Savage Blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Rich Coyle
Silent Operator

Savage Blackout

Post by Rich Coyle »

I ordered a Savage .223 and a 17 1/2" 8" twist .308 barrel to turn the rifle into a Savage 300 Blackout. After I ordered the two items someone told me he heard folks were having trouble with this idea not working out. Anyone else heard this? What was their problem?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Savage Blackout

Post by dellet »

Probably having problems with the chamber adapting sleeve coming loose or not having enough barrel to cut off the 308 chamber and rechamber it for Blackout.

I know a few people that have done the conversion by buying a Savage barrel chambered in 300 Blackout and it worked out fine.

Savage 300 Blackout barrel

http://www.x-caliber.net/savage-pre-fit
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Rich Coyle
Silent Operator

Post by Rich Coyle »

dellet wrote:Probably having problems with the chamber adapting sleeve coming loose or not having enough barrel to cut off the 308 chamber and rechamber it for Blackout.

I know a few people that have done the conversion by buying a Savage barrel chambered in 300 Blackout and it worked out fine.

Savage 300 Blackout barrel

http://www.x-caliber.net/savage-pre-fit
The barrel is a blank 17 1/2"X1 1/4". It will have to be profiled, chambered, and threaded on both ends. I searched the 'net for a Blackout barrel. When I couldn't find one I ordered the blank. The barrel is here but the rifle is apparently coming by stage coach.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

OK so it's a 30 caliber barrel blank. Not a 308 chambered barrel. Your description was confusing.
No problem, have it reamed and head spaced and done. If you want to do it yourself it is possible but correct tools are needed.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Rich Coyle wrote:I ordered a Savage .223 and a 17 1/2" 8" twist .308 barrel to turn the rifle into a Savage 300 Blackout. After I ordered the two items someone told me he heard folks were having trouble with this idea not working out. Anyone else heard this? What was their problem?
I'm one of the people who converted a .223 Savage Axis to 300BLK that dellet mentions.

Here is a full write up of my lesson's learned viewtopic.php?f=137&t=80114&start=20#p760791

In short, I bought a .223 Savage Axis, a 300blk Savage Axis barrel (3rd party made), a few tools and parts to do the job. The post walks through the barrel swap as well as a few hiccups I had and how I resolved them.

I hope it helps you out :)
Rich Coyle
Silent Operator

Post by Rich Coyle »

tallburnedmidget,

Thanks for the link to your experience. I paid $499 for the new Savage 16 rifle and I think shipping was $16. The FFL transfer is $40 I believe he told me. The 17 1/2" 8' twist barrel cost $69 and had free shipping during November. I don't know what the Smith is going to charge to turn and chamber and thread the barrel. It will be threaded for a Thunder Beast Ultra 9. The Bushnell 4200 4-16X40 will be mounted in Talley lightweight high rings.

In fact the can is why I went with the 300 Blackout. It will be for sub only with 220 grain Out Law State bullets for coyotes.

As I reread this I can see this is going to be one expensive project.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Hate to break it to you but it will cost more to profile, thread and chamber that blank than it would be to buy a drop in barrel. I have built dozens of barrels from blanks and it takes a lot of time on a machine to do it right. I can say you will be lucky to find a smith that will do everything you want for under $300 and really lucky to find one under $250. I have the machines and the knowledge on how to do it but I still buy my barrels ready to be dropped in.

Sounds like you got the barrel from Green mountain, great barrels. One of the more important things to look for is the OD of the barrel. It must be at least 1.0625" to thread for the action assuming the action uses small shank barrels. Some of the barrels on the GM site are not large enough for a Savage.

And finally, Walmart sells real Savage rifles, not the Axis, for under $400 all day/every day. And you can get them on sale for under $350 with the cheap scope you can sell for $25. If you can find them the Stevens 200 is a better version of a Savage. It is a "as machined" Savage so the dimensions are a lot more precise than typical Savage models. The Savage models go through a "fluff and buff" by human hands and so every action is a little different.

The last Walamart Savage I bought cost me $350. It was a short action left hand which is kind of hard to find. It has the Accutrigger as well. I sold the take off barrel for $150. I sold the take off Walnut stock for $180. In the end I have almost nothing in the action. There are people who make a living buying and parting out Savages.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Rich Coyle
Silent Operator

Post by Rich Coyle »

It would make no difference what a ready made barrel would save or not. I couldn't find one. I think the $250 figure is about what he told me he would charge.

The barrel is 1.25" diameter. More than enough for almost any machinist to turn 1 1/16" threads.

I looked at Walmart and other places. I wanted what I wanted and that was a stainless lightweight. That narrowed it down to a model 16. Therefore I had to pay for what I want.

You came out smelling like a rose on you purchase and subsequent selling of parts. Congrats on that. I will keep the .223 barrel and get the necessary tools to switch it back to a .223 when I want to take a kid deer or varmint hunting. If the stock is not as light as an MPI then I will sell it. If it is within a couple ounces it stays.