Ruger American Ranch rifle

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

chuckhunter

Ruger American Ranch rifle

Post by chuckhunter »

I picked up my new RARR in 300 Blk. this week. So far I cannot get any dummy rounds to feed from the magazine. It does appear to have a very tight chamber as far as headspace. Brass has to be full length sized. I hope to shoot it today if the weather cooperates.
Tom
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger American Ranch rifle

Post by cwlongshot »

chuckhunter wrote:I picked up my new RARR in 300 Blk. this week. So far I cannot get any dummy rounds to feed from the magazine. It does appear to have a very tight chamber as far as headspace. Brass has to be full length sized. I hope to shoot it today if the weather cooperates.
Tom
WELCOME & MERRY CHRISTmas!

Yes they cn be unfriendly to get to feed with some bullets...

I very much wanted to try RN 30-30 bullets when I first got mine. NO DICE they would not feed...

Just last night I re visited this now that its been a spell and I have hundreds of rounds thru mine and its mags. Its better for sure! I can now fit full 6 rnds in the mags that I was unable to for some time. I also played with the OAL and find that I CAN infact get these bullets to feed 100% if I seat them REAL LONG!

Play with the OAL, usually you need to make them LONGER so no worries on your loads and actually will find it a benefit.

The lest most cartridge is a 25/45 seated to 2.260. The middle is a 150g HP Winchester bullet seated to function thru the RARR. The last is a 190g lead sub loading also in 300 BLK.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
chuckhunter

Post by chuckhunter »

Thanks for the info. I shot a few shots today to break the barrel in. (one shot clean) I shot three groups of three this way. Average was under 1". The rifle fed without a hitch. These were with my reloads of 17.5 gr. of H110 and 125 gr. TNT. I forgot my stool and only had a front rest and the bench was covered in ice so I had to kneel and hold the rifle as best as I could in 30 degree weather. I am sure this rifle will shoot well.

I started with Remington 120 gr. UMC ammo. The first five had light primer hits and did not fire. I quit there. After I shot my reloads I tried another box of the Remington's. I tried two shells and both fired. Fun rifle!
Tom
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I never shot those. I have shot 4-5 boxes of 220g Remmys and YES I too had light hits.

I NEVER have them with my hand loads.

YES the rifle is extremely accurate once you find its preferd loading.

This gun likes your load with a Nosler BT

It also likes 17g 4227 and a 150g Hornady SP shooting them into ONE 40 cal hole at 100 yards!!

Thats for 5 SHOTS!

CW

Rich Coyle
Silent Operator

Post by Rich Coyle »

After mine misfired several times and would not feed I called Ruger. The customer service told me, "Don't use Remington or Barnes ammo. Use Gorilla and .... (I forgot the name of the second one.)." She also sent me two more magazines. In the mean time I went on line and discovered disassembling the magazine and adding one more twist to the spring solved the feeding problem. They would not cooperate with me about solving the misfiring.

I sold it and bought a Savage 16 .223 and a 17 1/2" .308 8" twist barrel blank to be turned and fitted to the Savage. I hate when things don't work and a company will not work with a customer.
chuckhunter

Post by chuckhunter »

cwlongshot: I also have a MGM Encore barrel in 300/221 that shoots like your Nosler load with several bullets. I shot three of the Armscore 220 gr. factory loads into .096 at 50 yds. Both guns are new so I have not had much of a chance to develop loads but if the Ruger shoots like the Encore there will be very little development necessary.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Rich Coyle wrote:After mine misfired several times and would not feed I called Ruger. The customer service told me, "Don't use Remington or Barnes ammo. Use Gorilla and .... (I forgot the name of the second one.)." She also sent me two more magazines. In the mean time I went on line and discovered disassembling the magazine and adding one more twist to the spring solved the feeding problem. They would not cooperate with me about solving the misfiring.

I sold it and bought a Savage 16 .223 and a 17 1/2" .308 8" twist barrel blank to be turned and fitted to the Savage. I hate when things don't work and a company will not work with a customer.
Rich,
I have had two dealings with CS over at Ruger and all I can say is they have won me as a customer for LIFE! I am surprised, you had a bad experience and where dissatisfied. You must have gotten a person having a bad day... no excuse just reality we are all human. You paved the way for someone else to enjoy the rifle and sounds like you may like its replacement so no foul I guess.

Im LOVIN MINE!

Merry CHRISTmas all,
CW