My RAR mods - picture heavy

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300_blackout

My RAR mods - picture heavy

Post by 300_blackout »

I purchased my Ruger American Ranch 6968 about a year ago and have done a bunch to it since. When I received the rifle the first thing I noticed was the barrel touching the end of the stock. I removed the action from the stock and tried to re-seat it but it still touched. So I broke out a dowel and some sandpaper and fixed that issue promptly. Then while I was cleaning it for the first time I noticed some metal flakes in a hole on the bolt from poor machining. I cleaned them out by disassembling the bolt and had to knock off a shard that was still attached. During my first range trip I had several soft primer strikes with Hornady ammo. I chalked all this up to it just being a cheap rifle.
On come the mods.

First was the install of a Glades Armory bolt handle. The install was relatively simple and looks and feels great.

Then I did the trigger job that requires removing some coils on the trigger spring and some light polishing. This made a phenomenal difference from an already nice 4-5 pound pull down to a crisp 2 pounds.

Then came the biggest chore. Stiffening the stock with Bondo (metal re-enforced) and topped with JB Weld (Plastic Bonder). I roughed up the inside of the stock with a Dremel tool and ground small grooves for the Bondo to hold. I had read story's of it popping out like ice cubes. Then I topped the Bondo off with a layer of JB Weld, I did observe that it didn't seem to get a great bond to the stock. I will see how it holds up over time.

Lastly, the paint job. I ordered some digital camo stencils from Amazon, Krylon Camo paint and primer. I taped off the glass, chamber and a few other areas. Then I cleaned the surfaces with 0000 steel wool and isopropyl alcohol and then primed the rifle in matte grey, then a solid coat of olive, then my first attempt at using stencils. I had tried some kakhi but didn't like how it looked. I plan on repainting when summer comes around and then finishing with a matte clear paint to seal it all up.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Re: My RAR mods - picture heavy

Post by TMD »

Nice work
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Just curious. What is that on the end of your barrel? It looks to little to be a suppressor. Also the coin in one of the pictures is Canadian, assuming you are in Canada. Are cans legal in Canada?

You really are doing good work on your rifle.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Looks like you did a great job. Sanding down the interior of the stock was one of the first and really the only mods I've done to mine other than adjusting the trigger down. About how much weight would you say you added in reinforcing the stock? I've seen a few other guys on here do something similar but I really enjoy how light the rarr is and question if I want to sacrifice that.
300_blackout

Post by 300_blackout »

hardcase wrote:Just curious. What is that on the end of your barrel? It looks to little to be a suppressor. Also the coin in one of the pictures is Canadian, assuming you are in Canada. Are cans legal in Canada?

You really are doing good work on your rifle.
Thanks. That's a S&J Hardware Linear Compensator. Yup, I'm Canadian. We are unfortunately not allowed suppressors here. Still have yet to shoot suppressed, might need a trip to the States to try it one day.
300_blackout

Post by 300_blackout »

SwampDog_13 wrote:Looks like you did a great job. Sanding down the interior of the stock was one of the first and really the only mods I've done to mine other than adjusting the trigger down. About how much weight would you say you added in reinforcing the stock? I've seen a few other guys on here do something similar but I really enjoy how light the rarr is and question if I want to sacrifice that.
Thanks. It definitely adds some weight, I was tempted to fill the butt stock to even it out but that would mean making it more heavy. I'd say I added at least a pound. I think it's worth it, the forend is really stiff now.