Encore build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

farm use
Silent But Deadly

Encore build

Post by farm use »

I have 2 blkouts in AR platforms so I been wanting to put a barrel on my encore. Ordered the barrel yesterday. Now im looking at scopes, iv read most of the threads here on what everyone has and likes. I want something light for hunting and plinking 1-7 power or lower, sub loads suppressed, most hunting shots will be within 75yrds.
Here is what im looking at. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/317314 ... icle-matte with a weaver base and weaver rings. Thinking of going low rings I dont want to stretch my neck out, as long as I have enough clearance for the hammer ill be ok.

What ye say?
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Re: Encore build

Post by talonxracer »

You will need more than low rings, it is hard if not impossible to get your thumb on the hammer safely. I use a 1911 rail from EGW with 6 screw aluminum rings that are either mid height. I also took the cheekrest from the Choate M700 varmint stock(available individually in 3 heights, you will want the medium height rest) http://www.midwayusa.com/product/118989 ... uctFinding and simply screwed it onto the factory TC stock, it fits like it was designed to be on the stock.

I tried 2 different 1-4x scopes because they just seemed to be the ticket, but each time the scope's are removed after a few shooting sessions and a Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 is put back on. I have yet to find a scope with a better magnification range than the 2-7 power scopes. For me they are as easy to acquire a running deer in the scope as any 1x power scope and you have the extra magnification when it is needed.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
cplater

Post by cplater »

If the scope does not leave enough room to comfortably cock the hammer there is available hammer extensions that help. My setup has a Leupold 2-7x on a Weaver base and have no trouble with the hammer although I think the rings are medium. Then scope you've selected looks like it will work well.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Be careful with hammer extensions, I have seen several hammers with the spur broken off due to the extensions side loading the hammer(a cast part), make sure it is either aluminum or titanium(preferable) and has 3 set screws. With a cheek rest there is no need to use a ring set-up that is low and makes it difficult to access the hammer. I used a belt sander to match the lines of the factory stock and then covered it with a deer hide from a huge buck that my father shot soon after my birth over a half century ago!

And my 30RAR Encore with another version of the Choate cheekrest,
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Thanks for the input guys! I'm looking at a Nikon 300 scope also and guess I'll go with a medium set of rings. I have a DNZ game reaper mount on my 204 ruger barrel and it works OK.
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

You may find an intermediate eye relief scope that works for you.
I've got a Nikon "turkey scope" on a Handi that is mounted forward enough to clear the hammer.
I could be moved farther out with a longer rail.
Haven't tried it on my Encore or Contender.

golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

My Pro hunter has a "swing hammer" so it doesn't matter where the scope sits. Can be adjusted left/right. I have a Nikon prostaff on it now.

I think you can purchase the swing hammer upgrade kit for any Encore. May cost more than hammer extensions, but more reliable.
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

I believe you must send your frame in to get the swing hammer conversion.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Thanks guys, I found a good deal on a Nikon P300 and gona try it. Ordered some high weaver rings and a base. I went ahead and ordered a aluminum hammer extension to try also. Got to say I'm excited even though I have 2 other blkouts. I'll update the setup as I go. Going to try keep it primerly for sub's suppressed.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Got my barrel in today! Mounted it up and put a few test rounds through it. Got to say I like it, loudest thing is the hammer falling.