Raar first timer need scope

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

450rbronco

Raar first timer need scope

Post by 450rbronco »

So I just picked up my all American rifle and need a scope for on it. I really like my Nikon stuff I have and its in my price range. I will be using this rifle for play and mainly for deer hunting in the woods of pa. So keyword is my typical shot will be 50 to 100 yards. So I can't see buying the p300 scope with bdc on it for the 300 round because it's based for 100 to 600 yard range. I have looked at nikons 2-7x32 rim Fire bdc scope though and it's bdc chart is setup for much shorter ranges. And I've used the spot on app to look at the bdc calculations on that reticle and they seem more in my range.
So my stupid question is even though it's advertised as a rim fire scope does that mean a dang thing if the bdc charts come out to what I like? Will it take the harder jars from the bigger round?

Just trying to find a scope with bdc that suits my distances best! Since I will never shoot long range. I'd say 200 max and that would be at the range probably. Thanks
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Re: Raar first timer need scope

Post by 80hp »

1. Get a mil-dot scope! The bdc scopes are good for only one or two loads at the most. With a mil-dot you can compensate for all of your loads.
FYI-The distance between the marks on my mil-dots is 2" at 50 meters.
2. If you want to use standard rings, pay attention to the distance between the turret and the eyepiece of the scope. Some short scopes have so little distance you can't adjust them close enough to your eye to see the full view.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
goalie

Post by goalie »

I have a Weaver Classic fixed 4x on mine. It works great for deer hunting. The distances I shoot deer at (muzzle burns on the fur to 125 yards) I don't need anything fancy, just something that holds zero, doesn't fog, and allows me to put a round in the vitals.
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

BDC and mildot reticles are more than is necessary for shooting 200 yards max. A simple duplex reticle gives 2 distinct aiming points, and its not terribly difficult to split the difference. I prefer low powered variables with 6x as maximum magnification. I have a Leupold 1.5-5x on my little boltgun.

Nikon makes the Monarch 3 1-4x20 with both German #4 and BDC reticles.

Natchez has the Weaver 1-5x (30mm tube) Dangerous Game scope and , European 1-5x (30mm)with illuminated reticle on sale.

Longer eye relief (3.5"+) makes getting correct eye relief easier on scopes with short tubes.
Black Rifles Matter