300 blackout bolt action

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 blackout bolt action

Post by Netpackrat »

A-Game wrote:I personally like a bolt gun I can attach a magazine. Pacific tool and gage makes a bottom metal that you can attach to use GI Magazines and run 10, 20, or 30 round mags with your bolt gun. That would give you continuity of arms between your AR and your bolt gun. How cool is that. If you have long hand loads you can still single load them.
Recently bought a bare M7 Remington action at a local shop and ordered all the stuff to put together a rifle (AAC is blowing out the last of their 7/700 barrels for $150 each). I looked at PTG's options for bottom metal and ended up going with the mag well that takes AICS magazines. Not for the reason Dellet mentioned, but because their mag well for AR magazines requires machining the receiver, so it appears to be a one way conversion.
gunguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunguy »

I really like my ruger, it's slowly turning into my favorite rifle, Remington makes nice rifles, but for the price and accuracy I'd look at the ruger.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Max713
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Max713 »

Rich Coyle wrote:My Ruger is indisposed waiting for a stronger firing pin spring. Ruger wouldn't fix it. They told me to use Gorilla brand factory ammo and never use reloads. With the help of the internet I was able to get the factory trigger below their minimum of 3LB. Mine is set at twenty ounces. :P
Care to share your source of info? :mrgreen:
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

gunguy wrote:I really like my ruger, it's slowly turning into my favorite rifle, Remington makes nice rifles, but for the price and accuracy I'd look at the ruger.
I removed the trigger spring on mine and replaced it with a spring from a ball point pen. Cut it so it was two coils longer than the factory spring. I also polished the trigger surfaces with a fine diamond hone. It now breaks cleanly and consistently at 1lb 9oz. It still has a little creep and theirs an easy fix for it as well but I may sell it so I haven't done it yet. Torn on keeping it or my Remington 700.
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

I am not really into blued rifles anymore as they rust to easy where i hunt, lots of rain and coastal environments. So I rebarreled a second hand Tikka T3 .223 to a 12" 1:7 300 blackout. Longest shot on deer 251m with subs and 300m with supers. A rangefinder and a good quility dailup scope is more inportant than the rifle for longer range shots. Shot plenty of deer and pigs mostly with subs, got 3 deer and 7 pigs plus 6 piglets on my last trip in the bush the other day.

This is the biggest boar so far 180 lb using Lehigh 194gr ME
spinal tap
Silent Operator

Post by spinal tap »

tikkablk wrote:I am not really into blued rifles anymore as they rust to easy where i hunt, lots of rain and coastal environments. So I rebarreled a second hand Tikka T3 .223 to a 12" 1:7 300 blackout. Longest shot on deer 251m with subs and 300m with supers. A rangefinder and a good quility dailup scope is more inportant than the rifle for longer range shots. Shot plenty of deer and pigs mostly with subs, got 3 deer and 7 pigs plus 6 piglets on my last trip in the bush the other day.

This is the biggest boar so far 180 lb using Lehigh 194gr ME
Nice Tikka package. Any feeding issues with the factory magazines?
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

No issues with the factory mags, I run two 3 shot mags and a 6 shot mag.
spinal tap
Silent Operator

Post by spinal tap »

tikkablk wrote:No issues with the factory mags, I run two 3 shot mags and a 6 shot mag.
Good to know. I'm a Tikka fan, but haven't considered one for a 300 BLK project until now. Thanks for the info!
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote: Recently bought a bare M7 Remington action at a local shop and ordered all the stuff to put together a rifle (AAC is blowing out the last of their 7/700 barrels for $150 each). I looked at PTG's options for bottom metal and ended up going with the mag well that takes AICS magazines. Not for the reason Dellet mentioned, but because their mag well for AR magazines requires machining the receiver, so it appears to be a one way conversion.
Turns out, the PTG bottom metal doesn't fit the magwell cutout in the Remington factory synthetic stock. Probably going to send it back to PTG.
Rich Coyle
Silent Operator

Post by Rich Coyle »

Netpackrat wrote:
Netpackrat wrote: Recently bought a bare M7 Remington action at a local shop and ordered all the stuff to put together a rifle (AAC is blowing out the last of their 7/700 barrels for $150 each). I looked at PTG's options for bottom metal and ended up going with the mag well that takes AICS magazines. Not for the reason Dellet mentioned, but because their mag well for AR magazines requires machining the receiver, so it appears to be a one way conversion.
Turns out, the PTG bottom metal doesn't fit the magwell cutout in the Remington factory synthetic stock. Probably going to send it back to PTG.
Here is why expect their stuff to be wrong. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/ptg-137373/