700 sps tactical

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

700 sps tactical

Post by GTO Kroh »

Anyone know why it was such a limited build? I have one and personally love it. But I have heard all kinds of horror stories of mismarked barrel twists and I personally suffered the trigger recall issue.
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 700 sps tactical

Post by GTO Kroh »

Maybe I am wrong about them not making it anymore. I just found them on their site again. I am an idiot what can I say? But I have heard about barrels in early models being incorrectly stamped (according to Lehigh defense) that's why they had disclaimers on there site about heavy sub loads and the remington.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It might be worth a call to Remington to find out if they are still actually being made. It may just be a temporary halt in production due to the move last year. It might be they just don't have a clue to tell you.

As for the 1/10 twist debacle it is absolutely true that it happened, I have one. I kept it because it is very accurate and stabilizes almost everything I have thrown at it. Powder choice helped with stability, 1680 won't do it. Faster powders helped and were much quieter.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTO Kroh »

dellet wrote:It might be worth a call to Remington to find out if they are still actually being made. It may just be a temporary halt in production due to the move last year. It might be they just don't have a clue to tell you.

As for the 1/10 twist debacle it is absolutely true that it happened, I have one. I kept it because it is very accurate and stabilizes almost everything I have thrown at it. Powder choice helped with stability, 1680 won't do it. Faster powders helped and were much quieter.
Thank you. Basically what I was looking for. I need to slug my barrel and see if mine is marked correctly or not. So far though with Hornady subs it has shot fine. And my loads seem to do OK as well.
Now more work to do.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

GTO Kroh wrote:
dellet wrote:It might be worth a call to Remington to find out if they are still actually being made. It may just be a temporary halt in production due to the move last year. It might be they just don't have a clue to tell you.

Thank you. Basically what I was looking for. I need to slug my barrel and see if mine is marked correctly or not. So far though with Hornady subs it has shot fine. And my loads seem to do OK as well.
Now more work to do.
Use a cleaning rod and mark it, patch it tight and count the rotation of your mark as you run it down the barrel. Two turns for 1/7, turn and a half for 1/10.

For what it's worth I shot 2 1/2" groups with both Hornady 208 ELD's and Berger 230's in a 1/10 twist AR. The 230 Bergers are longer than the Lehigh 194's. I can't remember if I ever shot the Lehigh's in the 1/10.
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTO Kroh »

Well here is mine. Sadly mine is a 1-10 twist barrel. Looks like it's time to read barrel.. so who sells a nice 16.5" 1-7 medium heavy or heavy profile barrel. Preferably fluted.

Last edited by GTO Kroh on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Remington will replace it free, but it's another trip back to them.

These guys did mine. They will contour, thread and I believe do a short chamber, so you can finish it once it is in your action. You would need to call or email to confirm that. Dustin would be the one to talk to.
http://x-caliber.net/contoured-blanks
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

Do the 556 Magpul AI mags fit in the short action hunter stock? Or do you have to buy the true AICS ones?
I have my .308 in that stock with the bottom metal and 762 mags and really enjoy it and was interested in maybe putting my blackout in one too.
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTO Kroh »

Aggie wrote:Do the 556 Magpul AI mags fit in the short action hunter stock? Or do you have to buy the true AICS ones?
I have my .308 in that stock with the bottom metal and 762 mags and really enjoy it and was interested in maybe putting my blackout in one too.
It's an aics mag . One of the cheap ones that Brownells sells .
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

GTO Kroh wrote:Well here is mine. Sadly mine is a 1-10 twist barrel. Looks like it's time to read barrel.. so who sells a nice 16.5" 1-7 medium heavy or heavy profile barrel. Preferably fluted.

How do you like the MagPul stock? I have a SPS in .300bo and love it but that rubber band Hogue calls a stock has to go.