H&R Handi Rifle in 300blk having trouble firing

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: H&R Handi Rifle in 300blk having trouble firing

Post by John A. »

dellet wrote: Actually, the proper way to check a break action with a No-go style gauge is not at all, or with the extractor removed and measure the amount of gauge sticking up or down out of the chamber.

If you drop the hardened steel gauge into a tight or in-spec chamber and snap it shut, you will either ruin the gauge or the chamber.
I always check with the extractor removed. On any gun. And on certain guns, like a break action, yes you can and probably should measure with the field gauge to see how much is sticking out of the chamber.

But just because it closed on a no go gauge doesn't necessarily mean the chamber is bad.

Just that the chamber is worn, or cut long.

And with my prior experience with NEF and H&R, they are typically cut long.

Also OP, if you're really worried about it, buy some cerrosafe and make a cast of the chamber so you'll know exactly what you are dealing with.

Those are my humble suggestions.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

John A. wrote:
dellet wrote: Actually, the proper way to check a break action with a No-go style gauge is not at all, or with the extractor removed and measure the amount of gauge sticking up or down out of the chamber.

If you drop the hardened steel gauge into a tight or in-spec chamber and snap it shut, you will either ruin the gauge or the chamber.
I always check with the extractor removed. On any gun. And on certain guns, like a break action, yes you can and probably should measure with the field gauge to see how much is sticking out of the chamber.

But just because it closed on a no go gauge doesn't necessarily mean the chamber is bad.

Just that the chamber is worn, or cut long.

And with my prior experience with NEF and H&R, they are typically cut long.

Also OP, if you're really worried about it, buy some cerrosafe and make a cast of the chamber so you'll know exactly what you are dealing with.

Those are my humble suggestions.
More just pointing it out to the op, since he stated that he closed the rifle on the gauge. It does not take much force to jam the gauge in to a shoulder that almost does not exist in the chamber

In any case I would be more likely to blame the ammo than the chamber. I've seen more short shoulders on commercial ammo than long chambers on rifles.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
amedeo1227

Post by amedeo1227 »

Well I bought a Wolff hammer spring from midway and it comes in on Friday.

I will try to put it in myself and try shooting it again with various ammo. I just want a reliable gun. Nothing more.
HotRodColt

Post by HotRodColt »

My Handi rifle didn't like the uncle mikes hammer extension at all. Had a misfire every 3-4 rounds. Found an aluminum extension on Numerich, that helped but I still seem to have 1-2 misfires per box of ammo. I think I am going to remove the 2-7 I have on there and replace it with a Pa 3x prismatic and ditch the hammer spur all together. I ordered a Wolff spring but I have yet to install it
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

Did a polish/trigger job on mine but never given me any problems at all. That little sucker is a tack driver!
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

One trick owners of the 300 Whisper TC's (parent of the 300 Blackout) did was to cut a recess in the rear of the chamber the size of the .357mag case head. Then they could shoot both 300 W or 357Max brass formed in a 300w die. This gave them a rim that was easier to hold and a cartridge that head paced on the rim. It would work just as well with 300 Blk single shots.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
HotRodColt

Post by HotRodColt »

Any luck with the Wolff spring kit?
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Three things could be the issue.

1) transfer bar timing. (Replace transfer bar)

2) Firing pin protrusion is too short.

3) WEAK FACTORY hammer spring.

Of coarse its may not be limited to just one of the three...

Good luck,
CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
fixit

Post by fixit »

one thing i've not seen mentioned is the issue of whether the barrel, fits the action correctly. i have a blackout barrel that required a .005 shim between the hinge pin and the lug before it would operate correctly, but, now it's a sweetheart! the reality is that h&r/n.e.f. kept their prices down by not holding the tolerances necessary for true interchageable barrels, meaning each barrel must be fitted to the action. if this barrel was not the original barrel for this action, that is a culprit i would definitely consider!
Chuckles
Silent Operator

Post by Chuckles »

Mine had similar issues, removing the hammer extension I initially added helped, however switching to CCI 400s or 450s really fixed it for me. The factory spring just won't ignite 41s on my end.