Remington 700 chamber

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TMD
Silent But Deadly

Remington 700 chamber

Post by TMD »

o a while back I picked up a nib Rem 700 SPS .300bo dirt cheap from a friend. I took it out once and did a side by side comparisons with my RARR and though the Ruger would have the edge since each load I had was tailored to it. Needless to say they Remington was just as accurate with each load so I sold the Ruger and kept the Remington. Well today I went to take it out and test some of those blemished 110g black tips everyone snagged for cheap and thought I would check my zero first with my 150g Hornady SST's. Problem is they wouldn't chamber. I have them loaded to 2.220" which I know some say is too long but they have chambered just fine in 3 different AR's and my old Ruger. I tried several different rounds and with each one it would stop just as the bolt is almost to the point to where you lock it down. I know I could easily seat them a little deeper until the bolt closes but they are a compressed load (21.0g of a1680). I guess worst case is I will save them for my AR's.
Oh and for what its worth the 110g blemished black tips loaded with 19.0g of Lil'Gun grouped under an inch @ 100 yards.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Remington 700 chamber

Post by smustian »

Same thing happened with my Rem 270 ADL (1992) and son in law Rem 270 SPS (2015). I had to set the bullet .005 deeper for his rifle and now they chamber just fine. Tack driver too.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Sounds like your chamber is short.

You really need a way to measure base to ogive, but if you have a Sheridan, you can fake it. basically just drop a bullet in the gauge and if the point sticks out the bottom, you can load it to at least 2.260".

For what it's worth I load those to 2.290+ for my bolt actions to be .005" off the lands.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Base to shoulder datum could be long on your reloads. I'd try bumping the shoulder back .001. Also, you can pull one of those rounds down and just chamber the brass. If it's still a tight close, the aforementioned is your problem.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

rebel wrote:Base to shoulder datum could be long on your reloads. I'd try bumping the shoulder back .001. Also, you can pull one of those rounds down and just chamber the brass. If it's still a tight close, the aforementioned is your problem.
I don't think the brass is the issue. All my other loads chambered and fired just fine with the same brass. I'm almost certain its the bullet seated too long. When I get the time I will measure the chamber and adjust the bullet seating depth. Just found it odd that these loads worked in so many other guns without issue but not this one.