Savage Question?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

slickyboyboo79
Silent But Deadly

Savage Question?

Post by slickyboyboo79 »

I'm building a Savage 300 BLK. That said, what would you use for your build, a standard Model 10 style rifle, or go with an Axis?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Savage Question?

Post by tallburnedmidget »

slickyboyboo79 wrote:I'm building a Savage 300 BLK. That said, what would you use for your build, a standard Model 10 style rifle, or go with an Axis?
Well I'm biased as I did a barrel swap on an Axis to make my Savage 300BLK. Here is a detailed set of lessons learned and other info on my assembly:
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=80114&start=20#p760791

The Axis is a super cheap way to go unless you already have a Model 10 hanging around or can find a busted barrel .223.

Let me know if you have any questions over that information. It was done a few years ago but I may be able to recall any info you may need to know about.
slickyboyboo79
Silent But Deadly

Post by slickyboyboo79 »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
slickyboyboo79 wrote:I'm building a Savage 300 BLK. That said, what would you use for your build, a standard Model 10 style rifle, or go with an Axis?
Well I'm biased as I did a barrel swap on an Axis to make my Savage 300BLK. Here is a detailed set of lessons learned and other info on my assembly:

The Axis is a super cheap way to go unless you already have a Model 10 hanging around or can find a busted barrel .223.

Let me know if you have any questions over that information. It was done a few years ago but I may be able to recall any info you may need to know about.
The only thing I worry about is the quality of the Axis. I have a Savage Model 16 WW, and it's a lot higher quality (but it's supposed to be). What's the downside of building on an Axis action?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

slickyboyboo79 wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:

The only thing I worry about is the quality of the Axis. I have a Savage Model 16 WW, and it's a lot higher quality (but it's supposed to be). What's the downside of building on an Axis action?

The Axis' main quality issue is the stock. It's a "synthetic" stock (plastic). The action and barrels have never been an issue as far as I have experienced, heard from others, and read online.
I've fired a few different Axis rifles and they have all shot well. I think it may be the best line of budget rifles out there because I know 4-5 people who have them and they are all very accurate.

The trigger could use an upgrade but that is most out of the box triggers and I mine shoots fine. I believe the Savage Accutrigger works as a drop in upgrade so that's an easy solution if you really want to upgrade the trigger.

My biggest issue is that the Axis rifle is light with the synthetic stock. So when the wind is blowing you get a little more wiggle than if you had a solid wood stock or a heavier rifle.

Some major things to consider are that it may be easier to get a 300BLK Axis barrel than another type of Savage barrel AND understand that you need to get a "short" action and if your Savage is NOT a .223 then you must get a new .223 bolt or bolt face to do your conversion.

I found it simpler and cheaper to do the Axis conversion than another Savage type due to price, availability of parts/model, and information available so be sure to do your homework :)
slickyboyboo79
Silent But Deadly

Post by slickyboyboo79 »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
slickyboyboo79 wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:

The Axis' main quality issue is the stock. It's a "synthetic" stock (plastic). The action and barrels have never been an issue as far as I have experienced, heard from others, and read online.
I've fired a few different Axis rifles and they have all shot well. I think it may be the best line of budget rifles out there because I know 4-5 people who have them and they are all very accurate.

The trigger could use an upgrade but that is most out of the box triggers and I mine shoots fine. I believe the Savage Accutrigger works as a drop in upgrade so that's an easy solution if you really want to upgrade the trigger.

My biggest issue is that the Axis rifle is light with the synthetic stock. So when the wind is blowing you get a little more wiggle than if you had a solid wood stock or a heavier rifle.

Some major things to consider are that it may be easier to get a 300BLK Axis barrel than another type of Savage barrel AND understand that you need to get a "short" action and if your Savage is NOT a .223 then you must get a new .223 bolt or bolt face to do your conversion.

I found it simpler and cheaper to do the Axis conversion than another Savage type due to price, availability of parts/model, and information available so be sure to do your homework :)
I am working on my homework right now. I already have a heavy 17.5" 8 twist Savage Prefit Barrel, so I can check that off the list. The plan is to go with a Boyds stock, regardless of the action I choose (I have one on my model 16 WW, and I like it). The Boyds, are just as light as any of the B&C stocks for a short action savage. I am hoping I can find one that already has the Accutrigger, so I will have a decent trigger to start, and can upgrade that when I decide to. I am planning on only buying a 223, just simply for the ease of not having to change the bolt head.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

slickyboyboo79 wrote: I am working on my homework right now. I already have a heavy 17.5" 8 twist Savage Prefit Barrel, so I can check that off the list. The plan is to go with a Boyds stock, regardless of the action I choose (I have one on my model 16 WW, and I like it). The Boyds, are just as light as any of the B&C stocks for a short action savage. I am hoping I can find one that already has the Accutrigger, so I will have a decent trigger to start, and can upgrade that when I decide to. I am planning on only buying a 223, just simply for the ease of not having to change the bolt head.
Sounds like you are making good progress on finding all the pieces you want.

Don't forget the tools like the go, no-go guages, receiver wrench, barrel nut wrench etc. Assuming you are putting together yourself :)
slickyboyboo79
Silent But Deadly

Post by slickyboyboo79 »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
slickyboyboo79 wrote: I am working on my homework right now. I already have a heavy 17.5" 8 twist Savage Prefit Barrel, so I can check that off the list. The plan is to go with a Boyds stock, regardless of the action I choose (I have one on my model 16 WW, and I like it). The Boyds, are just as light as any of the B&C stocks for a short action savage. I am hoping I can find one that already has the Accutrigger, so I will have a decent trigger to start, and can upgrade that when I decide to. I am planning on only buying a 223, just simply for the ease of not having to change the bolt head.
Sounds like you are making good progress on finding all the pieces you want.

Don't forget the tools like the go, no-go guages, receiver wrench, barrel nut wrench etc. Assuming you are putting together yourself :)
Yeah, I plan to do the work myself. I found a SS Axis for a really good price yesterday, so it will be here next week. I already have the go and no-go gauges, just have to buy the wrenches. I'm also planning on getting the Axis Pillar and Mounting Clip Kit for a Boyd's stock, from V3 Tactical.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

slickyboyboo79 wrote: Yeah, I plan to do the work myself. I found a SS Axis for a really good price yesterday, so it will be here next week. I already have the go and no-go gauges, just have to buy the wrenches. I'm also planning on getting the Axis Pillar and Mounting Clip Kit for a Boyd's stock, from V3 Tactical.

Sounds like you are about set. Just make sure you turn the barrel nut wrench in the correct direction. I was turning the wrong way at first and that lead to some issues. I was able to fix them but had I not been a big hulking guy I never would have gotten the barrel unscrewed from the action hahaha
slickyboyboo79
Silent But Deadly

Post by slickyboyboo79 »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
slickyboyboo79 wrote: Yeah, I plan to do the work myself. I found a SS Axis for a really good price yesterday, so it will be here next week. I already have the go and no-go gauges, just have to buy the wrenches. I'm also planning on getting the Axis Pillar and Mounting Clip Kit for a Boyd's stock, from V3 Tactical.

Sounds like you are about set. Just make sure you turn the barrel nut wrench in the correct direction. I was turning the wrong way at first and that lead to some issues. I was able to fix them but had I not been a big hulking guy I never would have gotten the barrel unscrewed from the action hahaha
Very Good Tip! LOL
Armed in Utah

Post by Armed in Utah »

I would favor an older Savage 10-12-16 SA...top right side bolt release...

not anything with the trigger gaurd bolt release...

have no experience with the Axis series..