Mini 300blkout/Garand build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Baltimoreed11754

Mini 300blkout/Garand build

Post by Baltimoreed11754 »

I started build this years ago. It started out as an older mini14 that was rebarreled by Accuracy Systems to 300 blkout. I then inlet the bbled action into a italian garand stock. After a few dead ends trying to find someone to install a gas cylinder I found a guy willing to do the work. He’s had my rifle for a few months now and yesterday we met for a test firing. Factory loads would move the bolt a little but there is interference between the op rod and bbl. No need to enlarge the gas port until free op rod movement. Supposed to get together next week.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
brutis
Silent Operator

Re: Mini 300blkout/Garand build

Post by brutis »

Pictures!

Must have pictures!!!
Baltimoreed11754

Would love to show photos but the forum won’t let me???
Last edited by Baltimoreed11754 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
brutis
Silent Operator

Post by brutis »

Baltimoreed11754 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 pm Would love to show photos but the forum won’t let me???
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=84314&hilit
Baltimoreed11754

I’m using an ipad pro and have my photos in folders. There are no computer id with these just the images. On the other sites I haunt it’s relatively easy to use their image access, some are more picky as to size and a second app is needed on most. When I go advanced it allows my to pull up me photos from my ipad and add them to my post. If you go to the perfectunion.com forum and look at the M1 garand talk sub forum you will see my T20 Garand build posts.
Last edited by Baltimoreed11754 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
brutis
Silent Operator

Post by brutis »

Here they don't host the pics for you so you'll need to use hosting site for pics like https://imgur.com/.

I use to use photobucket but since they screwed things up I've stopped using them.
Baltimoreed11754

My .33blkout/garand build here is also on the Gunboards and Perfect Union forums complete with photos. After my smith put it together but got stumped and couldn’t get it to cycle I picked it up last week to start tinkering with it. I eventually got it to feed, fire and eject 8 rds of American Eagle 150 gr 1900 fps ammo barely. It ejected aguila but wouldn’t strip the next rd. I initially opened his wag gas port from his .070 to .099 along with a rearrangement of op rod springs and the guide rod worked. Last night I opened it to .111. More testing today. Not knowing what I was doing other than a few photos on the fal forum I was very happy to see it kicking out brass yesterday.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
Baltimoreed11754

Had a breakthrough today using 21.0 gr of CFEBLK and 110 gr rn, 123 gr zmax, 125 gr midway plastic tipped and 130 gr hp bullets. All ejected and stripped the next rd. Couldn’t get H110 to work no matter what I did. More testing needed but at least my build’s running with my handloads. I had to swap my measures around as CFEBLK does not like a slide style powder measure. It was sticking the slide on my Dillon as the granules are so fine they could get in there and bind things. I replaced it with my old green RCBS drum measure. Seems to work a lot better and be more accurate. The Dillon is very accurate with the bigger flake powders.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
Baltimoreed11754

More good news, 20.0 gr with 150 gr bullets will eject and feed. Might have to bump the CFEBLK up a hair. But while grouping it is shooting low at 35 yds. I milled some off the garand front sight but am also going to play with the ruger rear sight as I’ve run out of elevation. I need to fab up a taller sight blade with a higher peep. I experimented today with putting a spring under the elevation screw and got it high enough so the poa and poi were the same but its way above the detent pin. But that gives me a measurement to work with. I found a couple of ruger peep blades so I’ve got something to play with. JBweld time.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
Baltimoreed11754

Got my stock filled in on both sides where the mini14 recvr is shorter than the garands. Also installed the ruger steel stock reenforcement with jbweld and the 2 side screws as I had some movement playing with the heavier bullets. Had to remove the damaged oak shims that I had initially installed. Also cut the groove in the bbl for the upper handguard split pin so now I’m fitting a m1a handguard as the garand’s is too short. I plan on using a mauser handguard clip to hold it on the bbl. I have one more piece to jbweld where the garand op rod cutout in the stock is too far forward for the mini14 op rod. Used my mini mill to lengthen the op rod slot on the m1a handguard.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’