLK upper.
Sounds like you're all set. It would be an easy deal to saw the "tongue" off the top rail. But if you're not planning on using the AAC can, it shouldn't matter.

Plan B might be to call Stacey at PWS and ask him if the upper can be special ordered with the shorter top rail right from the factory.
i talked to PWS already and they do not offer anything custom, i asked if i could get a shorter barrel or that upper but without the break attached so i don't have to take it off and they said no.
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

I emailed Stacey asking about a top rail that doesn't have the "tongue" that overhangs the flash hider. He said they are working on one that will be offered in the future but have nothing available currently.
benmarcos

Post by benmarcos »

It really is great if I could buy one. :lol:

______________________________________________________________________________________
I saw a child holding a butterfly knife
Forum Newbie

__________________________________________________________________________________
sardo67

Post by sardo67 »

so.... anyone get their hands on one of these?
k2ue

Post by k2ue »

sardo67 wrote:so.... anyone get their hands on one of these?
Yes, I got one from Red's Trading post via GunBroker.com. It's going to the range for the first time after lunch today. Will have comments later. It's on a Bushmaster lower with a Wilson Combat single-stage trigger.
Clyde Washburn
NRA Life Member, SAF Life Member, NY State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member,
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, SCOPE Member, GCL Member
k2ue

Post by k2ue »

sardo67 wrote:so.... anyone get their hands on one of these?
OK, just back from the range. Very pleased with the MK116: smooth operation, much smoother than the short-stroke 5.56 piston units I've used. Accuracy was mostly limited by the flair in the Eotech 552 (with 3x magnifier) center dot -- even when turned down to barely visible it has a "Y" shape that is a minute in size. When sighted for Remington 115gr to be 2" high at 100 yards, PNW Nosler 125gr were about 1" high (theoretically should have been 1.66" high), and Right2Bear Barnes 110gr were dead on (theoretically should have been 1.59" high). No horizontal dispersion between the 3 loads. So all 3 loads are within 2" of the sight from 10 to 150 yards, which is fine for defensive and eastern woodland deer hunting purposes. With a PWS muzzle brake recoil and muzzle lift were nil -- you could really pound a target with this setup, can't wait for a defensive rifle event. Report was mild with all 3 loads, compared to the guy next to me with an NY no-comp barrel 5.56 AR with seriously loud report.
Clyde Washburn
NRA Life Member, SAF Life Member, NY State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member,
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, SCOPE Member, GCL Member