Raar first timer need scope

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

450rbronco

Raar first timer need scope

Post by 450rbronco »

So I just picked up my all American rifle and need a scope for on it. I really like my Nikon stuff I have and its in my price range. I will be using this rifle for play and mainly for deer hunting in the woods of pa. So keyword is my typical shot will be 50 to 100 yards. So I can't see buying the p300 scope with bdc on it for the 300 round because it's based for 100 to 600 yard range. I have looked at nikons 2-7x32 rim Fire bdc scope though and it's bdc chart is setup for much shorter ranges. And I've used the spot on app to look at the bdc calculations on that reticle and they seem more in my range.
So my stupid question is even though it's advertised as a rim fire scope does that mean a dang thing if the bdc charts come out to what I like? Will it take the harder jars from the bigger round?

Just trying to find a scope with bdc that suits my distances best! Since I will never shoot long range. I'd say 200 max and that would be at the range probably. Thanks
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Re: Raar first timer need scope

Post by KTMRacer »

I use the Nikons on my sub guns for that reason. As long as you have the Spot On app it doesn't matter. You tell it which scope you have that has the BDC and them put your load data in.
FWIW I use a 3x9x40 Buckmaster. $99 to my door from EBay.
I have my dope card taped to my scope based on my 125gr SSTs in 9x and 6x for a 100 yard zero (the reticle changes zero past 100 yards based on magnification). I also have three other sub loads that use some of the other points at 50 yards.
450rbronco

Post by 450rbronco »

Thanks. Seems the rimfire bdc reticle best suits my distances unless I'm looking at it all wrong. I have a lot of learning to do!
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

I've got one of the Nikons but picked up a lower end Vortex when Midway had them on sale. They are head and shoulders clearer and sharper than the Nikons.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

450rbronco wrote:Thanks. Seems the rimfire bdc reticle best suits my distances unless I'm looking at it all wrong. I have a lot of learning to do!
Are you shooting subs or supers?
450rbronco

Post by 450rbronco »

I will be shooting both but for now mainly supers till I get a can then I can shoot subs. If I was only ever gonna shoot supers at my distance I don't see much need for bdc. But when I go to shoot subs I think the bdc will be nice.
I have heard really good info about the vortex scopes also! The spot on app from Nikon has me really intrigued since it will tell me what my subs will be dropping for each line. Not sure if that would cross over onto vortexs scope ?
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I liked this Millet ALLOT accept for its weight problem..

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

double posting...

CW

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

450rbronco wrote:So I just picked up my all American rifle and need a scope for on it. I really like my Nikon stuff I have and its in my price range. I will be using this rifle for play and mainly for deer hunting in the woods of pa. So keyword is my typical shot will be 50 to 100 yards. So I can't see buying the p300 scope with bdc on it for the 300 round because it's based for 100 to 600 yard range. I have looked at nikons 2-7x32 rim Fire bdc scope though and it's bdc chart is setup for much shorter ranges. And I've used the spot on app to look at the bdc calculations on that reticle and they seem more in my range.
So my stupid question is even though it's advertised as a rim fire scope does that mean a dang thing if the bdc charts come out to what I like? Will it take the harder jars from the bigger round?

Just trying to find a scope with bdc that suits my distances best! Since I will never shoot long range. I'd say 200 max and that would be at the range probably. Thanks

I use the Nikon P-22 with BDC on my 300BLk bolt gun. I believe they stopped calling it P-22 and started calling it by the name of the scope you saw.

With that said I love it. The dots are helpful for sub shooting though I need to do more work with it. My prelminary sub shooting with the BDC dots has been promising since 22 rimfire ammo can travel at about sub speeds.

I say go for it because I believe it is the same scope I have in the P-22 Nikon!

I've had no problem taking deer at 100yds with the scope and I have noticed no issue with the 300BLK kick affecting the scope. Let's face it the 300BLK doesn't really kick much.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

My single issue/problem with the Nikons is the turrets... they really NEED a lock...

CW