H&R Handi Rifle in 300blk having trouble firing

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

amedeo1227

H&R Handi Rifle in 300blk having trouble firing

Post by amedeo1227 »

I bought a 300blk Handi and the first time bringing it out, it had trouble firing all ammo.

It did shoot some, I think it was the Barnes, but nothing else. No American Eagle or Hornady.

There was a noticeable dent from the firing pin, but I might be getting light strikes, not sure.

Should I just go ahead and replace the hammer spring? As well as, polishing the cross bolt or whatever else it was I was reading about?

Coming here to see if anyone else had the same trouble I am having and what you did to fix it.

Thanks,
Mike
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: H&R Handi Rifle in 300blk having trouble firing

Post by Whole Bunches »

Is this brand new Handi or did you get it used? I ask, because someone may have "messed" with it trying to "improve" it.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Whole Bunches, New England Firearms (NEF) was closed by corporate decision of Remington entirely. They're no longer being produced in any form.

So, just being able to obtain replacement parts like springs and firing pins and the likes, will prove to be difficult at best.

I have been searching for a 300 blackout barrel for my gun for a while with no luck.

I'm not paying scalpers prices on egay and the likes. I saw one listed there for $400 that's been for sale for forever (with no takers obviously).

I can buy a brand new CVA blackout for less than half of what that goober is asking for just the barrel :roll:
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Free fixes:
You might not be snapping the action closed firmly enough to lock it up. This is a somewhat common occurrence with T/C Contenders and the like. Snap it closed smartly.

Another cause could be that the ammunition might be a bit long for the chamber, preventing the action from closing all the way. The case may be too long or the bullet is contacting the lands.
Chamber a round and snap the action closed. Then, open the action, remove the rounds and check for marks on the bullet (it would help if you blacken the bullet with a Sharpie or Magic Marker before chambering the round).

Fixes that wil cost money:
Try a different brand or bullet weight.

Replace the hammer spring if the ammunition is not the problem.

Send the gun back for warranty service and let them figure it out (they MIGHT send you a pre-paid shipping label, but don't count on it)..

mbogo
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Is Remington (or anyone) honoring a warranty considering that NEF no longer exists?
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

John A. wrote:Is Remington (or anyone) honoring a warranty considering that NEF no longer exists?

From the HR1871.com site:
NEF Brand Transition - What does this mean?
Explanation

We will discontinue the use of the New England Firearms brand name on our current firearms but not on firearm parts.
There will be no product changes. Parts and service for New England Firearms products will continue to be available under the New England Firearm brand name.

Consumer Services Number

Phone: 866-776-9292
Fax: 336-548-7801
Mike will have to call them to find out if he can get service & parts.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Does this possibly have a hammer spur/extension installed?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
amedeo1227

Post by amedeo1227 »

Just tried my two 300blk head space gauges.

Go and No Go both close on the rifle :|

Might be a loose chamber?

I bought a Wolff Hammer spring on midway.

But now I dont know if it's a safe rifle.....

I might call about the warranty work, this sucks.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

H&R barrels are chambered notoriously long.

I have a 357/38 barrel that in all likelihood could shoot a 357 maximum cartridge. If yours is also chambered long, this would also give you more loading options where supersonic ammo is concerned as well because (theoretically) you could seat them a little longer than saami max too if you put some cerrosafe in there and made a casting of it so you could do it safely.

Further, just because it closed on a no go gauge also doesn't mean that it's unsafe to shoot.

The proper method of checking is:

go, no go, field.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

John A. wrote:H&R barrels are chambered notoriously long.

I have a 357/38 barrel that in all likelihood could shoot a 357 maximum cartridge. If yours is also chambered long, this would also give you more loading options where supersonic ammo is concerned as well because (theoretically) you could seat them a little longer than saami max too if you put some cerrosafe in there and made a casting of it so you could do it safely.

Further, just because it closed on a no go gauge also doesn't mean that it's unsafe to shoot.

The proper method of checking is:

go, no go, field.
Actually, the proper way to check a break action with a No-go style gauge is not at all, or with the extractor removed and measure the amount of gauge sticking up or down out of the chamber.

If you drop the hardened steel gauge into a tight or in-spec chamber and snap it shut, you will either ruin the gauge or the chamber.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.