How to get ATF tax stamp for SBR

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gearyr

How to get ATF tax stamp for SBR

Post by gearyr »

I have a 300BLK pistol with a 8.5 inch barrel I put together myself. How do you go about getting ATF tax stamp for a SBR? Can you apply for the tax stamp for a SBR that is now a AR pistol? Thanks
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: How to get ATF tax stamp for SBR

Post by plant.one »

you'd need to fill out and submit a form 1. there are multiple threads here on the forum as well as a host of web info out there how to do this properly. just choose one from a reliable source and follow the steps. pretty simple process

you can submit this via e-forms on the batfe website.

converting a pistol to a SBR is a very common practice as you can work out all the bugs, etc as a pistol before you file for your SBR and the only change is you get to replace the buffer tube and attach your favorite stock choice when you get your stamp approved. it keeps you out of legal grey areas of the NFA registry by doing such.

goood luck and have fun!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

After you get your tax stamp is the time to buy the parts you need to "manufacture" the SBR. Before then don't buy anything other than the pistol and maybe an arm brace and do as Plant suggested by making sure it works. Manufacturing is what ATF calls the process of turning a handgun into an SBR and you will be the manufacturer. Before manufacturing it I would take it somewhere to get it engraved with the required information. The engraver will probably want it stripped so it just makes sense to get it done before the build and after you have the tax stamp in hand. The manufactured SBR requires (by ATF rules) that the name of the manufacturer and town is engraved to a certain depth.

One more thing that might trap you... before getting the tax stamp in hand you can put a fore grip on it, but it can't be vertical. Putting a vertical grip on a handgun puts one in violation. After the stamp is in hand do anything you want to it.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

BJK wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:33 pm The engraver will probably want it stripped so it just makes sense to get it done before the build and after you have the tax stamp in hand.
Personally, I always engrave BEFORE applying for the stamp. It would really suck to pay and wait for the stamp only to have something go wrong in the engraving process.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

That makes huge sense.
HarryStiles

Post by HarryStiles »

It's great to see someone who's passionate about building their own firearms. As for your question, getting an ATF tax stamp for an SBR can be a bit tricky, but it's definitely doable. Since you've built your 300BLK pistol, you can certainly apply for the tax stamp to convert it to an SBR. One solution that might be helpful for you is to check out PayStubCreator. It's a platform I use for generating paystubs for work, but it can also be a great resource for keeping track of your firearm-related expenses.