700 sps rifle and gunsmith recommendations

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Janichola

700 sps rifle and gunsmith recommendations

Post by Janichola »

Hello all,
Freakin new guy here. Been lurking for a while, finally ready to pull the trigger on a 300blk bolt gun. After looking around, I think I've settled on a Remington 700SPS. I'm looking to make some upgrades to the rifle, and thus, am asking for some advice. First bit I've noticed is everyone swapping out the hogue stock. Ideally looking for a lightweight folding stock with adjustable comb and lop. This is a gun I'll be carrying on long hikes; I know the 700 is heavier than the RAR so cutting weight is a priority. However, accuracy comes first. I've seen some sub minute groups posted by RAR owners and am having a difficult time believing that a stock ruger will consistently shoot sub Moa. Maybe I'm wrong in this line of thinking. Next thing I would like to do is have the action trued - I'd also like to be able to use detachable magazines. Lastly, I'll like to have the gun cerakoted. I'm a firm believer in the "buy once cry once" philosophy. That said, I don't want to spend much more than $2k on what will essentially be a brush gun. Anyone have good rec's for a qualified 'smith who does good work? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks for having me!
Edit: sorry for the double post, mods can you delete one, thanks.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: 700 sps rifle and gunsmith recommendations

Post by bangbangping »

Welcome. If cutting weight is a priority, have you considered the AAC Micro 7? It has a lighter barrel and is built on the Model 7 action. You can buy bottom metal and detachable mags. Sorry, I don't have a smith recommendation.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Janichola wrote:Hello all,
Freakin new guy here. Been lurking for a while, finally ready to pull the trigger on a 300blk bolt gun. After looking around, I think I've settled on a Remington 700SPS. I'm looking to make some upgrades to the rifle, and thus, am asking for some advice. First bit I've noticed is everyone swapping out the hogue stock. Ideally looking for a lightweight folding stock with adjustable comb and lop. This is a gun I'll be carrying on long hikes; I know the 700 is heavier than the RAR so cutting weight is a priority. However, accuracy comes first. I've seen some sub minute groups posted by RAR owners and am having a difficult time believing that a stock ruger will consistently shoot sub Moa. Maybe I'm wrong in this line of thinking. Next thing I would like to do is have the action trued - I'd also like to be able to use detachable magazines. Lastly, I'll like to have the gun cerakoted. I'm a firm believer in the "buy once cry once" philosophy. That said, I don't want to spend much more than $2k on what will essentially be a brush gun. Anyone have good rec's for a qualified 'smith who does good work? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks for having me!
I've owned both the Remmy and the Ruger. Sold the Remmy and kept the Ruger. Believe it or not but it shoots sub moa and weighs way less that the Rem.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Janichola wrote: I've seen some sub minute groups posted by RAR owners and am having a difficult time believing that a stock ruger will consistently shoot sub Moa. Maybe I'm wrong in this line of thinking.
You are correct in the fact that your wrong 8) . Mine is as consistently sub moa as the day is long.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress though.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

My RARR will shoot <.500" 3 shot groups at 50yds with factory Barnes TAC-X 110gr ammo all day long. Most of these groups are in the 300's.
I opened up the bbl channel just a little and did a spring cut of 1 3/4 coils and now it breaks at 2lbs 6ozs as per my Lyman digital guage. SIMPLE trigger fix. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

Janichola wrote:Hello all,

well for what your asking 2 grand isnt going to cover it . I have a 700 remington aac blackout and yes the houge stock sucks I swapped out the stock to a bell and carlson and called it good . with barnes 110 grain I can shoot .72-.9 groups at 100 yds quit frequently but not all day because I am the weak link . I can do 1 moa-1.5 moa at 100 yds with 225 grain hornady match traveling at 1020 fps . If you really feel the need for a folding stock check out mdt chassis that will also get you a detachable magazine . I really dont see the need to true the acion and go bonkers on a bunch of gunsmithing for a 200 -250 yd hunting rifle . ceracote would be nice . Or you could get a ruger rarr and call it good.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have a Rem 700 SPS in 300 BO. Love the gun. But the stock is pitiful and heavy. What is great is the ability to customize to you liking. My first step was a trigger upgrade to a Timney adjustable set at 24 oz and my best scope with Leupold rings. Stay away from Doubletap Hunter ammo as the bolt won't close on them.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

pruhdlr wrote:My RARR will shoot <.500" 3 shot groups at 50yds with factory Barnes TAC-X 110gr ammo all day long. Most of these groups are in the 300's.
I opened up the bbl channel just a little and did a spring cut of 1 3/4 coils and now it breaks at 2lbs 6ozs as per my Lyman digital guage. SIMPLE trigger fix. --- pruhdlr
I pulled my spring and replaced it with one from a ball point pen. Cut it two coils longer and bent the end to match. Also polished the trigger surface. It breaks clean at 1lb 9oz.
Janichola

Post by Janichola »

I appreciate all the input, thanks guys. Still looking for ideas on a 'smith and/or rec's on a folding stock. Any thoughts on the AICS AT? If all else fails I guess I'll roll with the RARR. Or I may hold off and wait to see if something better pops up. I know myself well enough to know I want the best. Any time I've ever settled for a gun I ended up selling it and trading up anyway. There's no logic to it, its just how I am. My safe currently has two perazzi's, two Larue's, a slew of Noveskes, and a couple of Rifle dynamics. For all of those guns I've purchased and sold perfectly serviceable and solid "lower end" models. I'm not knocking the RARR, I'm sure it runs great. I'm flexible on the $2k price as long as no one tells the Mrs. :roll:
ncbowhnter
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncbowhnter »

Sounds like you are hung up on the Remington even though the ruger will prob be lighter and just as accurate. I understand though, I can get the same way when I get something in my head. Lots more upgrades out there for the Remington though.
Check out the XLR element. You can get the folding stock adapter for it. Not sure if having the action trued will be worth it or not. 300bo is not necessarily a long range competition round. Although the Remington 700 I have from the factory in 300BO is easily the most accurate rifle I have ever shot at 100yds. Even smokes our sniper rifles that our department has.
I think I just happened to get a good factory barrel on mine, even though I've had issues with it (light primer strikes). I'll probably end up putting it in a chassis later on just for the ease of bolt on and detachable mags. Plus they look better in my opinion.
Get a factory Remington aac-sd with the folding element chassis and you will be under 2k.