CVA V2 Range Report w/ Pics

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

CVA V2 Range Report w/ Pics

Post by Steve Urquell »

I've been looking at these CVAs for awhile, almost bought one in 44mag cuz I have a .44 mag revolver. Also have a .223 bolt action. I didn't want to buy anymore calibers than I had already. Then I found out 300BLK can be made from .223 brass and uses pistol powders I already had--Unique, 2400, 4227. So all I needed were dies, I can cut the brass down on my bandsaw and go to town.

I know the Blackout isn't a barnstormer but I like the idea of reloading .380ACP power level 90gr loads all the way up to 30-30 or 7.62/39 power levels or heavy 180-250gr subsonics. My LGS ordered this rifle as it sits with Konus Pro 3x9 scope, mount, and case for $300 delivered. It weighs 7lbs, trigger pull is a glass-breaking 2.5lbs with no take up or overtravel, 16.5" SS threaded, fluted barrel. I posed it with my 10/22 so you can see how compact it is. Ultimately gonna get a suppressor for it and shoot all subsonic.

On Nov 15: I shot 3 rounds at 25yds to sight in, cleaned the barrel, then set the target back to 50yds. 3 shots--One ragged hole. This is factory Rem 220gr OTM which doesn't even get the greatest reviews for accuracy. Recoil is as mild as my .223, report is like a .38spl. I'm thawing out while the barrel is soaking in cleaner again. I'll try a 100yd group. Pretty impressive little rifle.

100 Yards

Last group of the day, failing light, hands frozen off, sick from some plague the wife brought home. I fired a round at 100yds, checked the spotting scope and it wasn't on target. There was 1 hole 8" low. Fired another one right next to it. Patched the barrel and aimed with the top of the bottom duplex post. I never really settled in or felt good about the trigger pulls but still managed to land 3 in 1.25"

I believe this gun has sub-MOA potential. Probably with this ammo even. Reloads will really dial it in. Lol on the 8" drop at 100yds though.

Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Re: CVA V2 Range Report w/ Pics

Post by Steve Urquell »

It warmed up to 62deg here yesterday and I went to the garage and shot a few 100yd groups. I couldn't get the 220gr subsonics to group better than 1.5". They were shooting 6" low at this temp rather than the 8" low at below freezing temps though.

I picked up a box of Supersonic Rem UMC 120gr OTFB at Sprawl-Mart Sunday AM for $16.44. Cleaned the barrel after the 220s and shot 1 group. Just a hair over 1/2" at 100yds. That Bergara barrel is something else. Can't believe this $300 rifle is that accurate.

I lined up 6, 20oz water bottles with 2, 2L bottles behind them. The 120gr Supers shot thru 7 of them and ended up inside the last 2L. Looks like the tip came off in transit.

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Nice report! Not much info on the CVA rifles here. I look forward to more info :)
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

tallburnedmidget wrote:Nice report! Not much info on the CVA rifles here. I look forward to more info :)
Thanks!
I plan on reloading as soon as I get my Christmas gifts--all 300BLK reloading stuff. This was an early present from my wife. I'll update as I work up loads. Plan on starting with some 150gr 30-30 bullets and some subsonic 90gr Hornady XTPs loaded with Unique.

This barrel only has 23rds thru it and already shot .5 MOA. Shockingly accurate.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Good to hear.

If you are converting brass be sure to sort your brass according to the Good vs Bad list/info in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=82732
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

tallburnedmidget wrote:Good to hear.

If you are converting brass be sure to sort your brass according to the Good vs Bad list/info in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=82732
Thats good info. Right now I have mostly LC. The Rem Green box ammo has Rem brass. The Rem UMC brass is marked Barnes. First I've seen Barnes on a headstamp.
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

I got a die set and case trimmer for Christmas and loaded some subsonic mouse pHart loads today. Built a jig to cut down 223 brass on my band saw. Then it gets de-burred and run thru the resizing die, trimmed to length, de-burred again and then loaded. I ladder loaded Unique powder from 4-6gr with X-treme 150gr plated FPs, Win primers and 2.00 COAL.

Best group of the day was 4.5gr at 50 yards with a 1/4" group. Without earplugs it sounded a little quieter than my .22 magnum rifle and did not ring my ears. Just fired 1 round w/o plugs to see how loud it would be.

I could hear the supersonic crack going from the 5.0 to 5.5gr loads. I had (1) 5.0 gr load crack supersonic so I know 5.0grs was borderline sub/supersonic. I don't have a chronograph.

My Craptastic® jig

Ladder loads. 6ea for (2) 3 shot groups. A 7th round of each to see the POI change and check for pressure signs.

1/4" 3 shot 50yd group
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Steve Urquell wrote:I got a die set and case trimmer for Christmas and loaded some subsonic mouse pHart loads today. Built a jig to cut down 223 brass on my band saw. Then it gets de-burred and run thru the resizing die, trimmed to length, de-burred again and then loaded. I ladder loaded Unique powder from 4-6gr with X-treme 150gr plated FPs, Win primers and 2.00 COAL.

Best group of the day was 4.5gr at 50 yards with a 1/4" group. Without earplugs it sounded a little quieter than my .22 magnum rifle and did not ring my ears. Just fired 1 round w/o plugs to see how loud it would be.

I could hear the supersonic crack going from the 5.0 to 5.5gr loads. I had (1) 5.0 gr load crack supersonic so I know 5.0grs was borderline sub/supersonic. I don't have a chronograph.

My Craptastic® jig

Ladder loads. 6ea for (2) 3 shot groups. A 7th round of each to see the POI change and check for pressure signs.

1/4" 3 shot 50yd group
Great shooting!

I am looking for one of these myself... I would love to find a camo version, but the blk stocks like yours look good too!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

cwlongshot wrote:Great shooting!

I am looking for one of these myself... I would love to find a camo version, but the blk stocks like yours look good too!

CW
Thanks duder! This thing really surprises every time I shoot it. I read about the caliber, reloading it, problems etc before buying it. I figured I'd be happy to get 2 MOA groups out of it. Never dreamed it'd be shooting 1/2 MOA.

I'm pretty sure the entire rifle is made by Bergara and imported. My shipping box reflected that as it had the importer label on it. Too bad we can't get the EU version of its stock. They have a bigger selection. The V2 is called the BA13 and the front trigger guard break lever version is the Scout.

Its available over there with a "wood camo" stock, thumbhole, or Hunter Orange woodland.
Source: http://www.bergararifles.com/de/rifles/ ... rifle=BA13
http://www.bergararifles.com/de/rifles/ ... ifle=Scout
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Steve Urquell wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:Great shooting!

CW
Thanks duder! This thing really surprises every time I shoot it. I read about the caliber, reloading it, problems etc before buying it. I figured I'd be happy to get 2 MOA groups out of it. Never dreamed it'd be shooting 1/2 MOA.

I'm pretty sure the entire rifle is made by Bergara and imported. My shipping box reflected that as it had the importer label on it. Too bad we can't get the EU version of its stock. They have a bigger selection. The V2 is called the BA13 and the front trigger guard break lever version is the Scout.

Its available over there with a "wood camo" stock, thumbhole, or Hunter Orange woodland.
Source: http://www.bergararifles.com/de/rifles/ ... rifle=BA13
http://www.bergararifles.com/de/rifles/ ... ifle=Scout
I gave up looking for the CVA I wanted. :oops: I ordered another H&R form Palmetto. Should see in by February. :P

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS